Old 17-07-2019, 04:04 PM
paul71 (Paul.)

Zwo 294 mc pro settings.

Hi folks just wondering if anybody else out there is using the zwo294mc pro
camera and what gain settings and exposure times you are using.
I have paired this camera with an 80mm APO and am not sure where to start as far as gain is concerned.
Do i do short subs with high gain or longer subs with lower gain please let me know what works for you guys on objects like Triffid and Lagoon nebs.
Old 17-07-2019, 08:27 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I have one. First thing, if mine (using an ED72) is anything to go by, get a UV-IR filter in there, the difference that made on mine was insane.

Secondly. I have done ten minute (and a few 20 minute) subs at zero gain but mostly I have been doing 5 minutes at 120 gain. Once I get an adapter back that is being modified to mount my UV-IR filter nicely I will have to start again to see what is what sub length wise. But 300 seconds at 120 gain is a good place to start.
Old 18-07-2019, 08:54 AM
tileys

I am using it with a 200mm f/4 (fast) scope with a Baader MPCC and a SVBony LPS filter (trying that out) and I have so far standardised on just a little above unity gain - 140, and am exposing for 60 sec subs - live stacking into Sharpcap - at zero degrees temp setting - it looks to be a good general setting for brighter objects but I feel I need longer subs or a higher gain (and maybe a better LPS filter or an additional IR cut or Lum filter) for dimmer objects like M83. It's still early days for me with this cam and I am now holding off for a little while until the moon rises a bit later to get rid of some of the skyglow.

I watched a great vid on YTube by the Sharpcap creator where he discussed the key variables for noise, temp etc. The sensor on these is not very noisy at all and can I think be pushed into higher gain without too much noticeable noise and it seems that you really will not notice much improvement if you drag the temp much below 5 degrees and indeed, if you try and pull it down to e.g. -5, -10, -15 you are probably just creating problems for yourself with icing.

Be keen to hear of other peoples experiences with it.

Cannot upload images from here easily - might do so later...
Old 18-07-2019, 08:04 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I normally run mine at -15 degrees and have not had any ice issues so far.

I found I did not like the look of higher gain long subs as much so I settled on the F4.9 setup at 5 minutes and 120 gain. As I said. Having added the filter I will need to re evaluate that as issues I was seeing were probably more related to the IR than to anything else.