Old 02-01-2007, 02:30 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

observation report 1.1.07

is it just me thats getting cabin fever? is it just me thats desperate to observe?

twas a quiet afternoon with a clearing sky showing blue stuff that i had not seen for quite some time... my fingers were crossed...

7pm rolls around and the sky is showin about 60% blue. with my hopes soaring well above the disapearing clouds i gather up my courage and start setting up my gear. with the aide of my newly purchased compass i even polar aligned better than usual. meanwhile the whispy clouds that remain whiz past like a dragonfly over a pond.

8:45pm. an ever darkening sky show promise of a reasonable observing session. My current state would allow seeing of 1/10 and i'd still be happy. I set out to check my alignment via a drift... its only out by a degree or 2 so i fix it.

9pm comes and finally i can do some observing... the phone rings... its my mate who lives in an appartment overlooking hyde park (sydney), all is well with him he tells me as i hear the rain pouring down like in a bad dream in the background . "oh yeah, its just started" he states "clouds everywhere and no end in sight!" . Still, I cant see any clou..... hang on! WHATS THAT ON THE HORIZON?

9:30PM. A quick goodbye and i am at my lappy firing it up. cartes pops up on the screen and i start searching for some good doubles. I look at the screen, I look up at orion, I look back down at the screen again.... I am gunna have to be quick.
dodging the edge of a thick cloud bank now I knock off a couple of easy ones and a hard one(*names withheld) including the trap. the seeing is actually pretty good, i'd probably rate it 7/10 or maybe even eight. The moon however is blotting out the dim stuff but mag 8-9 stars are still very easy .

10pm and a cloak of dark cloud now clothes our formally naked orion (naked except his belt, sword and shield that is). i scan the skies for anything worthy of a quick squiz and notice for now that our old friend the moon is hanging lazily low in the north just out of reach of the clouds. maybe a quick image is in order . So armed with my Lpi i hunt down this spherical rock to find that it is too low in the sky and my roof is blotting it out entirely.

15 minutes later there is no sky. A thick blanket now stretches from horizon to horizon. the dooner of hate now blots the stars of... enough of this florally talk

I start pulling stuff down and get it all inside... just as i get my last item undercover the heavens open their flood gates and it pours down! good timing huh!

*names withheld as they are to be in my next seeing double... should i ever get to observe again.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Rodstar (Rod)
The Glenfallus

You are a determined fella, aren't you Ving??!! I've had a few sessions of late with my ED80 where I have only been able to squeeze in an hour or so of viewing before the weather turned on me.

BTW, looking forward to your doubles installments for 2007. What is on your doubles observing plans for this year?
Old 02-01-2007, 09:15 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

determined alright. gee the weathers been crapola for ages!

the next installment will take us away from the southern only club
we will get constellations that actually have a story to them

starting with 10 or so in orion... gee its been hard getting time in tho!
Old 02-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Rodstar (Rod)
The Glenfallus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ving View Post
the next installment will take us away from the southern only club
we will get constellations that actually have a story to them

starting with 10 or so in orion... gee its been hard getting time in tho!
Sounds great, Vingster!
Old 02-01-2007, 09:55 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

hopefully it will be just as fun to do with my new xray telescope that sees thru clouds
Old 02-01-2007, 10:06 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

These are desperate times and if you can catch a sucker hole large enough to see something through, you must be aligned and ready to grab it.
Better luck next time soldier.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:01 AM
astronut (John)
2'sCompany3's a StarParty

Cabin Fever? Cabin Fever? I don't have cabin fever!!