ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2019, 07:36 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Trifid in mono

Hi all

Sharing my attempt at M20 in Ha. I was unaware of the extent of hydrogen nebulosities around the Trifid Nebula, so it was a pleasant surprise to notice so many interesting structures, especially in the top right and bottom right corners.

Almost 12 hours of acquisition through my 105mm guidescope (sorry Greg ): https://www.astrobin.com/full/413139/0/?nc=user

And full resolution: https://cdn.astrobin.com/thumbs/TNMz...6_wmhqkGbg.jpg

Awaiting clear skies to complement Ha with other emission lines.

Any feedback, nice or harsh, will be highly appreciated

Thank you for looking
Suavi

EDIT: Improved processing: https://www.astrobin.com/full/413139/B/?nc=user
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (35_Ha_LUM_small.jpg)
162.5 KB59 views

Last edited by Slawomir; 07-07-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:41 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

from me

Very nicely resolved for a lowly guidescope
Old 03-07-2019, 07:43 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Yes quite extensive Ha, not usually highlighted in images of M20, look forward to what you do with this one Suavi generally I don't recon M20 looks very aesthetically appealing in full narrowband... maybe an NB-LRGB hibrid, that will likely be pretty cool.

Mike
Old 03-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Decimus (Richard)

Beautiful image, Suavi. What camera did you use? Just when I am considering buying a OSC CCD camera and you deliver this gorgeous monochrome image!

Cheers,
Richard
Old 03-07-2019, 10:44 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Lots of nice deep detail in the core of the nebula there Suavi.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:18 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
from me

Very nicely resolved for a lowly guidescope
Thank you Colin. I figured I better learn how to get the most of my 4” before, if ever, I invest in a larger guide scope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yes quite extensive Ha, not usually highlighted in images of M20, look forward to what you do with this one Suavi generally I don't recon M20 looks very aesthetically appealing in full narrowband... maybe an NB-LRGB hibrid, that will likely be pretty cool.

Mike
Thank you Mike and challenge accepted - going to try putting together aesthetically acceptable 100% pure narrowband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
Beautiful image, Suavi. What camera did you use? Just when I am considering buying a OSC CCD camera and you deliver this gorgeous monochrome image!

Cheers,
Richard
Glad you like it Richard. It’s QSI 690 wsg-8 with ICX-814 sensor. It’s a very nice sensor IMHO, when paired with an under 1m focal length. I’m sure you thought of pros and cons of mono vs OSC; I have tried both and personally prefer mono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Lots of nice deep detail in the core of the nebula there Suavi.
Thank you Rodney. It was a bit of a challenge to show faint bits and the core without making the nebula looking too flat.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:50 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post

Thank you Mike and challenge accepted - going to try putting together aesthetically acceptable 100% pure narrowband
Great start Suavi
Looks like we're going to have a narrowband Trifid-off as it's also my current project

Let the games begin!
Old 04-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Great start Suavi
Looks like we're going to have a narrowband Trifid-off as it's also my current project

Let the games begin!
I look forward to your interpretation of the Trifid Andy

Your impressive signature clearly indicates who is going to dominate in this Trifid-off, but I will do what I can, given the skies will clear up

Just to set the bar - attached is a comparison with the MPG/ESO 2.2-metre telescope at ESO’s La Silla Observatory in northern Chile. I have noticed a streamer/beam in my data (just below the cursor) and it was nice to confirm it was a real thing with the ESO image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2200 vs 15.jpg)
107.6 KB34 views

Last edited by Slawomir; 04-07-2019 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Trifid-off
Old 04-07-2019, 05:46 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Looking forward to seeing the end product Suavi. You've certainly gone very deep in Ha - great detail.

Kevin
Old 05-07-2019, 06:01 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosborn View Post
Looking forward to seeing the end product Suavi. You've certainly gone very deep in Ha - great detail.

Kevin
Thank you Kevin. Unfortunately we are having unusually wet dry season at the moment in Central QLD with possible flooding so will need to wait a bit for clear skies.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:49 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I can’t remember what that thing is called Suavi but I know Mike and Trish use it as an indicator of sharp data
Old 07-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thank you Colin - now I know what to look at when estimating sharpness of an image of Trifid

Still raining so played with the data a bit more to squeeze the last bit out of the Ha: https://www.astrobin.com/full/413139/B/?nc=Slawomir
Old 07-07-2019, 11:25 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

It is interesting to see the really stark difference between what shows up in HA and what shows up in the red channel of my OSC camera.

There is dust that stands out hugely in my red channel that almost does not show in your HA, but then the dust lanes in the middle of the nebula are a lot sharper in HA only than my red channel. Looking at the stars though I really think I need to try a UV-IR cut filter even with my SCT. If I lean toward replacing that scope later with an SCT more suited to imaging then it is not wasted money, but the scope itself is really not intended for this stuff, the coma and curvature are a little depressing compared to what other people are doing with more suitable gear.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:07 PM
gregbradley

Another wonderfully detailed CFF image. So sharp for such a small aperture.
Dare I say as sharp or perhaps even sharper than an FSQ?

Your tracking is a little off and that pulled down what could be an even sharper image. Perhaps a tad of PS sharpening that corrects for motion blur?

Greg.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
It is interesting to see the really stark difference between what shows up in HA and what shows up in the red channel of my OSC camera.

There is dust that stands out hugely in my red channel that almost does not show in your HA, but then the dust lanes in the middle of the nebula are a lot sharper in HA only than my red channel.
Your comment Paul about the red showing up much more prominently in your image triggered my curiosity, so I dared to put two images side by side to identify the area of your red channel not showing in my Ha - honestly I am not sure which red area is not showing in Ha. But your image shows so many more stars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Another wonderfully detailed CFF image. So sharp for such a small aperture.
Dare I say as sharp or perhaps even sharper than an FSQ?

Your tracking is a little off and that pulled down what could be an even sharper image. Perhaps a tad of PS sharpening that corrects for motion blur?

Greg.
Thank you Greg. I am suspecting my FTF having a bit of play, because this tilt disappears completely when taking subs with the scope pointing up vertically, while it is most noticeable when the scope is pointing closer to the horizon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Paul.jpg)
172.2 KB95 views
Old 07-07-2019, 12:28 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Just having lunch, I will extract the bits I meant shortly and put them side by side to show what I was referring to.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:53 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Another cracker. The CFF is working well indeed
Old 07-07-2019, 01:28 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Side by side, your HA on the left versus my red on the right. Ignoring the bloating that I am not sure if at this point is a result of 2200mm focal length challenging the guiding and seeing, or the same sort of issues that the IR cut resolved on my refractor. When I have some spare cash I will get the filter for the SCT and find out.

This is what I was meaning before, there is much nicer detail in your HA in the middle of the nebula, but conversely there is some obscured areas in my red channel (Which obviously covers the HA) that do not seem to appear in HA only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Red-versus-HA.jpg)
195.5 KB18 views
Old 07-07-2019, 01:43 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Fascinating Paul, thank you for clarification. Perhaps some red is coming from SII (deep red) and NII (almost identical in colour to Ha) and some other emission lines that your broadband Red filter lets through

The bottom left near the bright star - there seem to be more signal in Ha than in your Red though. This gives me hopes that NII and SII might contribute some different information to the composite.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:24 PM
beren

Very very nice well done