Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 02-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Poita (Peter)

Odd request - I'd like to buy or rent a CCD to preserve Star Wars.

Okay, this is an odd request, but as this is the place people own CCD cameras, I thought I'd ask it. If the mods want to remove this post I won't be at all upset.

(I posted this in the classified section, I'll go back there now and see if I can delete it)

I have built a 16mm telecine rig to transfer 16mm films to video, that utilises a CCD camera.

I have recently acquired an original 1978 16mm print of the entire Star Wars Ep IV movie in cinemascope (i.e. the one without the new special effects).
I would like to transfer it to hidef to preserve the film in case the print ever gets damaged or fades.
My current telecine rig uses a 720x576 Sony CCD camera to pickup the image from each frame of the film. It works similarly to a eyepiece mounted camera on a telescope, the camera is mounted at the front of the projector and the image projected directly onto the CCD chip.

Now for the request. If someone has a colour CCD camera that is higher resolution than 720x576, I'd like to purchase or rent it from them for the purposes of preserving Star Wars. I'd probably need the camera for about a month, and I'm happy to wait for whatever month that may be.

Alternatively, if anyone could recommend a good CCD camera to use, (I've been looking at the firewire imaging cameras) I'm also open to purchasing one, that I could later use for astrophotography.

Cheers

-Pete