Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System

Old 15-07-2020, 01:45 PM
Quopaz (Nick)

Jupiter- opposition night!

Opposition night last night, and I had been waiting and practicing for this for 6 months. I started by trying to get Io's shadow, due to leave Jupiter's disc by about 7:20. I was ready in time but unfortunately the planet was too low, the view was bad, shimmering like a mirage with blue and yellow on each side. I gave it 20 minutes, and it had improved but was still far from good. However I did get Io in transit and later Io off to the side, but details on Jupiter were soft. The viewing then deteriorated, I figured it was the dew/fog coming down like the night before, so I packed up and got some sleep hoping it would be better later on.
I got up at 2:30 and had a look at the sky, to my surprise it looked good. There was low lying fog but I was mostly above it. I set up and got what I thought was some pretty good footage of the red spot, starting from just before it was in the middle, until it was well past the middle. Seeing was pretty good and I couldn't believe my luck.
I then got a couple vids of Saturn and one of Mars, both looked good. Went back to Jupiter- and just like that the good seeing was gone. I could no longer use ISO 400, it was dark so I thought it must be clouds or fog. Packed up. Very lucky to get good seeing on opposition night when the red spot was in the middle.
Had a first attempt at processing, this is the first one and more work could yield better results. Some vids might be better than others. Overall pretty happy with how the night went, could have been a lot worse, and it was a pleasure to view the red spot on opposition night:
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (006_pipp_g4_ap67_conv.jpg)
6.6 KB71 views
Old 15-07-2020, 02:30 PM
glend (Glen)

Nice work Nick.
Old 15-07-2020, 03:25 PM
Quopaz (Nick)

Thanks Glen. Here's one of Io right on the edge from early in the night, conditions were good at the time, but it was just too low in the sky.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (020_pipp_g4_ap52_conv.jpg)
5.4 KB27 views
Old 16-07-2020, 08:30 AM
foc (Ross)

Excellent image of Jupiter. That bit of good seeing is really showing what your rig is capable of!
Old 17-07-2020, 02:11 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

nice work Nick, some good detail there.
Old 17-07-2020, 09:42 PM
Quopaz (Nick)

Thanks Ross and Russell, the seeing here has been incredible lately. Tonight is the 4th night in a row of near perfect conditions. Right around Jupiter and Saturn oppositions too. I'm just continuing to film while it's good and will worry about processing later.