Old 15-08-2018, 11:31 AM
cjpops (Craig)

Skywatcher Ultra-Wide kit for 8" dob

HI All,

Getting back into stargazing and noticed I’ve lost my eyepiece set whilst moving house a few years back.

Anyway, I’m looking for a good wide view eyepiece set ( I previously had Hyperion eyepieces )

Just like your feedback on this kit?
Skywatcher Ultra-Wide 82° Long Eye Relief Eyepieces (3 sets - 7 mm, 15mm, 23mm)

Will be using it on my SW 8" Dobonsian and hoping it would be the same or better than the Hyperion I had.

I’m not ready to purchase Televue lens just yet - they are way out of my budget at the moment but keen to hear your feedback on these.

I'm interested in planetary and DSO viewing.

Cheers
Old 15-08-2018, 12:34 PM
astro744

Not sure what price youre getting on the Skywatcher but the one I've seen you can get 2 x Tele Vue DeLites for the same price or go with a 24mm Panoptic and 13mm T6 Nagler for a little more. Then later get the 9mm Nagler when you can afford 'Tele Vue', (these three are a very nice combo). This way you are two thirds of the way there if Tele Vue is your ultimate goal

The Tele Vue eyepieces are very fine eyepieces in ANY telescope and you may one day own other telescopes and not have to worry about whether the eyepiece is suitable. The only thing that may change is what focal length you need but that is the same for any eyepiece. Also ask yourself if you need 20mm eye relief if wearing glasses or just that you prefer it as it will limit your choices to those eyepieces which offer long eye relief.

See http://televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=214
Old 15-08-2018, 03:10 PM
cjpops (Craig)

Thank you Astro744, these televie eyepieces are definitely what I’d like to have eventually. The three SW set are on sale for $520 at the moment which I thought is a great price for three.

Hoping these eyepieces are good and resellable when I’m ready for the TeleVue.
Old 15-08-2018, 07:22 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

I've finally got around to digging up info on these Panorama EPs from Skywatcher. I too have seen them for some time, and they are not particularly popular. Not too surprising though from what I've come to find.

These are actually the exact same eyepieces as the Celestron Luminos (many people confuse the Luminos line as the same as the Axiom LX line, but they are totally different designs). ONLY difference is the outside casing. As a result, both the Luminos line and the Panorama ARE NOT FOR NEWTONIANS. These are designed for scopes with a convex shaped focal plane, such as refractors, SCTs and Maks. Newt's produce a concave focal plane. Also, these eyepieces also are better suited to slower f/ratio refractors, not fast f/ratios as they will display field curvature and other off-axis aberrations.

The aberrations that people consistently describe when using these eyepieces is a lot of astigmatism with their Newts. Astigmatism is a tell-tale sign of an optical mismatch between scope and eyepiece. Astigmatism is an aberration that is controlled with appropriate design, and one reason why EPs that are great in Newts are expensive - it is more difficult and more expensive to design and manufacture EPs for Newtonians. If you are spending significant $$$ on eyepieces for a Newt, you would want to make sure that at least astigmatism is not what you are paying for.

Note also that seeing something like a little astigmatism is not fatal with Newts. It could actually be quite an acceptable eyepiece if it does show a little astigmatism as this aberration will be limited to the outer edge of the FOV, which is not an area where any serious observing is done. I mentioned earlier the Axiom LX line from Celestron. The 23mm Axiom LX is actually quite a nice eyepiece in an f/5 Newt, showing just the smallest amount of astigmatism at the very edge. Not perfect, but if you find one (these are not expensive second hand) it is actually a good option in a Newt if you don't want to spend the big bucks!

Also, due to the complex nature of contemporary EPs, what aberrations can be seen in a given line (such as the Panoramas here) can and do vary tremendously between individual focal lengths. Where one focal length can show a lot of astigmatism in a Newt, as an example, another focal length from that same line could actually be textbook perfect! It does happen. For this reason, don't dismiss outright an entire line of eyepieces based only on one individual focal length from that series! You could find an absolute gem in that line! I have with other lines

Back to the individual Panorama eyepieces. The 23mm and 15mm are not good performers in Newts for the money. If you are paying significant $$, you will want an eyepiece that is better suited to Newts. These are not they. The 7mm, this has been a tough one to find any reliable info on. I've looked at reviews of both the Panorama and the Luminos, and the common failing with these reviews is no one is mentioning the scope they are using it. I've found only one scope reference for this eyepiece, and it was in a slow SCT, where it was very favourable just like its two other stable mates. However, nothing about it in Newts. So with so little good information available, it is not possible to say yay or ney for the 7mm in Newts.

