Old 01-10-2017, 01:47 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

LRGB Processing ?

With the order of a mono camera pending thought I'd better figure out how this LRGB processing works. Otherwise you're going to see a lot of grey images from this side of the ditch.

Found an Adobe tutorial and went through it. Finally managed to make it work on their example so I split the channels out of one of my earlier M42 images and tried to put it back together without much success. The process is quite complicated unless I am missing some clever trick. Is there an easy step through system that either simplifies the process or an automatic process in some obscure software that I am unaware of.
I am using CS2 which certainly has the tools but there are other options I presume.
Kept me busy for a wet afternoon anyway ..
Old 01-10-2017, 02:16 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Brent,
The mono camera (which one?) is normally used with an acquisition software.
I use AstroArt.
This allows you to do all the necessary pre-processing - darks, flats etc. and will also control your filter wheel.
Processing and combining the LRGB images can be as automated as you want or as manual as you want....
I'd suggest downloading the trial version.....
http://www.msb-astroart.com/
Old 01-10-2017, 03:47 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

ZWO ASI 1600mm-c Ken. I've got a few weeks wait for it to arrive so thought I'd better get my head around it. Actually looking at the latest version of SharpCap to manage acquisition, filter wheel etc.
Astroart looks good if a little complicated and expensive. I've blown my budget by upping the hardware buy above my original intention with Ha filter. Might have to do some work arounds at least temporarily.

OK, found the issue. Photoshop's native file type, psd is not good for handling layer to channel build. PNG works well. And I now have a better understanding of what I am doing and how it all works.

Last edited by ZeroID; 01-10-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:57 PM
glend (Glen)

The 1600 produces grey scale FIT files, after registering and stacking, you will need to convert the file to RGB for colourisation of the layers. There are several good online tutotials that show how to do it in Photoshop. Basically you clip a layer onto a base layer, each layer is colored in one of the primary colours usually. You can add any number of tools to each layer.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:01 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

There's a lot of good press around - the ASI1600 seems to perform very well.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the challenge.....
Old 01-10-2017, 04:59 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Nup, found an easy as solution. Paint Shop Pro 9 has got a Channel Combine tool. Open the 3 greyscale images, select the tool under Images heading, and then each image, press the go button, Done ! In a few seconds.
And a similar Channel Split tool ,,,,