Old 13-11-2014, 05:29 PM
urbanspaceman (Laurie)

Mak or refractor

I am looking for words of wisdom, currently own a 8 inch reflector on a HEQ5 mount and a 16 inch Dob using argo navis. I have some change in my pocket and looking to buy a 120 x 1000 refractor or a 150 x 1800 Mak to be used on the EQ mount. It will mainly be used for visual work or maybe (i say maybe) low level astro photography. I am aware of the CA in the refractor which to me should not be a issue. The main reason for the change something quick and easy to place on my EQ mount. So which one, I am all ears. Cheers Laurie
Old 14-11-2014, 03:02 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

A 120 x 1000 refractor is a considerable size of log. Because it's so long, some viewing angles could be uncomfortable, especially near the zenith. The Mak would be lighter and more comfortable to view through.
Old 14-11-2014, 04:30 PM
CJ (Chris)

My 90mm Mak is dead easy to move in and out of the house and the eyepiece level doesn't vary too much in use. Easy to store too.
Old 14-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Having a 150x1800 Mak on that I utterly love (also on an HEQ5Pro mount) I'm obviously biased, but I think you need to consider this:

If you want to get your feet wet with imaging consider a shorter focal length scope like an ED80. Long focal lengths add demands and complexity and may not be the easiest rig to start out on. Big unwieldy tubes like a 120/1000 refractor are hard to tame beasts, too.

If you're not worried about imaging, the 6" Mak will perfectly complement your big Dob, and likely replace your 8" Newt. I haven't got a big Dob, but between my 6" Mak and my 8" Dob the Mak gets almost 100% of the observing time. The Mak is just so much more pleasant to use and look through, despite the effort of setting up the EQ mount every time I want to use it. I'm only keeping the Dob because there is little gain in selling it. Now, I should mention that I'm mostly interested in narrow-field stuff. However, with your big Dob you've got the wide field covered anyway.

Cheers
Steffen.