Old 03-02-2017, 01:09 AM
luka
Unregistered User

ASCOM settings window for commercial cameras

Hi,

We are in process of building a camera based on Sony ICX453AQ sensor. The source code was recently released by the original authors from Ukraine and I have started adding options to the ASCOM driver.

Right now we have two settings windows which I don't believe is right:
1. When we select the camera in ASCOM camera chooser we can click on properties to get to the settings window which really does not allow much to be adjusted (attachment 1 & 2)
2. When the camera is connected to from the imaging software we automatically get a floating settings window that allows setting of gain/offset + other things (attachment 3). This stays open as long as the imaging software is connected to the camera. It allows changing settings during the imaging session.

I am guessing that point 2 is breaking the ASCOM guidelines. But having all options like in point 1 above would require to disconnect from the camera, go to ASCOM camera chooser and chose properties just to change any setting. Too complicated.

With commercial cameras using ASCOM driver, how do you get to your settings? What do you need to click to, for example, change gain/offset?
Also can someone post a screenshot of their settings window?

Sorry about the stupid question but I never used a commercial cameras before (only DSLRs) and now I am developing a driver for one... It will be much easier if I knew what to aim for

Thank you in advance
Luka
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ascom camera chooser.png)
14.3 KB20 views
Click for full-size image (ascom1.png)
11.7 KB20 views
Click for full-size image (ascom2.png)
14.7 KB20 views
Old 03-02-2017, 02:06 AM
glend (Glen)

Luka, based on my experience with the ASI1600 camera i can provide this:

The camera requires some sort of control app, Sharpcap is one provided free by ZWO, you could look atvtge controls within that app.
ASCOM setting box can normally be accessed through more compkex apos like SGP, which gives the ASCOM biox and the controls you seek.

ASCOM camera setting, the drop down bix is accessible
Old 04-02-2017, 10:47 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Thanks Glen, things are starting to make more sense now.
We do have a control app for the camera written by the original maker from Ukraine.