Old 07-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Observing report 6th Jan.

Observing report 6th Jan 2010 local time 22.30 - 0.15 local time.
Location Main Ridge Vic.
Scope: 18" Obsession with Argo Navis. Eyepieces used set of Tele Vue Naglers and 14 and 8.8 mm UWA Meade's. Filters UHC and H beta also 0III.

In the early days of Iceinspace I reported my viewing experience with my friends 18" Obsession not sure where they are now. I normally don't write observing reports but thought as this site has many thousand new members now I would give it a go. I don't observe anywhere near as much as I use too. And since I have been observing since 1970 you can get tired of it ( shock horror but true) Julian and I have basically the same background when it comes to viewing the night sky. We can find our way around with out the Argo navis, meaning we can find objects with a star map and finder. But hey its a new era in armature astronomy and I don't mind using the tools of today and the AN is fantastic, and when time is short it makes viewing more objects much easier, anyway enough of that.

The scope is as I said an 18" Obsession when it comes to viewing the night sky size does matter (SDM!) for all you beginners don't let anyone tell you it does not. The bigger the scope the more light it gathers and the more you will see and the brighter the object. It's that simple. They don't build little scopes on top of mountains do they!!

So we got under way when it was dark enough to do so and In no particular order we observed many objects in the hour and half we had. Started with the great Orion nebula. we visited this object a few times with combination of filter and eyepiece. 6 stars are easy in this size scope. But the best view was with a 26 Nagler and UHC filter. the object was like 3d, looking at it with huge type wings spanning the whole eyepiece the brighter parts really standing out and the trap beaming away. I can't tell you how many times I have observed this object but it still thrills me to see it like this. One word Awesome.

With the 26 Nag and filter I scanned the LMC and it has so many thing to look at to catalogue them would take many nights. But time was short and I just wanted to hover over all the galaxy and just let my mind go thinking I'm in my Star ship approaching from afar and admiring its beauty. As great music fills your senses and mind also does viewing like this. 2070 is just beautiful like a full plume rose in spring, people say its more like a spider but I think its more like a rose!!
Also some of the open clusters and other nebula are fantastic. Take your time and fly over the LMC you wont be disappointed.

We observed a few planetary nebula with the 8.8 mm and 0III filter. One of my favourites is NGC 2438 next to M46. At high power and a filter its like a small smoke ring similar to M57. Use high power and the 0III if you have it and see this nebula in a whole different light. We went to an object I have not seen before which was great NGC 2022 small planetary in the northern parts of Orion. Never seen this one before! very nice object like a small disk of smoke. Will have to try to find it in a smaller scope to see how it looks.

Another object over looked by many due to is large size and very low surface brightness is the Rosette nebula. It has 4 NGC numbers associated with it and the star cluster NGC 2244 which you can see naked eye. But with the 26 nagler and UHC filter you can see the huge nebula surrounding this cluster and you can make out its shape once you know what your looking at.

Speaking of knowing what to look at we observed the Horse head easily. Using the 22 nagler and H beta filter it stands out very well. But again newbie's may look at this and say where is it !! But now I have learnt how to look at it and with the right tools it is very easy object.

Went onto Thor's Helmet very nice nebula like a hlf a bubble with two horns on the side. It was getting on and the Moon was close to rising and also Sab's burden in life cloud of the southern ocean was coming in.

So quickly onto 47Tuc no observing night is complete with out looking at this super Globular. It is a super object and most scopes but in the 18" holy molly stars are resolved to the core. It is so beautiful I loose myself in the object, love it. NGC 362 got a visit, never overlook this one it is very nice globular.

I ended the night with Galaxy 1365 very fine object with spiral arms easily seen. many people take wonderful photos of this one but there is something about seeing it live in the eyepiece and wondering who maybe looking at me!! light to travel all that way is unbelievable.

That was about the night. Mars was on its way up and the Moon had breached the horizon we chatted and reminisced on the way things where in the world of telescopes time gone by. Joked and cried over equipment one has had and sold. But and the end counted how lucky we are to observe with such a nice scope.

Hope I did not rattle on to much and hope to see some of you under the stars some day.

Stay safe and well.

Dave. G.

Last edited by Dave47tuc; 09-01-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-01-2010, 09:30 AM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Great report, thanks for writing up. Certainly no substitute for aperture
Old 07-01-2010, 09:59 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Thanks Dave. Lots of objects there I have yet to track down and turn 12" of aperture toward them.

Hopefully I have another 30-40 years before I get tired of observing. Probably good I started later in life!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:34 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Nice one Dave, very evocative descriptions. The 18" and nice EPs and filters makes life a joy. Hear what you say about AN vs charts and muscle power, am tossing up at the moment about getting the AN, would be nice but I enjoy star hopping and it is a skil that is worth learning and perfecting.

