Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-05-2016, 02:38 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Blue Mountains - Katoomba Airfield, July 2nd

Hi folks,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Katoomba Airfield closed until further notice.
Please refer to post No.17 of this thread for more information.

This year's been a dreadful one for those of us who frequent Katoomba Airfield. Late February Rod was killed in a dreadful flying accident, just off the end of the long runway. The entire flying community has been in mourning, and we, his astro friends, have also been greatly saddened by the tragedy.

The dream that Rod had for the Airfield has not been lost though. His family is also heavily involved in flying, and they have kept the Airfield open, and are welcoming of the community groups that used the Airfield previously to keep doing so.

So, thanks to the love of Rod's family and friends, we again have access to the Airfield!

The first session since Rod's passing will be for Saturday July 2nd. Yes it is some six weeks away, but I thought it best to give as much time as possible for everyone.

It will be hard for me to visit the Airfield, knowing Rod won't be there to greet us. I miss my friend. But I also want to help keep his dream moving along too.

I'll post more details shortly, like how to access the Airfield for those who haven't been there before and would like to come

Cheers,

Alex.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Katoomba Airfield closed until further notice.
Please refer to post No.17 of this thread for more information.

Many thanks,

Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Katoomba Airfield 20-9-14 (1).JPG)
97.5 KB91 views
Click for full-size image (Katoomba Airfield 20-9-14 (2).JPG)
108.5 KB110 views

Last edited by sheeny; 28-06-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 23-05-2016, 04:03 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Hi Alex,

That's very gracious of Rod's family to let us keep using the airfield. I look forward to the winter cold up there!
Old 23-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Wavytone

Hmm... I have a better offer
Old 23-05-2016, 11:05 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

I've missed the airfield. I look forward to this date.
Old 24-05-2016, 08:35 AM
Oleg

I didn't know that Rod was killed until this morning.

I reckon to die like this flying he's own plane is a great way to fall off the twig for a pilot.

He now can be at any place he wants to be so I'm pretty sure he will visit us on the next session.
He was looking after the field and devoted the rest of his life to it, he will be back from time to time.

Looking forward to 2 July.
Old 24-05-2016, 09:43 AM
killswitch (Edison)

Looking forward to this as well. Its been a long time since last.
Old 26-05-2016, 08:58 PM
dulwich.hill (James)

I am really keen to come too - it has been too long since I was up at Katoomba. My best memories of this site are winter ones with my toes freezing but the atmosphere so clear and still.

So sorry to hear news of Rod's passing. Oleg is right, he will visit us again from time to time. We should leave a scope set up just for him!

James
Old 27-05-2016, 06:52 PM
AstroJason (Jason)

So nice of Rod's family to let us to continue to use the airfield. Locking in this date. Looking forward to catching up with you guys.
Old 27-05-2016, 09:06 PM
andyc (Andy)

If I can come I would love to! And I'm very sorry to hear about Rod, I had no idea about the tragedy . Fingers crossed for good weather...
Old 01-06-2016, 07:45 AM
johngwheeler (John)

I'd like to come if I can! Sounds a bit chilly in July though <brrrrrrr.....>

John
Old 01-06-2016, 09:11 AM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngwheeler View Post
I'd like to come if I can! Sounds a bit chilly in July though <brrrrrrr.....>

John

Yep - very cold. But dark and often good transparency with not much dew.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:14 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

It does get blooming cold up in the Mountains, so come prepared!

There is a combustion heater we use in the office building - it becomes centre of the Universe as everyone makes a pilgrimage to sit in front of it

You may like to also take a thermos of a hot drink - good way to warm up too.

NOTE: as when Rod was with us, the hat will get passed around to pay for the gift we give to the Airfield manager to say thanks we share the cost of it.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:08 AM
dimithri86 (Dimithri)

Hey Alex,

Is this event open to non iis people? I have some friends interested in astro who want to piggy back on my mount for wide field. Of course I would give them very clear instructions regarding dark spot etiquette.

Dimithri.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:10 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Hi Dimithri,

This is open to EVERYONE. It is an informal gathering, and everyone is welcome.

Don't have a scope? No problem, you are welcome to join us and have a look through our scopes.

Only have binoculars? Excellent! Bring them along! Big or small, it doesn't matter as they are all great for star viewing!!!

Have a scope? Magnificent! Bring it along! Again, don't feel ashamed by what you may think of your scope. If you are unsure how to use it to its full capabilities, this is a great chance to pick up some tips on how to get the most from your scope. I firmly believe that any scope is better than no scope.

Alex.
Old 22-06-2016, 11:14 AM
mr bruess
Stargazer who Posts

got

i gotta go
Old 23-06-2016, 08:56 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Looks like the International Space Station will be making an appearance on July 2nd too around 6:20pm.
Old 27-06-2016, 06:58 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

Please be aware of the change of situation regarding Katoomba Airfield.

I received a call today from the family of Rod Hay. The circumstances of insurance regarding the Airfield has taken a turn for the worse, with lawyers advising that all activities on the Airfield are suspended until further notice. The Airfield is now effectively just an emergency landing strip until the insurance situation is sorted.

This has come as a big kick in the guts to everyone involved with the Airfield, not just Rod's family, but the pilots who use and maintain the site and all the community groups who have enjoyed the Airfield.

I have spoken to an IIS member who lives in Medlow Bath about looking at a couple of alternative sites for us to use on Saturday. Please look at this thread from tomorrow for news on the new alternative site we will use. Thank you so much Ivan for being boots on the ground in inspecting these new alternative sites. One of these is just past the Airfield, the other is on the way to Lithgow on the Bell's Line of Road. These two sites are being inspected and evaluated next to the condition of Mt Blackheath as our final fall back site. Hargraves Lookout is now stuffed with the new lights from the Hydro Majestic,

The Airfield is a much cherished asset not just for astro and the flying fraternity, but for dozens of other community groups. There are a lot of people at work trying to sort out the situation to restore the Airfield's accessibility as it was previously. Hopefully all this will be done in the next few months - they are having to deal with a local Council and Crown Lands, not just insurance people...
Old 27-06-2016, 07:09 PM
Kunama

What a shame Alex, hopefully it can be sorted out. I just mentioned to Ivan yesterday that I would be up there on the 2nd. I'll wait for an update.
Cheers !
Old 29-06-2016, 11:10 AM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

I'm struggling with a cold so will require a late fitness test.
Old 29-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

I hope that this sorts out for you Sou'Westies (from here anyway). Always a shame when a personal tragedy occurs. When the bureaucrats get involved (even rightly so), it feels like an unnecessary kick in the backside.

Insurance will be a big sticking point for sure. I'm not sure how standing on a piece of ground is an insurance risk, but those that make the rules deem it so... what can you do?

If you are in a pinch to look upwards, the Mangrove Mountain Pony Club is looking very likely to be on this Saturday. Also likely to be cold, but probably not as cold as Katoomba. I know it is a fair drive though, but the offer is open to all.

All the best, guys and gals.