Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2018, 07:41 AM
Russj (Russ)

Is Win10 the worst version ever?

I've been using windows since 3.11 after moving from a Commadore 64, in the early days of windows there were plenty of problems but it was perhaps expected as the os developed, moving up thru 95 and Win7 the os improved and while there were still problems, Win7 in particular worked well for me.
Enter win10 what a piece of garbage, hard drive hammering away continuously, 10 second lock ups where not even the mouse pointer will move, a useless browser that you cant disable, upgrades you cant turn off and generally make the problems worst, just to mention a few.
I've carried out every "fix" that I've been able to locate and the problems persists looking at the M$ forums there are ongong complaints that M$ seems to totally ignore, in 1990's we expected a few problems with an os as they developed, but we're in 2018 when you would expect an os that is at its peak development, instead we have an os that is as bad as win3.11

Interested in other forum members comments, is anyone happy with win10?
Old 12-11-2018, 08:06 AM
Marke (Mark)

I have had very few issues if any with Win10 its been pretty smooth actually . My main issue with it is that it caters to much for mobile / laptop use with its tiles and crap and updates that change things without notifying you but as for running smooth thats never been an issue.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:15 AM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russj View Post
instead we have an os that is as bad as win3.11
What a ridiculous biased statement.

Hopefully the mods will lock this clickbait thread immediately! It's all been said and locked before hasn't it?
Old 12-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Lognic04 (Logan)

I moved to Linux Mint, couldn't be happier! Running it for a year now!
Old 12-11-2018, 08:56 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lognic04 View Post
I moved to Linux Mint, couldn't be happier! Running it for a year now!

Yep, been on Mint for perhaps a decade (Ubuntu before that) and I'm very happy. My wife needs some Win-only software and for that I have Win 7 in a VM. For most users I can't see the need for Win.

Having said that I have used Win 7 at work for years without a problem. It started looking dated but that was all. I've had Win 10 for a month or more now and it's fine. Looks and feels smoother than 7 and is perceptibly quicker.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:41 AM
redbeard (Damien)

I agree that Win 10 is the absolute worst version ever!

I do a lot of different tasks with my pc, software and hardware and I find Win 10 unusable quite often. Not installed anymore.
File transfer for one is a joke. Win7, 20 times faster which is normal.
Win 7 works very well.

Cheers,
Damien
Old 12-11-2018, 11:42 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Nope, Vista or Win8 take the cake for worst ever. I remember my wife suffering with Vista for a LONG time before I flushed it to XP for her. I run Win7 on my astro-imaging/safe-secure work machine, and only use Win10 (the one I am using now) for general useless stuff like forum chat etc etc. Not a single important or personal thing is kept on here.

Much of the mouse hanging in Win10 can be a fault of Chrome browser, that Google cannot seem to fix in the most recent "updates" (more like Google intrusion). It particularly stalls with certain anti-virus programmes (might say something about Chrome...hmmmm), especially Malwarebytes.

Plus, Chrome has started NOT allowing me to go to some websites despite me trusting them, so I just use Firefox. Chrome can go jump.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:46 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I use mac and windows
Mac has never been an issue but in regards to windows, I loved win 7 but win 10 seems awesome until update time which is forced upon you.
Not a fan of forced updates which at times seems to wreck things rather than fix them
Old 12-11-2018, 11:49 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I turned Win10 updates off a LONG time ago. Takes some registry etc finagling, but it CAN be done, despite what Windows/Microsoft tells you. Just google it...
Old 12-11-2018, 11:54 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russj View Post
Interested in other forum members comments, is anyone happy with win10?
Yes it runs happily in the background without intruding and not crashing at all, across a host of applications from browsing, Word, Stats, Eng., video editing, etc...

Best
JA
Old 12-11-2018, 12:06 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Nope ...Don't like it... runs like a ' ripple ' in a bucket of sh*t

Win 7 Ultimate 64Bit for me ...runs smooth as a Swiss Watch ...

Col...
Old 12-11-2018, 01:47 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

I quite like Win10, except for one issue I had recently...

When I take my laptop home, I leave it running with the screen close, when not in use. The settings are such that it won't shut off, so I can jump straight back on with no down time.

Now, a few weeks ago, I opened the screen to blackness, but the system was still chugging away. So, 5 seconds on the power button and a forced reset. Up comes the expected Safe Mode login screen, and I enter the password... Failed. So I enter it again, confirming each keystroke as I go... Failed. Hmm.. Restart... Safe Mode, same result, wth? I thought, "OK, I'll show you." Advanced Restart, Wipe Everything... Failed. How the heck? Just wipe! Nope.

