Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 PM
你B
Its only a column of dust

Attempted Jupiter obs ends in climate rage

well, a clear night, promise of good seeing and a strong high pressure cell parked over us - with nearly hurricane force winds to ruin it Now the weather chart shows calm conditions as per the high pressure, widely spaced isobars so where is this ridiculous wind coming form??

Scope: 4.5 inch Meade DS-114 Newt
Mags used: 121x, 151x
Eyepiece: 6, 7.5mm plossl
Seeing: 7-8/10, then rapid deterioration to 3-4.

Took the scope outside despite category 5 hurricane . Dropped in a 7.5mm plossl (121x) and aimed at Jupiter. Surprisingly, the view was tack-sharp. I checked my collimation by aiming at an out of focus star and for once it was right on the money Encouraged, I increased power to 151x (33x/inch of aperture - over the recommeded limit for Jupiter) and amongst all the jiggling and bad vibes I could clearly see two white ovals/white areas nestled under the NEB while low contrast streamers presented themselves under averted vision. I spotted atleast 5 belts and the rift in the SEB but the GRS was not in view this evening. I was overjoyed by this result, but sadly the wind made it fruitless to press on any further.

At this point, as Hurricane Annoyance raged on, the seeing suddenly nose-dived into the ground. Jupiter was now almost akin to a flag waving in a breeze. At this point I packed up. Happy but not.

Now I'll try for Mars, if I do actually get out of bed at 3am, I'll report back
Old 05-09-2007, 09:49 AM
你B

I did actually get up to observe Mars, instead of smacking the alarm and dozing off like i do 99.999% of the time. I was planning on doing a sketch aswell so I got out my red light torch, only to discover that the damn battery has gone flat. I searched for a new battery but ofcourse, why would there be a spare one lying around just when you need it? Having something on hand just when you need it would be a crime against nature and reality as we know it!

Left the scope to cool for about 45 minutes. Used 121x and to my dismay, the seeing conditions were nothing short of abominable. An astro-catastrophy. Infact these are understatements. The seeing conditions were so horrid that Mars was waving about like a flag. It was like as if there was a campfire under the eyepiece end of the scope. Ofcourse, Mars' position at the lowest possible point along the ecliptic didn't help. A flat 0/10 for seeing. I then checked out M42, it looked great despite moonlight. I then aimed the scope at Rigel and ofcourse it was a blinding mess. The star was jerking around like crazy and one could see comet-like tail to one side which seemed to vary in size as the tube currents and seeing played havoc.

needless to say, I was dissapointed and surprised.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:16 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

http://weather.unisys.com/gfs/6panel...panel_aus.html

in all reality, last night should have had great seeing as per above link.... but yes tassie was the same........lotsa star twinkle

oh well mother nature at her fickle best
Old 05-09-2007, 12:24 PM
你B

tonight looks promising on those charts. There's no wind atm and with the current weather pattern there shouldn't be, as opposed to yesterday's unexplainable shambles. The jet stream is well away from Victoria so tonight should be good.