Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 06-11-2018, 06:04 PM
brisen (Brian)

Help with collimating 12" RC

I thought I was making headway with the collimation of this scope but am at the point where nothing I do improves the collimation which is currently a mile out. I have centred the laser on the centre spot on the secondary and have a Tak collimation scope. If anything my adjustments are making it worse.

I can collimate a SCT and understand the process of collimating an RC but would appreciate a hand if someone is able to assist with actually getting this back to collimation. I have the bits and pieces to effect collimation, I just cant get the scope to cooperate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian
Old 23-11-2018, 09:29 AM
Star Catcher (Ted Dobosz)

Agree, in theory you almost have all the tools to get is right. A tilt ring at the rear of the tube helps to get the mechanical axis to match optical axis. Can you rotate the whole focus assembly and see how the laser spot moves on the secondary? If it rotates off the spot significantly after you have applied the Tak collimator then you have an issue. Then it will be necessary for an iterative process between tak scope and laser collimator until laser and tak coincide through rotation. Another possibility is a poor quality laser collimator.

Ted
Old 23-11-2018, 11:25 AM
glend (Glen)

I hope you have not tried to adjust the primary, the number one rule with those GSO RCs is never adjust the primary. If you move the primary, which is supposed to be setup at the factory, then all that you try thereafter is just going to put you in an iterative loop of adjustment. I suggest you read one or two of the hundred RC collimation threads that litter the forums. CN has a lot of them. Good luck.