Old 05-02-2017, 08:17 PM
John K

Is a 3nm Ha Astrodon vs a 7nm Ha worth it?

Hi guys,

I am looking to become more efficient in the way that I do my LRGB mono deep sky imaging with my rig which is a 12.5" f/5 telescope and a Cooled Zwo 174mm camera. I live just 5.5 kms North of the Melbourne CBD in severely polluted skies, and was hoping to be able to gather a substitute of my Luminance data in Ha and then by RGB data from a dark sky.

So questions are:

1. Can I fully substitute Luminance data with Ha data?

2. Will a 7nm Ha filter cut it in severely light polluted skies? The 3nm Astrodon (1.25") is astronomical in price!

My rig is low cost, and I want to keep it that way, but at the same time I don't want to be buying stuff I cannot use.

Look forward to advice/experiences.

Clear skies,

John K.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Hi John,

IMO you can very successfully use Ha for Lum, but for emission nebulae only. It would not work very well with galaxies.

Money permitting I suggest getting a 5nm Ha Astrodon - you will love it when imaging emission nebulae and won't be thinking in the future: should have I gotten something else?

My second choice would be a 6nm Astronomik. In a heavily light polluted site, wider bandwidth will result in a lower SNR, so I would not recommend a wider bandwidth, if you want the best possible data.

Hope it helps a bit
Old 05-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

As Suavi says, the narrower the bandwidth the better contrast you'll get (better at rejecting everything other than the Ha signal). In some cases the 5nm will give a better signal than the 3nm as the 5nm contains both the Ha and NII signal; the 3nm is narrow enough to split the Ha and NII.

If you already own LRGB Astrodons I would suggest keeping with Astrodon in an attempt to remain par focal. Astrodon filters are 3mm thick which I think is thicker than most others.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:57 PM
John K

Thanks for the info guys.

Looks like the Astronomiks could be good value and I do use the Astronomiks LRGB filters.

Clear skies.

John K.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

No worries John, looking forward to seeing your new images with the 6nm Astronomik.
I forgot to mention, that for most of my images I used Ha only for Luminance, and these turned out alright IMO. Unfortunately, I need to collect sky data from about 2km from Brisbane's CBD.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:23 PM
John K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
No worries John, looking forward to seeing your new images with the 6nm Astronomik.
I forgot to mention, that for most of my images I used Ha only for Luminance, and these turned out alright IMO. Unfortunately, I need to collect sky data from about 2km from Brisbane's CBD.
Thanks! That's encouraging!
Old 09-02-2017, 09:51 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

I believe peter ward uses the 7nm very successfully from the middle of Sydney. of course narrower is better but they are really expensive.
7nm is fine for me but I am further from the city than you john!