Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-05-2016, 07:21 AM
Kunama

Nothing 'peasant' about the ED120 Steve, in fact on most targets the difference I have seen compared to the $$$$ brands is very small indeed.
Certainly a lot of scope for that money.
Old 26-05-2016, 03:03 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

A lot of the ads stress "pick up only" which is no good to me living in SE of South Aust.
Old 26-05-2016, 03:18 PM
glend (Glen)

People have been educated by Ebay to view the IIS Classifieds as if they are ebay ads. They will watch something they might like to buy hoping for the price to go down - they all expect alot for next to nothing. I believe IIS should do something to put a count down timer on all ads so that they behave like ebay sales, this might force people to make a decision instead of expressing disappointment when an item was withdrawn after 500 views with no interest.
Old 26-05-2016, 03:26 PM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
. They will watch something they might like to buy hoping for the price to go down - they all expect alot for next to nothing. .
Just my opinion but I don't think that's the prime issue. I think it simply comes down to supply and demand as mentioned earlier in the thread. Top quality gear will sell for ~2/3 of new if there's someone looking to buy at the time you're selling.

It's a bit more of an uphill battle atm I suspect with a lot of people having stocked up when the $AU was stronger.
Old 26-05-2016, 05:17 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
A lot of the ads stress "pick up only" which is no good to me living in SE of South Aust.
If you can find a decent courier's in your area, they'll do the pick up for you with minimal hassles for seller & buyer. Here (in Preston, Melbourne) I am lucky to have Pack & Send down the road; helpful folks, good rates. I'm sure you could do it online as well but I prefer to talk to someone in person. Maybe over the phone would be the next best thing.
Old 26-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I get put off by sellers who wont separate and those who don't name a price.
Photos that are sideways and are out of focus or huge are another pet hate.
Old 27-05-2016, 10:27 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
Hi Richard,

This is a very good point you make. And I agree. No easy solution for this in many instances when the original packing of a scope most likely isn't available any more. Then to knock up suitable packing is either too risky an exercise for the seller, or it would increase the cost as to make a crate to take a scope isn't without expense - this cost needs to be passed on. It is an unknown cost and can blow out the final expense of the gear. And I have not mentioned the cost of freight and insurance.

Not an easy equation, so many seller just won't entertain the idea of freighting an item. Steve also mentioned having the good fortune of there being a freight company that he trusts to pack his gear, which is something not everyone has ready access to.

I have a scope for sale here in IIS. I don't have packaging to freight it out, say to you in SA. And I am only too keenly aware that it limits the number of people who would be interested in it. To source and make suitable packing for the scope, mount and stuff would take time and money - see what I mean? And as an advertiser, I want to make the offer as attractive as I can.

Alex.
Old 27-05-2016, 10:37 AM
glend (Glen)

Well if you can reach the right buyer they will travel to get it, if the price is attractive enough. It took me a long time to sell my 16" dob despite a great price and heaps of extras and enhancements. Eventually it was sold to a buyer from southern Victoria who was prepared to drive for two days to pick it up, and a 16" dob does take up some room in a vehicle. Make it attractive enough and someone will come and get it, but maybe that only applies to big heavy scopes or high end mounts. I would not expect anyone to drive a long way to pick up a 100mm refractor, well unless it had a TAK sticker on it, ha ha.
Old 27-05-2016, 10:48 AM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Thanks Alex. Yes you make very good points too. Thanks for changing your ad. If I wanted your scope I'd at least have the chance to buy it. Many people maybe prepared to pay the extra to get that scope they've been looking for. Cheers Richard
Old 27-05-2016, 11:48 AM
luka
Unregistered User

Here in WA the economy is not doing well due to the end of the mining boom. People are just happy to have jobs and don't want to spend.

Smaller things will still get bought/sold, simply because it is "easier" to spend 5x$100 than $500 in one go.
Old 27-05-2016, 01:22 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Hi Richard,

This is a very good point you make. And I agree. No easy solution for this in many instances when the original packing of a scope most likely isn't available any more. Then to knock up suitable packing is either too risky an exercise for the seller, or it would increase the cost as to make a crate to take a scope isn't without expense - this cost needs to be passed on. It is an unknown cost and can blow out the final expense of the gear. And I have not mentioned the cost of freight and insurance.

Not an easy equation, so many seller just won't entertain the idea of freighting an item. Steve also mentioned having the good fortune of there being a freight company that he trusts to pack his gear, which is something not everyone has ready access to.

I have a scope for sale here in IIS. I don't have packaging to freight it out, say to you in SA. And I am only too keenly aware that it limits the number of people who would be interested in it. To source and make suitable packing for the scope, mount and stuff would take time and money - see what I mean? And as an advertiser, I want to make the offer as attractive as I can.

Alex.
Having sold a LOT, and having to post 95% of it, actually, it is NOT difficult.

Free sources of boxes abound - Bunnings being a prime one. I have raided their end-of-checkout box bins MANY times - long boxes are usually there - I'll grab 4 or 5. Also grab the thick cardboard ones for stiffening.

Free padding: advertising "junk" mail, local free newspapers, and recycled bubble wrap. I recently had to buy a new roll of bubble wrap - 10 metres cost me $12 in Officeworks.

Generally, I can get away with making a box for a long refractor for about $3 - that's mainly tape and some bubble wrap. Takes about 5 minutes of my time. Then Pack n Send choofs it off cheap, and they ALWAYS black "cling wrap" it for me gratis.

Of course, this doesn't apply to Dobsonians (but I have posted a complete Takahashi NJP mount including non-retractable mahogany legs - and that mount and the tripod are BEASTS - was not difficult)
Old 27-05-2016, 01:47 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
Here in WA the economy is not doing well due to the end of the mining boom. People are just happy to have jobs and don't want to spend.

Smaller things will still get bought/sold, simply because it is "easier" to spend 5x$100 than $500 in one go.
I hear what you're saying re the economy here in WA Luka. Oddly enough Colin Barnett was on the radio yesterday telling us all how WA has the best economy in all of Aus...wtf

Maybe he hasn't seen all the shops and businesses closing and people being laid off etc.

Anyway, we digress....