Auckland*
9:15 am
New York
3:15 pm
Paris
9:15 pm
GMT
8:15 pm

Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 31-05-2016, 07:48 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Great site in Sydney!

I never thought I'd say this, but finally I've found a site in Sydney that does throw a good sky!!!

It is JJ Melbourne Hill Memorial Reserve right next to the Forest Hill Pony Club, at the end of Thompson Drive in Terry Hills, -33.690985, 151.224965

Click image for larger version

Name:	Terry Hills Obs site.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	200135

I went there this last Saturday. For the first time in many years I saw the Coal Sack from Sydney

It is surrounded by national parks, and even though the busy Mona Vale Road roars right past it, the lights from the road are TOTALLY invisible. It is on top of a ridge and the field is expansive with a great tree line to block out the neighbours. A couple of distant lights from the pony club, but nothing to complain about compared to what the site has to offer. And the Baha'i Temple in the East looks just like a gleaming white observatory dome,

As it is on top of a ridge, and the field is big, if there is a blow on, it can get really cold! Found that out the hard way, didn't I! Go prepared.

Access is easy, and the field is accessible from the car park.

This site is also the obs site for the Northern Sydney Astro Society.

Alex.
Old 28-03-2017, 12:52 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Anyone know a good place near gold coast?
Old 01-04-2017, 12:00 PM
JA

Yarra Valley, VICTORIA.

Last night we were at the Little Yarra Steiner School in The Yarra Valley Victoria, about 1h 20min from Inner SE Suburbs Melbourne and witnessed a wonderfully moving performance of The St. John Passion By J.S. Bach. If that wasn't enough (it was great and a credit to the school, all the students and the soloists), nature's miracle was waiting outside - a VERY clear and VERY dark sky. I thought this is defiently an area to come back to for imaging the heavens.

I checked the area on the Dark Site map and it was on the border of dark blue and black at 0.28 on their radiance scale. In fact a few hundred metres further down the road was the start of the black zone, and the reading was 0.02 !! See excerpt from Light Pollution Map and wide view relative to Melbourne.

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Yarra Valley Dark Site.jpg)
137.8 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (Yarra Valley Dark Site Wide.jpg)
170.3 KB38 views

Last edited by JA; 01-04-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:22 AM
snarkyboojum (Adrian)

Access to Crago or Terrey Hills?

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to get back into some (very) amateur observing, and have just moved to Arncliffe, right next to Sydney aiport.

So, I'm definitely looking for darker sites I've done some simple google'ing and come across Crago and Terrey Hills as a couple of good sites near Sydney. What's the deal with access to these? Can complete newcomers use these sites, or is some form of membership required (or preferred)?

I have a 250mm reflector I'd like to setup and learn how to use again properly.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Adrian.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:44 AM
The Mekon (John B)

Crago has an observatory run by Astronomical society of NSW. Terry Hills is an area in the Sydney Basin that has skies a bit less polluted than inner Sydney. Not much more.

Read my previous post re observing in the Mittagong area. Getting there is a much better prospect from your location than going north.

Q. Just what are you wanting to see?
Old 11-12-2017, 11:35 AM
snarkyboojum (Adrian)

Excellent. Driving south towards Mittagong works for me too. My brother lives down at Stanwell Park... anything down there is going to be darker than my backyard towards the airport...

If you have some suggestions for locations that are used down that way, I'd like to give a few a try.

I'm just going to start with the planets, nebulae and a few open and globular clusters. I expect the first few evenings will be finding my amateur astronomy feet again.

Adrian.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:10 PM
The Mekon (John B)

Let me know if you are heading down. Easier to show you the places rather than try to find them yourself. I am always looking for an observing buddy.
December new moon is pretty busy for me (and many others also), Feb/Mar may be better.

John
Old 11-12-2017, 04:29 PM
snarkyboojum (Adrian)

Great. Thanks for the offer!