Old 20-05-2008, 11:41 AM
KGav8r

TVGuider

Hi all,

New guy to the forums here. I have been looking at the TVGuider and have tried to contact Martin Myslivec regarding the purchase of one. My e-mails keep bouncing back to me. Can anyone direct me on how i might purchase one?

Thanks,

-KDG
Old 20-05-2008, 08:35 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Hi KDG,

If you can't contact Martin I can share an idea how to build something like TVGuider for less money.

Basically all you will need is something like a QGuder/QHY5/Orion Starshoot guiding camera and an UMPC. Then you connect your guiding camera to an USB port of your UMPC, start PHD Guiding on your UMPC and here it's.. you now have a small and handheld unit that can be used for autoguiding, capturing or you can even run planetary software on it.

Of course it would't cost you less than TVGuider if you bought the latest models of UMPCs as they can cost $1000-$2000. However it shouldn't be a problem to find a cheap second hand UMPC for around $500. I bought mine SONY VAIO VGN-U750 for less than US$600 with extended battery and saw even cheaper for sale on ebay after it. It's fast(Intel Pentium M) it has 512MB of RAM and 20GB HDD. Also it has 4" touch screen which is much comfortable to use when it's dark.

At first I was thinking of buying TVQuider too. However considering its price when it's supplied with a sensitive camera I decided to go with the idea I described above. And it actually works.

cheers,

Michael
Old 20-05-2008, 09:13 PM
h0ughy (David)

Martin Myslivec [martin.myslivec@tiscali.cz]
Old 20-05-2008, 09:24 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I wouldn't trade my TV Guider for the world. Auto guiding doesn't come much easier.
Old 21-05-2008, 07:34 AM
KGav8r

I have to have one. Houghy, I have tried that e-mail, yet it always comes back to me as unkonown user error.

Michael, that is a wonderful idea! If I cannot get my hands on a TVGuider that will be the way I go. I had not even thought about a UMPC. Those devices have always seemed like a novelty item to me. It appears as though they may have a real use!

-Kerry D. Green
Old 21-05-2008, 09:05 AM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders] View Post
I wouldn't trade my TV Guider for the world. Auto guiding doesn't come much easier.
My TVGuider works like a dream. Ive tried all the other systems and this one works. Stupidly simple - give it a star and off it goes. An absolute no brainer, but still quite sophisticated if needs be. The BEST guider bar none.
Old 21-05-2008, 11:41 AM
h0ughy (David)

LOL i havent used mine yet - have to get instruction from Ponders and Allan at astrofest LOL
Old 21-05-2008, 11:47 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Tsk Tsk Tsk h0ughy. Send it up here, I'll put it to good use, I've got more than one mount as well
Old 21-05-2008, 12:15 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGav8r View Post

Michael, that is a wonderful idea! If I cannot get my hands on a TVGuider that will be the way I go. I had not even thought about a UMPC. Those devices have always seemed like a novelty item to me. It appears as though they may have a real use!
Hi Kerry,

yeah, give it a try if you cannot get a TVGuider.

There is only one problem with my idea.
Once you've got an UMPC you might like it so much so you can start feeling sorry for it when it's left outside for guiding. Or you can be afraid of dropping and breaking it apart because it's dark.

That is exactly what happened to me

cheers,

Michael
Old 22-05-2008, 08:08 AM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
LOL i havent used mine yet - have to get instruction from Ponders and Allan at astrofest LOL
David
Put the tvguider on your 5" "Meade" on your eq6 with the modded 20D and we have the same setup. Too Easy.
How many scopes, mounts, cameras are you bringing on your 4 tonne flat bed truck this year?
I really can't make a decision and I oscillate between one or other setup. I may just do imaging for half of the time and visual for the other and see how I go. Im thinking of 2 complete setups so maybe imaging and doing visual at the same time or would I be tempting the astroGODS to reek havoc upon me?
Allan
Old 23-05-2008, 08:32 AM
allan gould

Kerry
I have been contacted by Martin. You are on the list for the next production round. You just missed the last batch - he does 3-4 per annum. But it will be worth the wait as they really are great.
Allan
Old 28-05-2008, 09:43 PM
TrevorW

You guys over East have such a good network especially with such things as Astrofest who know maybe one day you'll have it in sunny WA