Old 11-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Canon DSLR software issue

Hi all,

Just bought a Canon 40D. I have had one little problem with the included software - all seemed to load fine and setup icons for me etc and most work except for 2 of the programs EOS Utilities and Picture Style Editor. They just come up saying program wont run. I've unistalled and then re-installed custom just these 2 but no luck. I'm running windows Vista so don't know if that's part of the bother.

Just wanted to check if anyone has any ideas?

thanks
Old 11-05-2008, 07:50 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

I'm running the Canon 40D software on Vista and XP with no problems.
Must add though, that I only use the Digital Photo Pro software on Vista. and the EOS Utility only on my XP Laptop. All programs installed from CD without problem on Vista and the EOS Utility opens up with no problems - can't test it on the 40D, it's off getting modded!
There's obviously a conflict happening on your system though - sorry can't help out, but it works on my Vista desktop.
Good Luck - EOS Utility is a must for the 40D
Doug
Old 11-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

As discussed in our PM exchange, all works fine on my desktop and laptop running XP Pro. I did hear some stuff, somewhere, about having to disable a Vista "security" feature that might think these apps are viruses?

Cheers

Dennis
Old 11-05-2008, 10:07 PM
skwinty (Steve)
E pur si muove

Hi Robert
Have you installed the Vista service pack?
Old 12-05-2008, 06:21 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwinty View Post
Hi Robert
Have you installed the Vista service pack?
Hi skwinty, not sure. I loaded what came with the camera and when that didn't work went to the canon site and downloaded update that is meant to cover vista. It still doesn't work, but the instructions were confusing, I had to have the disk in place when running the download, but wasn't clear when or how etc? Is there a specific Visat service pack for canon software I shoul have?

thanks.

Rob
Old 12-05-2008, 03:14 PM
skwinty (Steve)
E pur si muove

Hi Robert
The service pack for Vista is by Microsoft and its for the Vista operating system. There have been a lot of install issues with Vista and Microsoft released this service pack. I believe it solves a lot of these problems. It probably is a very big download, so if you dont have adsl then go to your computer dealer as they should be able to give you a cd with the software.

I do not use Vista and will stick to XP pro for these very reasons. Maybe after service pack 3 and a new pc I may migrate to Vista.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Suzy_A

Hi Robert,

you don't actually say (or did I miss it), but are you running Windoze Vista or something else?

I found that with Win XP, you need the latest service pack, otherwise the canon software does what you said. The same thing with Vista - you need the latest service pack - it's like 150 MB or something.

I ended up running the canon software on my old 300 MHz laptop with Win2000 until I got a new computer with Vista, and then I had to spend a day downloading service packs and patches ("Updates" in Microsucks speak) before it worked under Mista.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Thanks Skwinty and Suzy... I just finished dowloading and installing the lates Vista service pack (yes I am running Vista), but no luck.. even re-installed the two programs giving me trouble.

I'm running out of ideas, I've tried running the programs in Xp compatability mode, Windows 200 compatability mode etc etc.

Anymore suggestions welcome
Old 13-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Suzy_A

What version EOS disk do you have? I have 15.1. I found that a previous version - I think it might have been 12.1 or something, it came with my 30D - wouldn't recognise the 40D. (My 30D was stolen, so I got a 40D from the insuance money - plus an extra $700 or so...)
Old 13-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy_A View Post
What version EOS disk do you have? I have 15.1. I found that a previous version - I think it might have been 12.1 or something, it came with my 30D - wouldn't recognise the 40D. (My 30D was stolen, so I got a 40D from the insuance money - plus an extra $700 or so...)
Hi suzy, mine is 15.1 too. I've even gone to Canon web-site and got more recent updates. Joined a Canon EOS forum and no-one there has been able to suggest anything new. Nothing works. I give up. I

've just bought Images Plus and its Camera control software and hope that with this I wont need EOS utility
Old 14-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Starman73

Canon EOS and Vista difficulties

Hi All,

I have a Canon EOS 350D and a laptop running Vista. I can't even get the install program to work on my computer!!!!!!!!

I insert the CD, it comes up with the requester so ask if I am going to allow the program, I click yes and then nothing, the program shuts down. It works perfectly fine on my XP desktop so its not a CD issue.

I have also run it in a number of compatability modes all to no avail.

Any ideas anyone! I also have automatic updates on for my computer, so I should have all the latest Vista updates.

If anyone can offer any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't be so concerned and say it just Vista doing it but it doesn't even run the install program.

Regards
Paul
Old 15-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Starman73

Hi All,

Just a quick update. Thought I would try the in install program again this afternoon and guess what, it worked. Don't know what the problem was but it seems to be working now. There was a little trouble installing the WIA Driver, but I have downloaded the update from Canon so all should be well.

Hope all goes well for you all with problems
Paul