Old 16-09-2009, 12:03 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Red face Gotta love widefields

Having had a look at all the wonderful shots of the milkyway I decided tonight to bite the bullet and piggy back the QHY8 with my Pentax wide angle lens (again). Never had much luck doing it in the past but I thought I'd give it another go. Anyway, because I have a fair bit of LP in my backyard I stuck a Ha filter inline and started shooting a 10min sub. Nothing. Ok , slew to Jupiter to refocus, then a 20 min sub. Nothing. Ok , I remove the Ha filter and start doing 10min subs centered on M8. Start seeing some stars and a bit of the whole milkyway in the subs. I put 2h on it in 10 min subs. Trying to process thinking, gee, this widefield business is a real hard yakka!. While I'm stacking I'm playing with the lens on my desk and look at the hole through the glass that is really really small, thinking , well, there's definitely not much light going in there , then slide in a little pin on the back of the lens and voila! the shutter opens. Never realised that the aperture was controlled by the DSLR when it's plugged into the pentax. So from now on widefield imaging should be much more rewarding for me.
Old 16-09-2009, 12:13 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

We're expecting great things from you now Marc.
Old 16-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Never realised that the aperture was controlled by the DSLR when it's plugged into the pentax. So from now on widefield imaging should be much more rewarding for me.
LOL! Geez Marc! There's nothing quite like shooting through a 50mm f/22 is there?

On a similar note, I bought the SBIG/Nikon adapter a while back, and want to try the Nikkor Ai lenses I have in widefield Ha too. My only problem now is trying to find a way to squarely attach my 2" Ha filter to 52mm lenses...

Last edited by Omaroo; 16-09-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old 16-09-2009, 07:02 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
We're expecting great things from you now Marc.
Thanks JJJ. Great, don't think so but certainly easier & better now . I think I must have been drooling over every single widefield shot you've ever taken and I'm like "how does she do it?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
LOL! Geez Marc! There's nothing quite like shooting through a 50mm f/22 is there?

On a similar note, I bought the SBIG/Nikon adapter a while back, and want to try the Nikkor Ai lenses I have in widefield Ha too. My only problem now is trying to find a way to squarely attach my 2" Ha filter to 52mm lenses...
Yeah... that was a "moment of revelations" . I stick the Ha filter behind the lens. I have a bayonet adapter for the lens (K mount I think it's called) that screws into the camera nose piece. There's a small cavity in there. I pack the filter with some foam so it doesn't move. Seems to work. Well, when I'll open the shutter that is... Will keep you guys posted.
Old 16-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Got it figured on the outside.

Here's my car in Hydrogen-alpha
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (LandRoverHa.jpg)
187.8 KB41 views
Old 16-09-2009, 07:54 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Ooh yeah! Red goes faster!
Old 16-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Nothing, including "red", makes the Land Rover go faster...
Old 16-09-2009, 09:32 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Off topic:

My dad bought one of the first V8 Landrovers in Aus back in 1979/80 I think it was. He was very disappointed at how slow it was. He took it in for its first service and I followed to pick him up. I passed him in my F100 like he was standing still.

When he got to the Landrover place they asked him if he wanted the antipol gear blocked off and disconnected (remember this was 79/80) and the restrictor removed from the carby. He didn't know what they were talking about, so they showed him.

Because of the suss drum brakes all round (yep drum brakes on a vehicle that heavy with a V8 motor ) LR put a 2" plug down the throat of the carby with 4 x 1/4" holes drilled in it so it couldn't draw fully, thereby keeping the speed down (Don't know how it worked but it did). Dad said "bloody oath" or words similar and commented on the heritage of British car manufacturers.

Well, on the way home, after the service, he passed me like I was standing still (I could see the grin on his face as he flashed past ) but it took him about half a km to pull up. He missed both the first and the second turnoffs (they were only about 150meters apart) and had to travel another km down the road before he could find a place wide enough to do a 19point turn to turn around and come back. But at least he had a much faster LR now.

BTW its clocked well over 1,000,000km now.
Old 16-09-2009, 09:48 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

Quote:

I think that pic is going to need some stretching to bring out the detail

Oh...and lay off on the red there. A wee bit too much
Old 16-09-2009, 10:15 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Quote:

That is one for the compendium? Inside back cover please. RovaCarIna in HA
Old 16-09-2009, 10:19 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

That hurts the eyes that one.
Old 16-09-2009, 10:22 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

LOL Chris
Old 24-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Hagar (Doug)

They go faster when they are on the back of a flat bed truck going to the repair shop........

Quote:
Nothing, including "red", makes the Land Rover go faster...
Old 24-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
They go faster when they are on the back of a flat bed truck going to the repair shop........
Oi ive got an unrestored 1949 model landy sitting in the garage that will fire up and run up and down the street. Cant say that about too many other car manufacturers.