Old 23-05-2012, 07:17 PM
markas (Mark)

Planetary Cameras

I am looking to buy my first camera for planet work to be used with Celestron 925 CGEM. Point Grey and Image Source seem to be the most favoured, I need advice on two issues:

1. Mono with filters or direct colour?

2. Rolling shutters vs global

The Image Source say that rolling shutters are not recommended for astronomy, which would rule out the Point Grey colour cameras.

Can anyone shed some light on these questions?

Mark

Last edited by markas; 23-05-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 25-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Poita (Peter)

A lot of people prefer mono cameras for planetary work, but look at the images from Asimov here and you will see you can do great work with a colour camera.
In theory you get more detail with a mono camera, but for planetary it is a bit more complicated due to planet rotation and the huge number of images being stacked, so it doesn't necessarily turn out that way.

The ones based on the 618 chip are the current favourites, you want a CCD not a CMOS camera generally.

Imaging source also make cheaper cameras with the same CCDs as the point grey cameras.

If you want I can send you a DBK21 colour camera to try out, just PM me your address.

-Peter
Old 26-05-2012, 06:23 AM
markas (Mark)

Peter,

Many thanks for the info. And also for the kind offer, which Iwill decline as you have convinced me to take the plunge on the DBK 21.

Mark