Old 15-09-2010, 08:14 PM
orestis

Binocular sketch 15/9/10

Hi everyone,

I Didn't feel like taking out the telescope tonight so I took out the binos which are 10X25.I scanned the sky and looked at the moon for a bit.I could see some of jupiter's moons and uranus close by, I could also see venus's phase at only 10x magnification.

I found my favourite open clusters the Coathanger and decided to do a sketch of it(attached).The coathanger is a bright grouping of about 10 stars which make a coathanger like shape which looks cool.

I also saw the hubble space telescope flyby which was my first time seeing it live,which was quite awesome thinking of how much it has contibuted to our understanding of the universe.

I have posted two images the first one is with little processing and the second one with round stars and so on.i'd like to know which one you prefer and why?

Clearskies to all
Orestis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (coathanger.jpg)
60.0 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (coathanger2.jpg)
61.1 KB45 views
Old 15-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Another great sketch, Orestis. I think I like the less processed one - I like the naturalness of your hand drawn stars.
Old 15-09-2010, 09:44 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Nice sketches. Must be awkward to do holding binos too.

I think I prefer the first one 'as drawn in the field' giving a true representation of what you saw.
The second one does look nicer as a presentation but for more complex objects there would be a temptation to change/add things in the process.

The challenge is to get the accuracy and neatness when drawing in the dark.
Old 16-09-2010, 03:43 PM
orestis

Thanks guys,

I agree I think the first one is better even though the stars are not round as it gives more of a realistic feel.

I have to keep practising trying to get my stars as round as i can possibly get them.

With binocular sketching how do you figure out were any of the cardinal directions are ?

I'm guessing west would be to the left in this sketch as the coathanger was near the north horizon and west is to the left.Am i right or am i on a completly wrong track.

regards orestis
Old 17-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Rob_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestis View Post
Thanks guys,
With binocular sketching how do you figure out were any of the cardinal directions are ?

I'm guessing west would be to the left in this sketch as the coathanger was near the north horizon and west is to the left.Am i right or am i on a completly wrong track.

regards orestis
Nice sketches Orestis, well done! Yep, if you were looking north to the Coathanger, west would be left and north down.

Cheers -