Old 08-11-2007, 02:31 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

ToUCam+laptop=no-go, & serial-to-USB

Hi all,

Two questions..

I've just bought a new laptop (Acer Aspire 5315 w/Vista) partially for use with my ToUCam 900nc. Being at work I don't have all the software (e.g. Philips "VLounge"), but I downloaded the Vista drivers. They installed ok, but when I plug in the cam, it doesn't come up. It's recognised by Windows (i.e. in device manager) but the tray icon still has an 'X' on it, and My Computer doesn't register it. It worked fine on my XP desktop (haven't tried it at home on Vista yet). Has anyone had success with a similar setup? Is it a driver issue, or the cam not getting enough power from the USB ports (I've tried all 3 USB 2.0 ports)?

Secondly, my new laptop doesn't have a serial port (I've just stopped kicking myself), so I can't directly run my David Ek DSC's.. I've seen serial-to-usb adapters for sale overseas, and I know there are issues with some not working with the DSC. Question is, are there any locally available adapters that are known to work? I'm in Melbourne, but if I have to source from interstate I will.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Stephen65

I run the 900NC from my laptop without power problems.

I use K3CCDTools to run the camera, maybe try downloading that (it comes with 35 day free trial) and see if that works? That might help you isolate the problem.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:21 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I know of some people that had problems getting the ToUcam to run on vista - something to do with the drivers.

I think it was Astroman (Andrew).
Old 08-11-2007, 03:37 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen65 View Post
I run the 900NC from my laptop without power problems.

I use K3CCDTools to run the camera, maybe try downloading that (it comes with 35 day free trial) and see if that works? That might help you isolate the problem.
Was that under Vista, and also what laptop?

I've installed K3CCDTools. I ran it before plugging in the cam, and it said 'no imaging device' or similar, as I'd expect. I then exited, plugged in the cam and re-started K3CCDTools. I didn't get any error message, but neither can I see any video feed. Thanks for the idea though, I'll play with it tonight.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:41 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
I know of some people that had problems getting the ToUcam to run on vista - something to do with the drivers.

I think it was Astroman (Andrew).
Thanks for the info. That's a bugger considering they are Vista drivers.

EDIT: Have had some success! I've installed Philips VLounge software and I can see the video feed through it, so at least I know it does work. Now to work out why I can't see it in K3CCDTools.

Last edited by programmer; 08-11-2007 at 05:35 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-11-2007, 05:47 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

If K3 won't load in Vista, just use the Philips Vlounge. It works fine. I only ever use Vlounge for Avi's and Desire for Long Exposures. I tried K3 and it's too confusing for me, but if you want to use K3, keep persisting.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Vlounge wont run under vista, well not with the 840K anyway. The drivers I used were for the 840K not the 900NC
Old 08-11-2007, 09:30 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
If K3 won't load in Vista, just use the Philips Vlounge. It works fine. I only ever use Vlounge for Avi's and Desire for Long Exposures. I tried K3 and it's too confusing for me, but if you want to use K3, keep persisting.
Yes, I think there's no way I can learn K3 on the spot tonight, I'll just be wasting clear sky time. Good idea, will stick with with VLounge for tonight.

Astroman: I do have VLounge running on Vista on my laptop and was seeing video through the ToUCam, so lucked out there. Also had K3 working but now it seems to be unable to detect the camera (can't choose it from the list). Will try again another time.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:12 AM
IanL

This may or may not help but worth a try. If you right click on the .EXE file that you are trying to run. You should see in the list properties and once in that you will see compatibility. Try running the program compatibility in XP opposed to vista.

Ian