Old 05-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Stephan

Thumbs up New stand-alone autoguider

I found that one here:

http://www.lvi-cameras.com/cameras.asp

Sounds pretty interesting for people using DSLR's for astro photography.

At present there seems to be no official importer to Australia though so I guess you have to order it directly from Italy.

Not sure what the exact price is but I have seen it advertised in Germany for 428 Euros including 19% GST that would mean ~360 Euros (~AU$730) ex. GST plus postage. Not bad for the whole package I think.

.... very tempting
Old 05-02-2009, 12:47 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Yep already been done here

New Stand alone autoguider.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Gama

Actually its about 430 Euros.. then add about $60 odd bucks, then GST.
They dont like to remove VAT, so your stuck with it. But if you push it, you may get it.

It equates to : 850 + 60 + 91 = $1001.00

Anyway, as i said in the old post, MyAstroshop in QLD has them now, and may be the Aus distributer soon. Give them a call.

Theo
Old 06-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Stephan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gama View Post
Actually its about 430 Euros.. then add about $60 odd bucks, then GST.

They dont like to remove VAT, so your stuck with it. But if you push it, you may get it.

It equates to : 850 + 60 + 91 = $1001.00

Anyway, as i said in the old post, MyAstroshop in QLD has them now, and may be the Aus distributer soon. Give them a call.

Theo
I know some (English speaking) dealers in Germany who definitely take off the the VAT (you have to ask for it though).

That makes it 360 Euros (428 incl. VAT) + ~38 Euros postage = ~398Euros (incl. postage) = ~AU$800 delivered

As their is no Australian GST for imports under AU$1000 for private buyer as far as I know.

So will be interesting to see what price MyAstroshop will put on it. Should be around AU$ 880 incl. GST but you never know they might surprise us.

Clear Skies

Stephan
Old 06-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Gama

Hi Stephan, i believe your pretty close on the money with that quote. Only if our buck stops here (Pardon the pun). As if the dollar keeps going down, yipes !....

Theo
Old 10-02-2009, 08:09 PM
gregbradley

A couple of things about that autoguider.

It requires a serial port on your computer should you want to use it on a computer. Modern laptops and computers often no longer have serial ports (dinosaur age ). Or if it does it probably only has one and you probably need one to control your mount.

Also the artificial star is merely a power supply for an artificial star and the guider does not do the artificial star guiding itself.

So in essence it is a standalone guider probably most useful for a DSLR imager who won't be using a computer and wants autoguiding ability. There it would be great.

Otherwise your QHY etc guiders at a fraction of the cost with free PHD software may be more bang for your buck.

Greg.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:14 AM
Gama

Other drawbacks from a guider and PC, is if the PC locks up, freezes up (Never happens using windows of course !!) you need to reboot. Also requires a bigger powersupply for the laptop, bootup and shutdown times, more to setup, yada yada..

Theo.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:51 AM
allan gould

Having played with the simulator for this autoguider, its simular but less control than Meades old 201XT autoguider. The main fault with the 201xt and this autoguider is you cant see the guide star and its very difficult to get good focus as you are working blind. Sorry - I see less advantages of with this than the TVGuider (http://foto.astronomy.cz/TVGuider.htm) previously mentioned in these forums. Several IIS people have them and the only downside is that you have to get on a waiting list as Martin Mylivesic only makes about 15 units every 3 months. But they are well worth it - its stand alone and worked faultlessly for me since Ive had it.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:31 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gama View Post
Other drawbacks from a guider and PC, is if the PC locks up, freezes up (Never happens using windows of course !!) you need to reboot. Also requires a bigger powersupply for the laptop, bootup and shutdown times, more to setup, yada yada..

Theo.
Yes something that just plugs in and you press a button and it works could be very user friendly mainly for DSLR users who don't have to use a computer.

A USB-serial adapter is the solution for the serial port requirement.

Greg.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:29 AM
Gama

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan gould View Post
.... The main fault with the 201xt and this autoguider is you cant see the guide star and its very difficult to get good focus as you are working blind. Sorry - I see less advantages of with this than the TVGuider (http://foto.astronomy.cz/TVGuider.htm) previously mentioned in these forums. ....

The kit comes with a parfocal eyepiece to focus with. So you basically focus as normal, then slip out the eyepiece, and pop in the guide camera, and thats it, in focus. So if you think that is hard, or aukward, then thats you. Me, i think not. But everyone is different. My wife wanted to paint the observatory green... GREEN for kripes sake... Divorse was in the air !!. Luckily she changed her mind (Pay her off with money for some furniture).
Its advertised on Myastroshop in QLD now anyway, and i believe they have a few in stock and it was tested and found to be easy to use..

Theo
Old 12-02-2009, 09:58 AM
allan gould

Its good that we have the choice now as with the demise of the STV there was none. I guess its all about one's preferences and perceived attributes. Steve sells a good product and tests exhaustively before becoming an agent. The price is good as well so I guess it will fill the niche its intended for. The more products then the more competition and the lower the price which with the way the AUD is travelling - that can't be bad.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

2 sec max exposure may leave you searching for a guidestar in sparse regions. Also the 4.5mm x 2.9 mm sensor is a bit small. I'd stick with the Orion/QHY autoguider.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:38 PM
gregbradley

[quote=allan gould;410632]Having played with the simulator for this autoguider, its simular but less control than Meades old 201XT autoguider. The main fault with the 201xt and this autoguider is you cant see the guide star and its very difficult to get good focus as you are working blind. Sorry

Good point - how do you focus these if its point and press a button? Does it come preset from the factory as being in focus?

Greg.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:03 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Answering the question about how you focus on a guidestar, the thing comes with a parafocal eyepiece (I believe). They just quoted me EUR398 (apx A$780) delivered. Not cheap!.

Peter
Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Gama

As mentioned, focus is done by a eyepice that is placed in the guider. Focus that, and just swap out. Guider is focused..
Tests done by LVI produced images sufficient to guide with at 2 seconds. So they set it in the software.
But im told it could be changed, but they prefer it not..
But who knows in the future.

Theo.
Old 13-02-2009, 10:00 AM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
Answering the question about how you focus on a guidestar, the thing comes with a parafocal eyepiece (I believe). They just quoted me EUR398 (apx A$780) delivered. Not cheap!.

Peter
This was the same procedure for the 201XT and proved to be its achilles heel. Been there done that. If the star is not focussed properly, the eye can accomodate a miss- focussed star quite well, then the star is bloated and your guiding accuracy goes down a lot. Thats why you NEED to see a star, select the best in the field or get a clean field, focus accurately, lock on to it and then guide. Sorry there is no free lunch when it comes to guiding