Old 27-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Phil
Phil H

I got my 30D and 70-200IS 17-40mm and 10-20mm and from Hong Kong had no trouble at all. Saved a mint to.
Phil
Old 27-06-2008, 09:33 PM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billche View Post

In response to some of you that goods form a small stall in Hong Kong are "water goods", I do not agree too. The so called small shop/stall also sell "retailer goods" and this applied to the BIG shop too. My experience is "water goods" is cheapest, then the "retailer goods" to the most expensive "Aussie goods". After all, these goods are from the same factory, either Japan, Thailand, Malaysia or China. When I was living in HK, I normally go for the "Water goods" as they are cheaper, and with the low fault rate, I don't really care about the warranty, at the end they just a toy. I came from HK too. ;-)
Hi BillChe,

Not sure if you are aware of this, there are Laws in Australia which protects consumers as opposed to in HK, the government don't give a rats ass. You can buy anything from a respectable retail store here and return it within 7 days no questions asked. If I bought a 40d here and i don't like it or change my mind, i get my money back and "NO QUESTIONS ASKED". If any retailers in Australia refuse to give your full money back, we have a Consumer Protection Watchdog which protects us from retailers we can take shop owners to small claims tribunal (like a court). Our legal system is one of the best in the world and it is definitely FAIR.

As what we Aussies say, "fair go"
Old 28-06-2008, 11:34 AM
billche

Right, we can have the choice of full refund but it comes with a price (a higher buying price as these "fair go" cost money.) for my case, I NEVER use that service as I always do my homework and never buy something by impluse.
mm.mmm... I knew why you have to money back the 40D, it may be a 13th hands as there may be 13 people return it after they have fun with it for 7days.
Kidding mate, take it easy. We all have the choice and freedom to buy anything from anywhere, as long as we are happy with that. My shopping list is on the way when I go to HK next month.
Old 28-06-2008, 12:13 PM
mdgodf (Mark)

Support and service goes both ways

Quote:
"how many items that failed with the warranty period?" .

Piece of mind and the availability of local support are more important measures then raw failure numbers…I’ve had warranty claims and more importantly repairs outside warranty but free of charge because of the Australia Nikon supplier wanting to maintain a relationship – something that is sadly missing in this “cheap as possible never mind the service” world.
Quote:
At the end, I believed we just feel uncomfort when we see the word "from Chinxxxx" as it go beyond our comfort zone. I work in an international company and a lot of my colleagues go to HK or China and they just enjoy the shopping overthere and they will also give whoever going there a shopping list to see if that someone can help.

“from Chinxxxx” Not at all, many things are well made from china. I like local support and service, the protection of our business infrastructure (as Eric set out) and prefer to support Australian businesses notwithstanding the country of origin of the goods – what comes around goes around. The only time I don't is when the item I want is not available locally.

Last edited by mdgodf; 28-06-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 28-06-2008, 01:32 PM
billche

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgodf View Post
Piece of mind and the availability of local support are more important measures then raw failure numbers…I’ve had warranty claims and more importantly repairs outside warranty but free of charge because of the Australia Nikon supplier wanting to maintain a relationship – something that is sadly missing in this “cheap as possible never mind the service” world.

“from Chinxxxx” Not at all, many things are well made from china. I like local support and service, the protection of our business infrastructure (as Eric set out) and prefer to support Australian businesses notwithstanding the country of origin of the goods – what comes around goes around. The only time I don't is when the item I want is not available locally.
Sorry, I think I was a bit selfish as:
1. I seldom/never use this kind of service or local support.
2. I want to keep more of my hard earn money.

You are however absolutely right, here in Australia with 20m population to maintain the whole country we need to pay more.
I didn't and never suggest anyone to buy things from outside Aussie, what I did want to point out is "most of our toys that purchase from outside Aust. are actually the same things (of course not come with the services :-))."

To all:
Happy shopping :-)
Old 28-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgodf View Post

I often buy what I want by mail order from overseas.

If Australian retail prices were similar to those from overseas , I would buy locally , but the point is , unless I think warantee support is worth the extra expense (and it can mean several hundreds , even thousands of dollars), if the product is top quality you should not need ever to use the warantee , then I do not need or have any incentive to spend the extra $.

I never buy on an impulse, I specifically leave my wollet at home or under the seat in the car when I visit the shops (HND, Camerahouse, Tandy, DSE, fishing tackle shops) unless I plan on buying something specific.
I never carry my Mastercards on me - they are for emergencies ONLY.

I do my home work and am prepared to haggle , I should get a discount for cash too when I buy but try to ask for a discount for cash, and I never ever buy camera or astronomy gear on the never never, I save for what I want - so since my money comes hard , I expect plenty of bang for the $ , therefore , I will buy overseas by mailorder.

Recently I bought an Atlux , and got a great deal despite buying locally (Had to buy locally because of Vixen's dealer rules - foreign dealers can not ship overseas !!! which is BS if you ask me , TeleVue , Meade and Celestron have similar restrictions).
Similarly with my 40D Enthusiast Kit.
Both bought locally BTW , but I haggled and managed to save several thousand dollars.

Did the same when I bought my brand spanking new Pajero in 1992 (still driving it - best car I ever had !!! done 296k and still going strong.

My tip is get several quotes by fax or email, and when you visit a dealer , show the best quote to them and ask if they can beat it , let them know right away when you show them the quote that if they can't beat it you will be out the door and wont be coming back, or if they beat it you are ready to buy , using cash or visa debit or efpos , right there and then , and always ask for the guy in charge (don't deal with the know nothing salesman who might be keen on preserving a commission), the GIC has the power to change prices.

Last edited by Ian Robinson; 28-06-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 28-06-2008, 03:06 PM
mdgodf (Mark)

Quote:
"most of our toys that purchase from outside Aust. are actually the same things (of course not come with the services :-))."

To all:
Happy shopping :-)
so much is obvious