Old 29-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Help! Long Eposures on Canon 300D

Been trying to get a longer exposure than 30 secs on my 300D. Setup is:
Canon 300D connected to laptop with standard USB cable, DSUSB connected to camera remote trigger port and USB on laptop. Using DSLRFocus V3.04. Cam set to Manual and lens ditto.
Can get normal 30sec exposures in focus or short exposure mode. If I try long exposures of 30secs+ camera shutter does not trigger (LED on DSUSB stays red) although the program carries on as though it does.
Have tried it with DSLRShutter and it does work, although in a wierd fashion, shutter opens and shuts every 10 secs or so during the sequence so I end up with half a dozen short images instead of one long one. Seems like there's a comms problem between the camera and program. Am I doing something wrong or do I need an updated version.

Bill
Old 29-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Bill, you do have the exposure set to Bulb mode on the camera havn't you...?????
Old 29-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Its set to M on the dial, I take it thats bulb mode ? Still learning to drive it
Says bulb on the LCD display.
Old 29-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Found the cure. Early versions didn't support DSUSB, updated and working OK.
Old 29-08-2008, 08:24 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

when you are in M (manual) mode, you still need to rotate the camera adjustment wheel to change the shutter speed, go all the way to 30sec, and one more click lands you on Bulb mode... bulb mode can sustain exposures upwards of 10 minutes...
Old 30-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Sharnbrook (Mike)

Whilst it is correct to say that you can have exposures upwards of 10 minutes, I think you will find that anything in excess of 30 secs has to be done manually, and cannot be done via the computer if you are using Canon software. It may be possible with other software.
Old 30-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Thanks guys , I had it set in bulb mode on the speed wheel (by accident). Had forgotten about the shutter speed adjustment. One more thing to remember. Using DSLR Focus 3.3 now and working ok. Not that I'll be doing much for a day or two, been cloudy since last night and now raining.

Bill
Old 31-08-2008, 05:50 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenhuon View Post
Thanks guys , I had it set in bulb mode on the speed wheel (by accident). Had forgotten about the shutter speed adjustment. One more thing to remember. Using DSLR Focus 3.3 now and working ok. Not that I'll be doing much for a day or two, been cloudy since last night and now raining.

Bill
I wish I could say the same with my 300D

John G spent a heck of a lot of time trying to sort my 300D out but it worked on the table and failed under the stars