Old 27-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

Thumbs down Do I need a UV/IR filter for a toucam?

Hi everyone...
Well my observatory is just about complete and my shoestring usb stuff shall arrive any day now......... Have had my Toucam for a month or so now (as new from ebay) in the box ready to do my autoguiding with the 70mm scope..
I probably won`t use it much for planetary imaging or lunar imaging but I would still love to have a go at it though my scope is small..

Question is do I need a UV/IR filter to do this? Like remove the filter from the little c mount lense that came with the camera and stick it in the adaptor?
If so any tips to fitting it?

Cheers Gary
Old 27-10-2007, 09:44 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Gary, for Autoguiding, and planet/lunar you won't need the IR filter. It may help but I've never noticed any difference with or without on the Moon.

Essential if you are imaging with it and there are stars in the FOV though. The IR filter stops blown-out stars.

But for guiding, no you won't need it.

There is a thread in here somewhere about placing the tiny IR filter from the lens into an adaptor.

I'll try find it.
Old 27-10-2007, 09:58 AM
RB (Andrew)

Gary for Autoguiding I'd don't think you'll need it but you must use something so that you don't get dust collecting on the chip.
You may be better off using a filter anyway.

Using a UV/IR will assist if you do get into planetary/lunar imaging.
Old 27-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
Gary, for Autoguiding, and planet/lunar you won't need the IR filter. It may help but I've never noticed any difference with or without on the Moon.

Essential if you are imaging with it and there are stars in the FOV though. The IR filter stops blown-out stars.

But for guiding, no you won't need it.

There is a thread in here somewhere about placing the tiny IR filter from the lens into an adaptor.

I'll try find it.
Thanks Ken.., I wasn`t worried about star bloat for the autoguiding, might work better actually?. Just thinking I would end up with washed out images of the moon/planets without the filter.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Boy View Post
Gary for Autoguiding I'd don't think you'll need it but you must use something so that you don't get dust collecting on the chip.
You may be better off using a filter anyway.

Using a UV/IR will assist if you do get into planetary/lunar imaging.
you might be right there!! I have already noticed a big dust dougnut already right in the middle and I have only had the lens of twice for a few minutes..
Old 27-10-2007, 11:58 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

There was definately a thread on using the IR filter built into the ToUcam lens. Simply remove the filter slot it into the threaded end of the 1.25" adapter and hold it inplace with a bit of cut off spring. Done. If you can find a bit of spring soft enough to be able to be bent to go in there that is I'll try to find the thread.
Old 27-10-2007, 12:00 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

How quick was that!

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=15302
Old 27-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders] View Post
Thanks Paul thats exactly what I need!
Shall look down the shed tomorrow and see if theres anything suitable to hold the filter in like a old spring or spring clips etc..
cheers Gary
Old 29-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

Modd complete..
Now there is a uv/ir filter in the adaptor..
That little filter in the standard lense didn`t pop out as easy as I thought but I did manage it with just a little edge chip which isn`t near the sensor..thank goodness..
Made two spring clips from a old tap spring that I re-winded onto a drill bit and pressed in with a nice fitting drill bit...
Thanks guys..
Old 29-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

For autoguiding it is best NOT to use an IR/UV filter. You get more light onto the sensor and so can guide on fainter stars. Critical star focus is not an issue for autoguiding software.
Geoff