For the money you are looking at spending, you would be better off with the Vixen LVW line. These are now available only second hand, so the $$$ won't be as high as when new. And in Newts, these are fabulous for the price. I know, I still have mine. These have only a 65° AFOV, a little smaller than your Hyperions, but the LVW line tears strips off the Hyperions in Newtonians - chalk and cheese! Hyperions are best with refractors, SCTs and Newts. Again, I know from personal experience with the Hyperions - really nice EPs, just not in Newts. Except for the 5mm, which is actually stonking good in Newts (read paragraph No. 4 above for why).

In the 82° range of EPs, alas you need to start shelling out the big buck if you want astigmatism totally out of the picture. The Explore Scientific 82° line is Newt specific in design and so is also very blooming good.

Alex.
Old 15-08-2018, 08:01 PM
cjpops (Craig)

Thanks Alex, i've decided to steer clear of the SW panoramic eyepiece kit..

Going for the Baader 17mm and 8mm for now and then grow my set from here on. There are good reviews on the Baader Hyperion eyepieces which convinced me to change my mind with the SW eyepiece.

The ability to add a 'ring' and change the focal length plus the ability to add a SLR mount directly to the eyepiece with a an adapter was something i'm keen on doing in future.

Also received great service from Astronomy Alive which also made my decision easier.

Thanks everyone for your advice, much appreciated.

Last edited by cjpops; 15-08-2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: adding extra info
Old 16-08-2018, 05:43 AM
astro744

You mentioned you were wanting something better that the Hyperion you had so getting two more puzzles me. I've not used the Hyperion or Skywatcher (except for cheap Plossl) in a Newtonian so really cannot comment on them. Perhaps others that have used such a combo can chime in.

I have used Tele Vue in a variety of telescopes and will highly recommend them especially since you mentioned them as a long term goal but mostly that they are very good in any telescope. I would take one Tele Vue over two or three others and then you are at least one third of the way to your goal.

As a first I would either get the 24mm Panoptic or 13mm T6 Nagler but both eventually with the 9mm later. You can get a TeleVue 2x Barlow to complement the 13mm and 9mm or get shorter focal length if you prefer for planets and high power on globular, planetary nebulae and doubles.

Even with Tele Vue there are so many choices and I am old school and have not used any of the newer Delos or Delight but they are highly regarded by many. Note you could also invest in a full set of Tele Vue Plossl (or at least up to 32mm) and a Tele Vue 2x Barlow for the money and they will also serve you well and are a far better option that the 'Plossl' types that come packaged with most telescopes. Of course the Plossl are only 50 degree apparent field end even if you get them you may want one day to own something wider. If you want a wow factor now and within budget get the 13mm T6 Nagler and enjoy! (Maybe add a quality Tele Vue 2x Barlow if you like planets).

For the purist less glass is better for planets but this is very often over emphasised and the effects of seeing and collimation have far more impact than the amount of glass in the optical train especially if the glass is of high quality.
Old 16-08-2018, 07:58 AM
cjpops (Craig)

Hi Astro744, I know!!! The Hyperion eyepieces were also on sale and within my budget - I never had a bad experience with those when I had them back in 2011. They are also far better built than the SW range.

Will grab a Televue T6 13mm Nagler along with a Televue 2x Barlow as you suggested at Bintel unless I find a 2nd hand one somewhere along with my Hyperion set and that should keep me busy until i'm ready for the better Tele Vue eyepieces.

Thanks again Astro744
Old 16-08-2018, 10:26 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Nice to think about visual sometimes, since last year i keep only focusing about imaging, so i didn't try to spend time or money on eyepieces, bought only few very cheap one to be used next to the ones came with scopes themselves, but i know i have to get premium ones and i will never look back.

I know Tele Vue is one respected brand for eyepieces, with their high prices too, but that isn't something new, quality is coming with a price.

I do have different scopes, and i will buy more sooner or later, that is why i didn't buy any TV EP yet, and i still don't know which one to buy, and for what, mainly i search for planets, but i don't know which scope then i will use if i choose one EP, and i already have Barlow and Powermate so they can be used sometimes although some told me they always prefer the eyepieces without extenders.

Hope you get what you want, and hope that we both can buy TV EP one day later to enjoy the quality.