Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-05-2014, 10:01 PM
BlueAstra (Graham)

1st Light Canon 15x50 IS Binoculars

Last night had the first opportunity to try out my nearly new Canon 15x50 image stabilized binoculars. The stabilization takes a little getting used to, I found the best method was to point at the target, switch on the stabilization, then tweak focus. The image is steady but not rock solid. It can move very slowly, like being on a gently swaying boat, but I found if you brace yourself minimise hand movement you can get a virtually stationary target. You certainly notice the difference when you switch it off! Rather surprised there are no objective lens caps, but you do get eyepiece caps. These fit best with the eye caps folded back, bit loose when extended. You also get a basic neck strap. The batteries are supposed to last a couple of hours (alkaline), a lot longer with Lithium; better get a stock!

I wear contact lenses and have quite bad eyesight without them. I found the star images pinpoint, but could flare a bit as you moved or focussed your eye. I have noticed this before and its down to the contact lenses flexing a little in the eye. I had no problem with the eyecups extended. I had better results with my glasses, but you had to get your glasses in the right place. If you push the binos closer, your glasses move and you had to refocus a little. Plenty of eye relief for glasses with the eyecups turned back. The fold stops just above the eyepiece lens so your glasses are protected. Unfortunately the focus range is not great enough for my eyes without contacts or glasses.

I started with Saturn, and I could just make out the rings as protuberances at the side. I now did my first ever star hop, and with the aid of Sky Safari on my iPad moved north to Zubeneschamaliand then carried on to two stars under M5: 6 Ser and 5 Ser. These pointed directly at M5, and I could just make it out as a 'smudge'. I then moved right at the same altitude to see a bright Mars. I relocated in the garden to look at Jupiter and could make out at least two moons, but it was a little hazy. Then moved again to take in Vega and a very red Eltanin just above it. The main treat is this region was to swing lower into the milky way and drink in the rich star fields. All this just standing holding the binos!

Well, needless to say I am very impressed with these binoculars. The night views are great (and I haven't mentioned the spectacular daylight performance). The stabilization works very well and I don't think I would consider anything else at this mag in the future. It makes using high mag binocular possible without tripods, a true grab and go!

Graham

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0e96b65e.jpg
Old 19-05-2014, 11:22 AM
koputai (Jason)

Thanks for the report Graham.

I have the Canon 10x32 IS and absolutely love them. I don't really use them for astro (just occasionally) but use them a lot for birdwatching and planespotting, both of which they are fantastic for.

I think you'll find batteries last a lot longer than you expect. That 'couple of hours' must be for if you held then button down and kept moving. I've found with daily use a set of batteries lasts about 3 months, though if I go away I carry a spare set.

I'm considering more magnification in the future, so either the 15x50 or 18x50 are on my list. The 10x32 are excellent though, as you can carry them all day on a hike and it's not a problem.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 19-05-2014, 06:31 PM
BlueAstra (Graham)

When I was doing some research into these binos there was a view that the 10x42 L IS WP was the jewel in the crown due to its improved optics and well matched stabilization. However, I went for the 15x50 IS since I wanted a bit more magnification. I had tried both mag types (10x50, 15x50) with conventional binos in the night sky to get an idea what the FOV and mag would look like, and decided the higher magnification was what I wanted to see more detail on the Moon, etc. I've read the image stabilization struggles a bit more with the 18x50 IS, and the exit pupil is smaller, but they are the same price as the 15x50 IS so its a difficult decision since the higher mag would bring out more detail.
Old 25-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Hi Graham,
There is one thing I don't comprehend about my pair of Canon 15X50 IS - the rubber eyecups. I have to roll them back to see the entire field of view. I own 20 or so pairs of binoculars that all work fine with average eye-relief, and have several pairs with long eye relief, where I have to scroll out their eyecups so that I can use them (their in-position is for eyeglass wearers). But the fact that I have roll back the Canon's eyecups means they must have shallower eyerelief than most other binoculars.

How do you go with your eyecups?
Regards,
Renato
Old 26-05-2014, 08:56 AM
koputai (Jason)

The eyecups on the Canon 10x32 IS are not an issue, have never had to
fold them in or out, just leave them out in the normal position all the time.

Actually, I just looked at them and the eyecups are not made to fold in
or out, and they don't need to.

When I bought them, I expected them to be not so great in build quality,
or lacking in performance as they are at the cheaper end if the IS line, but
they are actually superb binoculars, much better than any I've had before.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 26-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koputai View Post
The eyecups on the Canon 10x32 IS are not an issue, have never had to
fold them in or out, just leave them out in the normal position all the time.

Actually, I just looked at them and the eyecups are not made to fold in
or out, and they don't need to.

When I bought them, I expected them to be not so great in build quality,
or lacking in performance as they are at the cheaper end if the IS line, but
they are actually superb binoculars, much better than any I've had before.

Cheers,
Jason.
Thanks Jason,
Interesting that you don't have anything odd with your eyecups - sounds like the eyerelief is standard on your pair.

I've never met anybody with any pair of Canon IS binoculars, no matter their size, who wasn't delighted with their performance.

I often wonder though, if only they came out with say 18X80s - wouldn't that be heaven for astronomers?
Regards,
Renato
Old 26-05-2014, 02:01 PM
koputai (Jason)

Quote:
I often wonder though, if only they came out with say 18X80s - wouldn't
that be heaven for astronomers?
I suppose so, but once they start getting that big, maybe you're better off
with a small scope on a tripod?

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 26-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koputai View Post
I suppose so, but once they start getting that big, maybe you're better off
with a small scope on a tripod?

Cheers,
Jason.
Hi Jason,
I actually have a pair of 18X80s which I hand hold. And I have a pair of 15X50 Pentaxs which I can only hand hold providing I have them attached to a tripod to give them some extra weight.

So I know how much better the Canon 15X50 ISs are than the Pentax 15X50s. Thus I suspect I would be really wowed by image stabilised 18X80s.

A small telescope is good. But I'm not that fond of binoviewers on telescopes, and I have two of them.

Regards,
Renato
Old 28-05-2014, 01:40 AM
BlueAstra (Graham)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post
Hi Graham,
There is one thing I don't comprehend about my pair of Canon 15X50 IS - the rubber eyecups. I have to roll them back to see the entire field of view. I own 20 or so pairs of binoculars that all work fine with average eye-relief, and have several pairs with long eye relief, where I have to scroll out their eyecups so that I can use them (their in-position is for eyeglass wearers). But the fact that I have roll back the Canon's eyecups means they must have shallower eyerelief than most other binoculars.

How do you go with your eyecups?
Regards,
Renato
Actually, I don't seem to have a problem with them. With my contacts in I can move my head into the correct full field position my pressing gently against the eyecups. With glasses I roll the eyecups back and rest the cups against the glasses. This works but can require a focus change if you press too hard and move the glasses.

Graham
Old 28-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAstra View Post
Actually, I don't seem to have a problem with them. With my contacts in I can move my head into the correct full field position my pressing gently against the eyecups. With glasses I roll the eyecups back and rest the cups against the glasses. This works but can require a focus change if you press too hard and move the glasses.

Graham
Thanks. Your's seem to have more eyerelief than mine.

I wonder what goes on?
Cheers,
Renato