Eventually, I worked it out without losing everything on the laptop (which has been running faultlessly since 2012, I will add). It turned out that there was a command line set of operations that would reset the password cache or something, and then I was able to login as per normal.

Also, I will add that this error has popped up occasionally since at least Windows 7.

Win 10 for me is very solid, and removing the Edge browser icon was as good as deleting it. Opera runs rings around it anyway, and has a built-in VPN.

Also, I liked Windows Vista. I'm a tinkerer, and Vista let me customise quite a lot to my liking.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:30 PM
Max Vondel (Peter)
Time Traveller

I hate Windows 10
with all its stupid new look boxes
Can't turn off windows update except by drama
No bloody good if you are tethering your computer through your phone as I do.
And its hard to find drives and stuff
Still got win7 on my main and I am happy with that
I have to say it's the worst window systems yet
"Not happy Jan"
Old 12-11-2018, 04:26 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Windows 10 as the worst ever version of Windows? I don't know if it bests Window Me to take that accolade.
Windows 10 as the worst version ever of Windows mobile on multi-platform? Absolutely yes, no ifs, no buts, no maybes.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:14 PM
raymo

I will list two or three problems out of the almost countless ones I have had with W10. The compulsory update deleted my Windows games such as
Hearts, Freecell, etc: DSS will not work on either of my W10 laptops, despite
deleting and re downloading DSS several times, and the DSS problems are bizarre, such as the final image being fine, but when saved it saves one
original sub rather than the final image. The other laptop changes the final image into mono when saving it. On one laptop I can only put one sub at a time into DSS[ a huge pain if stacking 100 or more subs], and the other
laptop only allows me to first enter 4 subs, and then singly after that.
My email inbox empties itself into cyberspace from time to time, so I have to check my emails very frequently, or risk losing them. I won't bore you all with any more. W10 sucks. My ancient W7 laptop just keeps soldiering on,
albeit slowly.
raymo
Old 12-11-2018, 05:30 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I will list two or three problems out of the almost countless ones I have had with W10. The compulsory update deleted my Windows games such as
Hearts, Freecell, etc: DSS will not work on either of my W10 laptops, despite
deleting and re downloading DSS several times, and the DSS problems are bizarre, such as the final image being fine, but when saved it saves one
original sub rather than the final image. The other laptop changes the final image into mono when saving it. On one laptop I can only put one sub at a time into DSS[ a huge pain if stacking 100 or more subs], and the other
laptop only allows me to first enter 4 subs, and then singly after that.
My email inbox empties itself into cyberspace from time to time, so I have to check my emails very frequently, or risk losing them. I won't bore you all with any more. W10 sucks. My ancient W7 laptop just keeps soldiering on,
albeit slowly.
raymo
Raymo, re the email - check settings to keep the email indefinitely or until you delete it, otherwise, Windows defaults to keeping them for 30 days or something. It is one of the first settings you must change.

With DSS, I suggest you also check the save parameters when you are saving - if I remember, it does give several options. Also, try Shift-A when selecting your files.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:58 PM
raymo

Hi Lewis, Re the emails; the settings are o.k. it dumps them randomly, after
12hrs, a week, or a month, or any other amount of time. Ditto with DSS settings. As far as I know there is no way you can set it to save a single sub instead of the final image, what would be the point? Similarly, when would one complete the colour balance, saturation, and luminance adjustments, only to then want to convert the final image to black and white?
My really ancient W7 laptop still does DSS faultlessly, so I dawdle along with that. Another of my problems is that one W10 laptop automatically goes on
line when fired up, but the other one connects sometimes, but I usually have to do it manually[ the auto connect box is ticked].
Both W10 laptops used to allow loading all images into DSS in one go, but if I try now with Shift-A, or try highlighting more than four subs,
it goes haywire like when you pull the lever on an old fashioned poker machine, and the fruit goes spinning around.
Incidentally, I cannot access settings in my email, the settings tab is inoperative, but all the other tabs are fine.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 12-11-2018 at 06:11 PM. Reason: more text
Old 12-11-2018, 06:00 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I turned Win10 updates off a LONG time ago. Takes some registry etc finagling, but it CAN be done, despite what Windows/Microsoft tells you. Just google it...
Cmon Lewis, give us the good oil!!
Old 12-11-2018, 06:13 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Cmon Lewis, give us the good oil!!
Hi Peter, I'm sure Lewis will. In the meantime, some light reading:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=168460

Be Excellent to Yourself!
Old 12-11-2018, 06:25 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)