Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 18-06-2016, 03:10 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I have been a part of a photographic society for the past 5 or so years, every month we have an interclub competition where we sent both Matted (printed) and electronic images off to an external judge. The following month that judge comes in and scores each picture and gives some comments. I have learnt so much just from listening to judges, you take everything with a grain of salt because every judge has their own things they like/dislike and their own opinion. Some are harsher than others, some are very diplomatic where as others are not.

Where the critique becomes interesting is when some of the better judges start discussing the minute differences that break the top 3-5 images from one another, especially when their choices are very close to one another.
Old 19-06-2016, 12:11 PM
StuTodd

Wow, thanks for all your excellent replies.

My OP wasn't as a result of yours Colin, I have seen several posters knock their own work in the first post before, indeed, not only on IIS.
I guess my original observation (which I admit could have been easier to understand...) was more of an ask, for both your psychological thought processes and how you feel when you submit DSO shots, and why someone would self crit. Why bother posting an inferior shot..

The "self demeaning" stuff is interesting almost as a softener for the hammer to come..
I don't think people are critical for critic sake and form what I have seen, IIS is probably the best forum bar none, full stop. It is true that some of the members here are world class and you couldn't buy advice like that.

Stu
Old 19-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

In that respect it is a fair question to ask and many people would do it for different reasons.
For myself personally, it is all about growth. A lot of the time this starts with a bit of a story of challenges in getting to the point it is now. For a lot of people this can be mechanical; guiding woes, poor seeing or tilt. Then there is the post processing side of things which is where we can create problems in trying to solve others. Or we just go overboard in an attempt to show every bit of texture and every fair tendril in the area

The suggestions and comments of other can turn a good image into a great image and then an excellent image. We rarely if ever get it right the first time
Old 19-06-2016, 01:53 PM
DJT (David)

Another way of looking at this is that posters whilst recognising the flaws in their own images, which in itself implies an understanding of what they are doing, actually are very proud of what they have created within the limits of either kit or capability.

Think about it. "This is what I have learnt and look at what I did".

Critique and feedback have always been excellent here.

Great thread.
Old 19-06-2016, 02:01 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuTodd View Post
Why bother posting an inferior shot..
Often, it's because we don't have the luxury of being able to wait for great seeing or the time to collect another 50 hours of data. Sometimes it's because we know we should be able to do better but aren't sure how. Then, of course, there are occasions where we post an image that we think is pretty damn schmick only to have obvious flaws pointed out
Old 20-06-2016, 08:53 PM
StuTodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
I generally try to critique an image using the Sh*t sandwich method. Ie: say something nice, then say what you really want to say, and finish on an encouraging positive note!
Love the analogy Andy A great approach and allows a suggestion or two without the "know it all" factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
I have some experience with basic imaging but do know what it takes to get an image, and I'm the kind of person that will say, "Great Result" just on the fact that someone has accomplished their image and have posted it here !
Personally, I would agree Bob, that is my attitude too, my general outlook on life. I used to be in a well known (in the UK) arty railway photography group and they were harsh, overly so. It put me off as much of the acid was down to personal taste. As Rick said, certain things can be controlled but personal taste...no.

I don't personally comment on astrophotography as I wouldn't consider myself "qualified" to, but always give credit where it is due, if I offer an opinion, and indeed, feel I can add something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Often, it's because we don't have the luxury of being able to wait for great seeing or the time to collect another 50 hours of data. Sometimes it's because we know we should be able to do better but aren't sure how. Then, of course, there are occasions where we post an image that we think is pretty damn schmick only to have obvious flaws pointed out
I often wonder how greats such as David Malin et al worried about a shot after taking hours of data on photographic film and then processing it in the dark room? Yes, they wouldn't have had issues with tracking or focus, but film possessed its own foibles and pitfalls.

How technology has come on, I sound like my dad!

Stu
Old 21-06-2016, 06:24 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
Another way of looking at this is that posters whilst recognising the flaws in their own images, which in itself implies an understanding of what they are doing, actually are very proud of what they have created within the limits of either kit or capability.

Think about it. "This is what I have learnt and look at what I did".

Critique and feedback have always been excellent here.

Great thread.
I think this is close to the way I feel about it when I post my images. I do try to show what I've done with the gear, conditions, situation, etc. Sometimes as others have mentioned, the feedback is good to correct oversights (especially in processing), so you may iterate versions, etc.
Old 21-06-2016, 11:59 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
For what it's worth, I generally try to critique an image using the Sh*t sandwich method. Ie: say something nice, then say what you really want to say, and finish on an encouraging positive note.
But with this post you blew your cover; we'll all know what you really think.
Old 21-06-2016, 01:32 PM
sjastro

The negative stuff invariably comes from the enemies you create.

I have had a few over the years and the odd comment my images are absolute crap.
Old 22-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

enemies? Seriously? This is the innernet with avatars and people typing on keyboards, if you have enemies online then there is something wrong with the world. The reason being so called enemies can be eliminated with one click on ignore person tab.
My motto in life is don't type something to someone if you don't intend to say it to their face. It's a small world, life is short and I don't have time to worry about petty things like enemies.