Malcolm
Old 07-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Lovely report Dave, quite poetic. You've captured in words some of the magic of observing, which is quite a feat I reckon.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:27 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Well done Dave. Well put together report.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

Hey, Dave, it's been a while. (One of the many Daves who seemed to populate the place.) I remember your reports from the early days of IIS. They were always a nice prompt to get out there and have a go the next night. Didn't you used to have a souped up 12 inch dob?
Anyway, glad to read your descriptions again. Thanks for posting.
Where is Main Ridge, btw?
Old 08-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Thanks for the replies

I have had many scopes but the 12" souped up dob was a very nice. There will be another scope one day once my life settles down.
Main Ridge or anywhere in the very southern Mornington peninsula is very nice to observe from.The main Ridge location was a private property.

Like to slow down in my observing. Today's world is such a rush. Look at an object and see it in all its beauty. Don't look and then yep that's it what's next.
faint fuzzy s don't do anything for me any more they all look very similar. look at Eta Carina or LMC or 253 and what do you reallly see? the more you look and wonder the more fascinating it will become.

Enjoy.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:05 PM
pgc hunter

Great report mate! Definately some nice dark skies down that way. I remember viewing NGC 2070 and Thors Helmet in that scope, bloody impressive.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Too true ... too true

Hi Dave & All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave47tuc View Post
Julian and I have basically the same background when it comes to viewing the night sky. We can find our way around with out the Argo navis, meaning we can find objects with a star map and finder. But hey its a new era in armature astronomy and I don't mind using the tools of today and the AN is fantastic, and when time is short it makes viewing more objects much easier ...
Absolutely true. It just makes time spent under the stars much more productive. Only my opinion and I know not everyone sees it this way, I don't own a big-'scope to spend most of my time peering at maps in the dark and through a finder.

Quote:
The scope is as I said an 18" Obsession when it comes to viewing the night sky size does matter (SDM!) for all you beginners don't let anyone tell you it does not. The bigger the scope the more light it gathers and the more you will see and the brighter the object. It's that simple. They don't build little scopes on top of mountains do they!!
Absolutely truer! There is no substitute for quality aperture!

Quote:
With the 26 Nag and filter I scanned the LMC and it has so many thing to look at to catalogue them would take many nights. But time was short and I just wanted to hover over all the galaxy and just let my mind go thinking I'm in my Star ship approaching from afar and admiring its beauty. As great music fills your senses and mind also does viewing like this. 2070 is just beautiful like a full plume rose in spring, people say its more like a spider but I think its more like a rose!!
Also some of the open clusters and other nebula are fantastic. Take your time and fly over the LMC you wont be disappointed.!!
This is one of the very best tricks the ArgoNavis/Servocat combo can perform. I've had dozens of people do this flight with my 'scope from dark-skies and uniformly they all just say repeatedly wow ... Wow ... WOW etc etc. Centre on the Tarantula and plop in the 26mm T5 and a UHC filter and then hit the spiral search button and the scope moves in a spiral-pattern outward from the Tarantula in a circle up to 3 degrees wide. It is just amazing. The amount of detail is just wild and you do feel like you're crusin' in a star-ship looking out the porthole. The right music playing makes it all the better!

Quote:
We observed a few planetary nebula with the 8.8 mm and 0III filter. One of my favourites is NGC 2438 next to M46. At high power and a filter its like a small smoke ring similar to M57. Use high power and the 0III if you have it and see this nebula in a whole different light.
Love it!

Quote:
So quickly onto 47Tuc no observing night is complete with out looking at this super Globular. It is a super object and most scopes but in the 18" holy molly stars are resolved to the core. It is so beautiful I loose myself in the object, love it. NGC 362 got a visit, never overlook this one it is very nice globular.
Yep, yep yep!!

Quote:
I ended the night with Galaxy 1365 very fine object with spiral arms easily seen. many people take wonderful photos of this one but there is something about seeing it live in the eyepiece and wondering who maybe looking at me!! light to travel all that way is unbelievable.
A man after my own heart!

Quote:
Hope I did not rattle on to much and hope to see some of you under the stars some day.
I assume you mean "some night"!!

Not at all -- much enjoyed!

Best,

Les D
Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Night under the stars of course Les

But still nice to meet fellow astronomers in the daylight also

I have met so many people in the night but know so few of them
Old 09-01-2010, 09:28 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

The classic observer's line - "Don't know the face, but I remember the voice"

Last edited by erick; 09-01-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 PM
danielsun
Canon collector

Brilliant report there Dave, A very enjoyable read from a great nights observing. Your report brought me back to enjoying a good nights visual behind an eye peice where you spend some time on each target and really soak in the beauty and wonder.
I hope things are going O.K for you mate, and again wish you a happy new year.

Cheers Daniel.