Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-03-2019, 01:36 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Call out to all the auto mechanics out there

Finding it challenging to source valvoline durablend semi synthetic 5w30 lately where I live in western sydney, liverpool area. Grabbed two 5L this morning by chance on a shelf in a local servo. It's still listed on the company website so I was wondering if it is being phased out. I rang hyundai and 10w30 is ok to use on both my 2013 i20 1.4l petrol but it is equally difficult to source. Found an online mob in lanecove that provides 10w30 in 20 L free delivery so I might have to go this way. But ideally I don't want to store more engine oil in my garage, already have 20L of 0w20 for an 86. What do you guys recommend? Any alternative. I don't really like the idea of changing brand or oil type.
Old 17-03-2019, 02:41 PM
glend (Glen)

Penrite has a similar spec oil.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/produc...thetic-5w-30#/

They also have 10W-30 variants.

Remember the old ad that says "oils ain't oil", well actually they are today. If the other brand says it meets the specs on your old brand then it is pretty much the same stuff.
Old 17-03-2019, 04:04 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

I use the Repco branded oil these days. 5w30w fully synthetic for my wife's Lexus and the 10w30w for my older Prado.
NRMA members get 10% discount at Repco so it usually works out a good deal.
I agree with Glen in that most oils come from the same vats these days and are much the same. I tend to avoid oils that claim a wide viscosity range - too many additives to make it so.
Old 17-03-2019, 05:26 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

As an ex RACV guy the above 2 posts are spot on, a full synthetic is always the best.
Old 17-03-2019, 06:22 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Penrite has a similar spec oil.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/produc...thetic-5w-30#/

They also have 10W-30 variants.

Remember the old ad that says "oils ain't oil", well actually they are today. If the other brand says it meets the specs on your old brand then it is pretty much the same stuff.
Could not disagree more with the last statement but your recommendation of Penrite as an alternative is spot on. A very good product !
Old 17-03-2019, 09:34 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Could not disagree more with the last statement but your recommendation of Penrite as an alternative is spot on. A very good product !
So your saying that the manufacturers recommended spec is irrelevant, or I'll advised, or what? Any oil produced to that manufacturers recommended technical specification, comply for service and warranty purposes.
Old 18-03-2019, 12:15 AM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
So your saying that the manufacturers recommended spec is irrelevant, or I'll advised, or what? Any oil produced to that manufacturers recommended technical specification, comply for service and warranty purposes.
Not at all Glen. In fact quite the opposite. The right viscosity and blend as specified by the manufacturer is the most important thing. However the R and D testing that is done by the manufacturer is done with a specific oil and there is no way to know how other additives or friction modifiers in the oils may effect other components. Two prime examples I can think of of the top of my head are the valve stem seals in E90 series BMWs and the DPFs in a large range of modern European diesels. Inferior oils will lubricate the engine to the required specification but the degradation / heat dissipating properties / low Sulfur content may not be. These things effect the longevity of many modern car components. I would suggest that most of the major brands will be acceptable but not the lower quality " home brand " oils. Even if they have the right general certification.
Old 18-03-2019, 12:25 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Thanks for the replies. I phoned around to check and ENGINE ARMOUR 5W-30 has nearly the same specs. Seems it will do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
I tend to avoid oils that claim a wide viscosity range - too many additives to make it so.
Yeah me too but I do my changes every 5000km or 6 months which ever comes first. In that time unlikely you'd burn all the additives. Still a valid point though.