Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 20-02-2018, 01:15 AM
deepskyeyes

Recommend me a starting point...

Been using my 12” dob to browse and take photos of the night sky to someone success but it’s time for an upgrade.

I’m wanting to get into astrophotography and have been using an Olympus 4/3 camera.

My question is...

If I get an eq scope and a ccd camera what’s a good size/combo to get decent shot so of the Leo trio and Stefan’s quintet.

I’m talking images that can be blown up to a3 or more without quality loss.

Would 3-4K cover something?

What’s more important - the scope or the camera.

I can stick to the Olympus but I’d rather get one I can view live on the laptop.

I’m not looking to buy second hand, I prefer new.

I’ve been stung in the past before buying something and then 1-2 months later a new model at half the price comes out.

Thanks in advance.
Old 20-02-2018, 07:14 AM
John K

You would propably get more responses if you posted this question in the beginners equipment section I would say.

An RC8 on an EQ5 or EQ6 could be a good start for you with a OSC camera from ZWO, You will also need an autoguider and electric focuser.

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/optical-telescopes

Otherwise keep a look out for a a S/H AP set up on IIS.

The move from a dobsonian straight into doing AP through a telescope is a big move. You will need to learn how to polar align, guide, focus, take images and then process your images.

Perhaps start off with an 8" on an EQ mount like the RC8 and do some picky back stuff first.

Good luck.

John K.

Last edited by John K; 20-02-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 20-02-2018, 07:18 AM
Lognic04 (Logan)

The most important part is the mount. For an RC8, at least an eq6, but otherwise i agree with John. There is a lot of effort needed to do deep sky astrophotography, and it isn't cheap either. But if you are willing to put in the effort, I'm sure you will make some great images!
Old 20-02-2018, 08:21 AM
baileys2611 (Simon Bailey)
I like biscuits

I started off with Binoculars and an old Tasco hobby scope.

Then moved to an iOptron and an 80mm APO with an orion starshoot. Polar alignment was the very first hurdle and from there you can upgrade.

Neq6 came shortly thereafter with the same APO, then a Meade 8" and then a 9.25" Celestron on a Paramount MX.

After a short sojourn into an MI-250 I went to a 12" RC and ended up with an AP1600GTO.

Each step was incremental and required more understanding of photography, alignment, tracking, software, guiding, collimation, scope cleaning and care, mechanical concepts, adapters, shipping (!!), science of light and refraction, some complex math on CCDs and capturing data, image processing and so on.

It never ends, but who would want it to. Certainly no-one on this forum.
Old 20-02-2018, 08:29 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I'd get a small refractor to start with and a decent mount. That will keep you busy for a long while and you can test the waters. There's no easy answer to your questions. You have to jump the deep end like all of us and start swimming. Spend little, lose little.
Old 20-02-2018, 09:44 AM
deepskyeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post

An RC8 on an EQ5 or EQ6 could be a good start for you with a OSC camera from ZWO, You will also need an autoguider and electric focused
Thanks John, a ZWO was what I was looking at but wasn’t sure if mono or colour was the way to go.
Old 20-02-2018, 09:46 AM
deepskyeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
You would propably get more responses if you posted this question in the beginners equipment section I would say.

An RC8 on an EQ5 or EQ6 could be a good start for you with a OSC camera from ZWO, You will also need an autoguider and electric focuser.

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/optical-telescopes

Otherwise keep a look out for a a S/H AP set up on IIS.

The move from a dobsonian straight into doing AP through a telescope is a big move. You will need to learn how to polar align, guide, focus, take images and then process your images.

Perhaps start off with an 8" on an EQ mount like the RC8 and do some picky back stuff first.

Good luck.

John K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileys2611 View Post
I started off with Binoculars and an old Tasco hobby scope.

Then moved to an iOptron and an 80mm APO with an orion starshoot. Polar alignment was the very first hurdle and from there you can upgrade.

Neq6 came shortly thereafter with the same APO, then a Meade 8" and then a 9.25" Celestron on a Paramount MX.

After a short sojourn into an MI-250 I went to a 12" RC and ended up with an AP1600GTO.

Each step was incremental and required more understanding of photography, alignment, tracking, software, guiding, collimation, scope cleaning and care, mechanical concepts, adapters, shipping (!!), science of light and refraction, some complex math on CCDs and capturing data, image processing and so on.

It never ends, but who would want it to. Certainly no-one on this forum.
I was thinking of getting an eq Mount for wh dob but it’s collapsable so it isn’t compatible.

Onwards and upwards!
Old 20-02-2018, 10:30 AM
John K

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepskyeyes View Post
Thanks John, a ZWO was what I was looking at but wasn’t sure if mono or colour was the way to go.
I would in fact just stick with your Pentax until you get going with polar alignment, focusing and guiding.

I took some amazing images with my old Canon 400D - then I got it cooled - now I am doing mono, so just as others have said, spend less and risk less, and take it easy on the learning curve and enjoy the journey.

Uncooled 400D images:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnka...7594507459369/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnka...7594507459369/
Old 22-02-2018, 01:42 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

I think starting off with a zwo isn't too bad. It's not that much more difficult than using a dslr nowadays with all these new softwares especially if you get a osc.