Old 08-01-2021, 04:54 PM
appiice (Ed)

Unhappy Carina Nebula

Hi Guys

Recently bought a new EQ8 R Pro and after weeks of rain / cloud had a chance to PA it. The attached image is 29, 5 second subs, stacked in APP and slightly colour modified in Affinity Photo.

I think the 5 second subs were a bit short - still trying to find what works, the scope is an Edge 1100 HD with a Hyperstar attached bringing to down to 560mm FL and F1.9, sure beats the 300 second subs with a Celestron reducer.

The camera is an ASI2600MC,

I know a trend is to reduce the number of stars but to me it just reinforces the size and majesty of space.

Swapped out the image, this is better but a lot is lost in translation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (APP_Carina_Tues_5th_Jan_2021-SMALL.jpg)
38.4 KB68 views

Last edited by appiice; 08-01-2021 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Changed photo
Old 08-01-2021, 05:25 PM
Craig_

I think something has messed up with your JPG, the colours don't look right at all, at least on my screen. It's mostly grey, with heavy posterisation.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:29 PM
appiice (Ed)

You're right

Hi Craig

Yes it was horrible - I should have checked it!

I have swapped it out, the new image is better but it isn't as good as the 70Meg tiff file.

Ed
Old 08-01-2021, 07:04 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Ah! Thats much better, but yes, quite small... I'm keen to check out a higher res version for sure! It looks promising at that size
Old 11-01-2021, 04:20 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiice View Post
Hi Guys

Recently bought a new EQ8 R Pro and after weeks of rain / cloud had a chance to PA it. The attached image is 29, 5 second subs, stacked in APP and slightly colour modified in Affinity Photo.

I think the 5 second subs were a bit short - still trying to find what works, the scope is an Edge 1100 HD with a Hyperstar attached bringing to down to 560mm FL and F1.9, sure beats the 300 second subs with a Celestron reducer.

The camera is an ASI2600MC,

I know a trend is to reduce the number of stars but to me it just reinforces the size and majesty of space.

Swapped out the image, this is better but a lot is lost in translation.
Reducing the stars is just an artistic expression, I guess. We're either artists or documenters or scientists. Choose your poison and shoot accordingly

Nice image. How are you finding the camera? I'm tossing up between it and the QHY version.

5 second subs definitely seems short with this target. I've shot it at 3-4mins on the same mount, so definitely get back out and extend those exposure times Your mount can handle it.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:21 PM
appiice (Ed)

Asi 2600

Hello Adam

I had another chance to image Carina on Sunday night, I haven't yet had a chance to stack the images or tweak them either but plan to today or tomorrow.

I'm using NINA and tried several exposure times, I settled on 45 seconds that seemed to give much more colour, i'll be interested to see the image and will post when it's ready.

I really like the 2600, I had a 294 before it, the 2600 is on another plane, the image just looks better, that may be me justifying the spend but it looks a lot better than the 294.

Just not seeing any amp glow makes the purchase worthwhile.

One of the reasons I do like to see all the stars on the image is I would rather not spend to much time processing the image, I know some folks like to do that - I'm just not one of them.

Ed
Old 17-01-2021, 12:13 PM
AdamJL

Hi Ed

I'm with you, personally. I like to see the stars. To each his/her own at the end of the day!

Looking forward to seeing more from you and your camera

Adam