Old 03-03-2016, 08:46 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Optec's FocusLock

In case anybody is interested, this is a demo video I put together for a talk I gave last week to the imaging group of the New South Wales Astronomical Society on Optec's FocusLock which I used entirely for my image of NGC 1532. It's a bit long mostly because I was taking long guide exposures. If short guide exposures are used it is considerably faster. In reality it is of no consequence as camera focus changes are quite slow. It only matters for the purpose of demonstrating. The exciting thing is that this focus system is coming to the Lodestar guide camera + OAG, so no ONAG required. This will be released in April at NEAF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtgBTVEImZg

Peter

I took this image (ca 26 hours) entirely with FocusLock:

http://www.astrobin.com/full/240667/0/

The background music is performed by my partner, Bernadette Harvey, playing Ross Edwards "Mantras And Night Flowers."

Last edited by PRejto; 04-03-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:12 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Hi Peter. That link is dead.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:56 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieberra View Post
Hi Peter. That link is dead.
Thanks Logan. Fixed now.

Peter
Old 05-03-2016, 08:19 AM
cfranks (Charles)

Thanks very much, Peter. That was very informative and I imagine both Optec and I.F. would be interested in using your video. It would also be a good promotion for Bernadette's beautiful music.

Charles
Old 06-03-2016, 10:47 AM
gaston (Gaston)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
this focus system is coming to the Lodestar guide camera + OAG.
Let me provide some further information on this and related matter:

OPTEC and Innovations Foresight are working together for providing a retrofit-kit for Lodestar owners which will allow the SharpLock (SL) real time auto-focus technology (implemented in FocusLock software) to be used with some OAG models.

We expect to launch this new patent pending accessory during NEAIC/NEAF 2016. Its is an interesting option for setups having limited back focus, such as Newtonians, for which the ONAG solution may be challenging to mechanically fit in.

Also new development are coming for providing full frame auto-guiding and real time auto-focus (SL) capabilities while using an ONAG and a large guiding chip, since all ONAG devices now features a guider port supporting sensor diagonals up to 28mm (APS-C size).

In this approach auto-guiding will not required the selection of any guide star anymore, details to follow... This may be specially useful for robotic/remote operations.