Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2020, 02:05 PM
Imme (Jon)

NGC-2359 Thor's Helmet....My first combined NB image

So here it is, my first combined narrowband image.......I've previously posted a stacked Ha image here previously.

This is a bi-color O3 & Ha consisting of approx 7 hours of data in 20 min subs taken with the moon at around 20%-25%.
Processed in Startools Ha was mapped to red and O3 to blue, green was synthetic. All the normal tricks used to try and make it look as good as i could.

Overall I'm very happy with the result and look forward to what the future holds with narrowband. It was great being able to image with the moon out.

As always, my processing has let me down a little but like i said above, happy with the result as my first foray into NB.

Happy to hear any tips or criticism that will help me on the next image run.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (final thor.jpg)
213.9 KB169 views
Old 02-01-2020, 02:13 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

20 minute subs???? looks good for a first combo
Old 02-01-2020, 02:20 PM
Imme (Jon)

Yep, 20 minutes using Astrodon 3nm filters.
Gain was 200 using ZWO ASI1600 Pro mono.
Based on background adu I think I could have pushed the subs out longer (averaged around 850)
Old 10-01-2020, 08:34 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

Some great little details coming through I’ve never gone past 5 minutes with my ASI1600MM-Pro doing narrowband mostly due to the table found early in the following link to a cloudy nights post - https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...-maybe-qhy163/

I’m almost always shooting from a red zone backyard and at f4 so sub duration for me should be pretty short I think. The good thing is that shorter subs with this camera really work. Can make life easier if there are clouds or guiding isn’t great. Not sure it matters heaps but at 20 minutes you might find you are sky limited if not at a dark sky site?
Old 18-01-2020, 09:28 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Really nice.
Old 20-01-2020, 11:20 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

You should be happy Jon, with what is a fine result

Quite deep too, that extension going all the way up to the top of the picture looks very cool.

Mike
Old 21-01-2020, 09:09 AM
Imme (Jon)

Cheers Mike, for a first NB shot I can't complain. Few issues obviously and I discovered a settings issue after the pic was taken so onward and upward I guess (gain on FITS showing 139/gain on cam set to 200).

I suppose if it wasn't a challenge then we wouldn't do it hey!
Old 21-01-2020, 09:16 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
Some great little details coming through I’ve never gone past 5 minutes with my ASI1600MM-Pro doing narrowband mostly due to the table found early in the following link to a cloudy nights post - https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...-maybe-qhy163/

I’m almost always shooting from a red zone backyard and at f4 so sub duration for me should be pretty short I think. The good thing is that shorter subs with this camera really work. Can make life easier if there are clouds or guiding isn’t great. Not sure it matters heaps but at 20 minutes you might find you are sky limited if not at a dark sky site?
I use that table too Ben and although I'm not at a dark site, i do have pretty dark skies......light polution map shows me as Bortle 3 (rural) with an SQM of 21.88.

I try to work my exposure times out with the "expected value above bias" part of the table. I must admit though the 20 minute subs are taxing on the mount and so I am planning on running a high gain/short sub test on my next clear night.
Old 21-01-2020, 09:30 AM
Benjamin (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
I use that table too Ben and although I'm not at a dark site, i do have pretty dark skies......light polution map shows me as Bortle 3 (rural) with an SQM of 21.88.

I try to work my exposure times out with the "expected value above bias" part of the table. I must admit though the 20 minute subs are taxing on the mount and so I am planning on running a high gain/short sub test on my next clear night.
Cool I’m very keen to hear of different ways of using the camera in different conditions etc. Great you have Bortle 3 skies! Mind you I’d be happy for any sky at the moment :-)