Old 17-07-2018, 12:47 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

USB3 10m extension cord

I’m seeking advice on the best way to get my laptop out of the cold and indoors using a couple of USB extension cables of about 10m in length: one that connects the ZWO camera to my USB-C port (or the USB3 hub I usually plug into that port) and the other that connects the rest of the gear (guide cam, focuser and mount) to the other USB-C port (or the USB3 hub/adapter I usually plug into it). Seems there is an expensive active USB3 cable option and also an adapter that uses RJ45 adapters at either end to use a CAT5/6 cable between, although I’m not sure what the data rate would be? Curious as to what others have done. Any help greatly appreciated as I’m not electronically savvy in any way.
Old 17-07-2018, 12:55 PM
glend (Glen)

WiFi is much cheaper, provide you already have a computer in the house. Just download Teamviewer for each machine, set up then up for local exclusive (This avoids going out and back on the Net). I have been running my Obs gear off Teamviewer for years. It is nice to sit inside where it's warm and be able to monitor and control the Obs system.
Old 17-07-2018, 01:05 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

My setup is portable in my unsecured backyard so was thinking about having less gear in the yard (i.e. no computer - currently a newish MacBook Pro) to avoid it being pinched :-) Was just thinking to run a cable directly indoors. So if I went WiFi what would I plug my gear into that would all allow a connection to SGP and PHD2 (via virtualbox on the Mac)? Lots of potential problem areas which an extension cable might mitigate but WiFi would be very cool...?
Old 17-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Imme (Jon)

I'm no expert but I got USB3 repeater cables off ebay after reading up on the subject. I ran cables from my open ob's into the warm room area.

A standard USB cable I believe will run up to 5m, further than that you need a repeater cable.

I am running a ZWO cam on one of these cables and a USB hub on another over a 10m cable distance (2x5m cables for each run)......works fine for me.
Old 17-07-2018, 01:20 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F272891888466

Something like this? Or a pair of these from NZ?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183250235156

Last edited by Benjamin; 17-07-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 17-07-2018, 01:57 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post

Hi Ben,

If you're going down the USB route, I can say we have over 20 of these in service at my work, with good results:
https://www.megabuy.com.au/alogic-20...e-p728197.html

We connect these cameras to them, with no dropouts or disappointment:
https://ptzoptics.com/12x-usb/

I would suggest against the idea of daisy chaining 2 of a shorter product. The signal timings appear to be engineered with the expectation of an end product at the cable terminus, not another repeater. We have tried this with similar products and failed.

Perhaps throw this through some 32mm conduit and bury it for longevity?
...Wish I had an Observatory

Regards, Andy.
Old 17-07-2018, 02:51 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I have a 12V powered USB3 hub on the scope. That receives USB3 from an ASI071 and an ASI290MM (both USB3), plus USB2 from my celestron mount.

This then goes through a single standard 3m USB3 cable then a 5m active USB 3.0 extension lead (jaycar/mwave) to my computer inside. That gives 8m extension and generally works really well. My only problem is the USB3 extension cable is really stiff so some movements can make it lose the physical connection to the computer (a pain with a cooled camera).

I couldn't find a USB3/internet converter to run it all via RJ45 (could only find USB2).
Old 17-07-2018, 03:23 PM
glend (Glen)

Be aware that ZWO recommends the use of a dedicated USB3 cable to a computer USB3 port for many of its USB3 cameras. USB3 extentions can be used provided they are Active powered cables and length is restricted to 5M. Any configuration involving a USB3 camera should be tested in advance. I would suggest asking Sam at ZWO, via the Support Forum or email for clarification for your camera.

Also the ASI290 mini uses a USB-C cable but it is actually a USB2 device, whereas the larger ASI290mm has a USB3 port.
Old 17-07-2018, 03:28 PM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
The second one look like the exact one I have

Something I didn't mention.....I reduced USB download speed in the ZWO control panel to 40 as it would often lock up at the preset 80......maybe this was the result of the longer cable?????
In reality it doesn't make a significant difference to download times in my opinion....image still download in seconds (max 10s)
Old 17-07-2018, 03:35 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
I’m seeking advice on the best way to get my laptop out of the cold and indoors using a couple of USB extension cables of about 10m in length: one that connects the ZWO camera to my USB-C port (or the USB3 hub I usually plug into that port) and the other that connects the rest of the gear (guide cam, focuser and mount) to the other USB-C port (or the USB3 hub/adapter I usually plug into it). Seems there is an expensive active USB3 cable option and also an adapter that uses RJ45 adapters at either end to use a CAT5/6 cable between, although I’m not sure what the data rate would be? Curious as to what others have done. Any help greatly appreciated as I’m not electronically savvy in any way.

This is what you need. I've been using a 2x8m USB2 version for years. No issues at all. Everything goes through. Guiding, image capture, mount.
Old 17-07-2018, 07:02 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

I use these with no trouble at all!

https://www.jaycar.com.au/powered-us...d-10m/p/XC4120
Old 17-07-2018, 08:52 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

Many thanks for the replies and sage advice. I’ve ordered a couple of active USB 3.0 cables and will see how I go. Dreaming of sitting in the warmth of a room, or tent, and watching a PHD graph and the images roll in :-) The ZWO ASI1600MM-Pro that I have has been happy connecting to my MacBook’s USB-C port (via a hub) with no dropouts (Windows 10 64 bit hosted on my Mac via Virtualbox). Connecting it to myolder 2011 MacBook Pro with its USB2 ports (also via Virtualbox although a 32bit version of Windows 10) did have occasional issues but I was also running two cameras through the one port