Old 02-04-2018, 07:10 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

ASI224MC Moon with high FL

My SCT has a high focal length even with the f/6.3 reducer when trying to capture the Moon with my ASI224MC. Perfect for close up shots of the Moon but would like to capture the entire disc.

I might try and use the camera in the spare guidescope I have which has a f/7.5 and will need to reduce it further to fit the entire Moon in the frame (to around f/4.0. Should I be using something like this with the ZWO?

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/bi...-5x-1-25-inch/
Old 14-04-2018, 07:41 AM
SuperG

You should just put a DSLR on it. You can still stack. My Canon 60D captures multiple images per second. I normally just capture a few hundred shots and stack them
Old 14-04-2018, 09:26 AM
glend (Glen)

Just be aware that most guidescopes are achromatic refractors and will produce CA. If used for imaging it is likely your colour rendition will be affected and fringing will be evident. There are some ED guidescopes appearing on the market, like the Skywatcher Evoguide 50mm, but so far they have not been converted successfully into imaging scopes due to lack of a useful focuser.
There are a few cost effective small (60mm) ED refractors, that use high quality FPL-53 objective glass, providing good colour correction: the WO Z61, the Astrotech ATED60, and the TS60 are three of these -all pretty much the same scope. They cost a little more than the budget guidescopes but can serve several purposes, as a guide scope, visual wide field, and imaging capable wide field corrected refractors; importantly they have focusers with good control and capacity.