Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 06-03-2019, 01:29 PM
beren

Been happy with a Vixen SXD2 for portable imaging and quick set-up viewing, works very nicely with the SB10 and a MGEN standalone guider. Come up on astromart sometimes for a good price.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:44 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Weight is 9kg. I suppose that includes the tripod. What weight is the starlapse if it goes in a back pack.? 4.5kg plus a tripod at 1-2kg?

If I want to carry on or carry up a mountain where the air is clean and 107 minutes is enough maybe a fornax light track at 1.3kg.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beren View Post
Been happy with a Vixen SXD2 for portable imaging and quick set-up viewing, works very nicely with the SB10 and a MGEN standalone guider. Come up on astromart sometimes for a good price.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:25 PM
Decimus (Richard)

Hi Greg,
I very recently purchased the Vixen SXD2 mount; it is light (about 9kg) and can take a 15kg load. It comes with the Star Book Ten hand controller which is dazzling and blows away and hand controller I have seen - gorgeous star charts and a mount with very good tracking accuracy. Worth considering!
Cheers,
Richard
Old 10-03-2019, 11:43 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
Hi Greg,
I very recently purchased the Vixen SXD2 mount; it is light (about 9kg) and can take a 15kg load. It comes with the Star Book Ten hand controller which is dazzling and blows away and hand controller I have seen - gorgeous star charts and a mount with very good tracking accuracy. Worth considering!
Cheers,
Richard
I had one of the Vixen though hardly portable ?

Poster "I don't want a heavy GEM"
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (scope.jpg)
147.8 KB23 views
Old 11-03-2019, 06:47 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
For a reasonable focal length scope, you’ll be better off with a “proper” GEM from the point of view of mechanics, payload and computer control.

The HEQ5 has been around for years, so their behaviour we’ll documented. Overall I think it’s fairly positive, given the reasonable price.
Thanks very much for the recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
My Starlapse has around +/- 6 arc sec, but I have pimped up the ride quite a bit, it is also fitted with a OPWB (one piece worm block), clutch knob set, machined motor cover, G8 digital drive and tripod knob set. I use a Manfrotto tripod for simple camera lens shots, but I can also couple it to a G8 tripod for small refractor (eg FSQ85 or AP92mm )use.

It has been to Ayers Rock, Iceland, Norway and the USA all without breaking luggage weight limits....can't speak highly enough of it. They just work.
It sounds like a reliable piece of gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beren View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Weight is 9kg. I suppose that includes the tripod. What weight is the starlapse if it goes in a back pack.? 4.5kg plus a tripod at 1-2kg?

If I want to carry on or carry up a mountain where the air is clean and 107 minutes is enough maybe a fornax light track at 1.3kg.?
Thanks for that recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
Hi Greg,
Cheers,
Richard
A second for the Vixen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
I had one of the Vixen though hardly portable ?

Poster "I don't want a heavy GEM"
I plan to upgrade my Polarie with a counterweight setup and that should take to reliable tracking at around 135mm.

Then a larger but still portable mount with low periodic error and capable of handling a large lens or small telescope, perhaps as large as a 100mm or an FSQ.

Greg.
Old 31-03-2019, 07:13 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

RST-135 Weightless Mount

Rainbow Astro have changed suppliers of their strain wave gear motors. They’re no longer using super expensive Harmonic Drive(used in RST-150), so better price (still $$$) for a very portable mount with only slight reduction in load capacity. No or only small CWs are attractive for portability.

http://www.rainbowastro.com/new/them...roduct-135.php

Pricing in USD: https://www.tolgaastro.com/store/mou...o-rst-135.html

The ease of Alt Az conversion is impressive:
http://www.rainbowastro.com/xe/rainbow_media/9966

Last edited by AstroApprentice; 31-03-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 31-03-2019, 08:43 AM
gregbradley

Sounds amazing. Price is still quite high though.

Its amazing how there are all these new astro companies with high level products these days.

I have never heard of this one before. Home position sensor is a very useful feature. I like that a lot on my PME.

I ended up getting a used Tak EM10 and also a Fornax Lightrack ii with a Star Adventurer wedge and counterweight system (for nightscapes and shorter lenses).

Greg.