Old 08-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Baby Spiders

While most of us like to get in nice and close to NGC 2070, there are times when time doesn't permit a close encounter. On Wednesday night after dinner I had between the end of astronomical twilight and the rising of a waning gibbous moon, about 90 minutes of darkness to capture this interesting part of the sky.

Equipped with an older 50mm Canon EF lens and an even older Pentax 135mm lens I drove to the outer fringe of Melbourne with my trusted tripod and Nano Tracker to a spot not bothered by street lights.

Despite the darkness, the 50mm widefield shot produced plenty of Melbourne sky glow to the south but the 135mm lens cropped most of the glow out of the frame. I used my modded Canon 550d with UVIR cut filter on both lenses.

The 50mm shot was 9 x 30 second and the 135mm was 6 x 30 second, 800 iso. Both were stacked without darks or flats in DSS. Colour adjustment in PS. CA is evident in both lenses but not too bad.

Just had to have another go Saturday night with the same camera on the SW Esprit 100 on the HEQ5 pro, this time unfiltered from my front yard. The problem was I had just set up my alignment when cloud started moving in. Consequently, I only got 8 x 30 second subs before a blanket of clouds ruined the session. Oh well, such is life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (LMC50mm.jpg)
198.7 KB73 views
Click for full-size image (LMC135mm.jpg)
200.9 KB69 views
Click for full-size image (Tarantula.jpg)
193.6 KB44 views

Last edited by Mickoid; 10-12-2017 at 12:17 AM. Reason: New edition
Old 09-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

For ever the opportunist Mickoid. For your effort you've managed to produce an interesting image. I particularly like the close up at 135mm. You've got some detail showing up with the tarantula and LMC a standout. The LP is evident but hey what the heck it's a nice capture! Darks and flats would have been handy though. Have you got a LP filter that you could use on these lenses? I'd try using a mix of subs with the UVIR cut and an LP filter in your stack perhaps??Well done.

Anth
Old 09-12-2017, 04:53 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth10 View Post
For ever the opportunist Mickoid. For your effort you've managed to produce an interesting image. I particularly like the close up at 135mm. You've got some detail showing up with the tarantula and LMC a standout. The LP is evident but hey what the heck it's a nice capture! Darks and flats would have been handy though. Have you got a LP filter that you could use on these lenses? I'd try using a mix of subs with the UVIR cut and an LP filter in your stack perhaps??Well done.

Anth
Thanks for your comments Anthony. Both these lenses have a 49mm thread and my 2 inch LP is a 48mm thread so I'd have to stick it on some how. Good idea though, the combination of the UVIR cut and a LP filter would have given a much better result but I wasn't trying to be too serious about it this night. I just love getting out under clear skies and see what I can get with just basic gear sometimes.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:52 PM
Imme (Jon)

Love it mickoid......you just keep producing don’t you!
Old 10-12-2017, 11:00 AM
DarkKnight (Kev)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RISE-UK-....c100005.m1851
Old 10-12-2017, 07:12 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
Thanks for the link Kev. Good idea which will save the sticky tape! Bit expensive but at least the postage is free.