Old 12-10-2011, 06:47 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Re Live View in EOS

Does anyone here use Live View on their EOS cameras? (non astronomy use)

My son is starting to use the 600D quite a bit,and tried using today,but it went into 'la la' land,when he was about to shoot.I have never really used live view for regular use,all I know is,it uses a fair bit of battery power,and obviously there is a camera default that switches off after a certain time,this could be lengthened ?

Also,I heard it may introduce more noise?,I can see its good for glam shoots when camera connected to computer in a studio.But not sure if live view is something used for 'out'n'about use.

If anyone has any links or thoughts on live view,I can pass on to him.

Thanks Chris
Old 12-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

LiveView for landscapes in Exposure Simulation mode is the bomb. Can't do without it.

I've also used it for portraits to nail down focus (particularly with people staggered about).

I'm not sure if the 600D offers the same level of options as the 5D Mark II does, though.

It's all explained in the manual!

H
Old 12-10-2011, 07:55 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
LiveView for landscapes in Exposure Simulation mode is the bomb. Can't do without it.

I've also used it for portraits to nail down focus (particularly with people staggered about).

I'm not sure if the 600D offers the same level of options as the 5D Mark II does, though.

It's all explained in the manual!

H

Thanks-H

I'll try that myself with the 50D,I've never really used L.V much.

Chris
Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 PM
naskies (Dave)

I agree with Mr H... can't live with it anymore - though I used to wonder why I ever needed it

I find it great for composing landscapes with the sun in frame (so I don't have to burn my eyeballs looking through the viewfinder), all macro work - the viewfinder is usually in a difficult-to-reach position, precise focusing on a tripod, and getting feedback in real time. The 5DmkII (and presumably 600D) also has a silent shooting mode in LiveView.

If you're tethered to a laptop, seeing the LiveView display on the laptop screen is fantastic. (When in this mode, you can press the LiveView button on the camera again to see it on the back of the camera too.)

Btw, the switching off is just the camera's normal sleep timer - disable or extend it in the menus.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:08 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskies View Post
I agree with Mr H... can't live with it anymore - though I used to wonder why I ever needed it

I find it great for composing landscapes with the sun in frame (so I don't have to burn my eyeballs looking through the viewfinder), all macro work - the viewfinder is usually in a difficult-to-reach position, precise focusing on a tripod, and getting feedback in real time. The 5DmkII (and presumably 600D) also has a silent shooting mode in LiveView.

If you're tethered to a laptop, seeing the LiveView display on the laptop screen is fantastic. (When in this mode, you can press the LiveView button on the camera again to see it on the back of the camera too.)

Btw, the switching off is just the camera's normal sleep timer - disable or extend it in the menus.

Thanks Dave.

The flip out screen in the 600D is very useful,I imagine it would be good for macro in garden with L.V

Will be good when Canon bring out the 5DIII and 7DII these will have the flip
out screen.I'd hold off a purchase on a 7D and wait for that feature alone.It is that useful.

Cheers Chris