Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Old 25-10-2017, 02:42 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Your favourite time for viewing the Moon.

I notice that when the "Current Moon" is around 62%, I can see the Alpine Valley and the Moon itself looks splendid.

I have been trying to push myself to do the reverse, view it when the Waning Crescent is around 60%, but generally fail to have the enthusiasm to get out of bed when the moment arrives.

Have You a favourite time? (I suppose the obvious answer is when the clouds are not in the way!)
Old 25-10-2017, 03:10 PM
grimsay (Iain)

Waxing crescent (90% or less).

Different kind of observing. I like to head out for a run just before sunrise. Nothing beats seeing the moon, Venus and, if I'm lucky, Mercury together just as the sun comes up. Put's everything in perspective.
Old 26-10-2017, 09:24 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimsay View Post

Different kind of observing. I like to head out for a run just before sunrise. Nothing beats seeing the moon, Venus and, if I'm lucky, Mercury together just as the sun comes up. Put's everything in perspective.
I know what U mean.

It is a grand sight when the Moon & Venus (or Jupiter) are together in the Morning sky near the Pleiades. It looks primeval; I reflect on how people in previous time would have enjoyed similar sights.
Old 26-10-2017, 06:18 PM
Wavytone

my favourite times are (a) a moon a few days old, early evening when you can see the earthshine, and (b) total lunar eclipses.
Old 26-10-2017, 10:41 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

I really like lunar observing and imaging for the few days before full to 3/4 days after full moon. That way, with the help of favourable east or westerly librations it is possible to see stuff that is normally close to the limb, rather than the usual suspects near the centre of the disc, though I still like looking at them as well.
Old 27-10-2017, 01:26 PM
pgc hunter

Probably between 20-90% illumination.
Old 27-10-2017, 08:49 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I have just been looking and it is very impressive now (with 45% illumination). There are lots of Rilles to see near the terminator and the Alpine Valley is just visible, although its floor is not illuminated.
Old 28-10-2017, 12:05 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Surprise, the clouds have cleared away and have just been having a look at lunar, the terminator was perfectly placed to see the Lunar X formed by the rims of the craters Blanchinus, La Caille and Purbach, along the terminator south and just east of Arzachel . That plus the Alpine Rift and Rima Hyginus were a fine sight, though the seeing wasn't the steadiest and the moon was getting a bit low.
Old 29-10-2017, 03:18 PM
astro744

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimsay View Post

Ok you've got my head in a spin here. I'm trying to picture what 90% waxing crescent looks like. If the moon is waxing it is in that part of the cycle between new moon and full moon. 90% waxing is near full moon and the moon then rises just before sunset. It is not a crescent at 90% waxing. To see a 90% waxing moon in the morning means the moon will likely be setting a couple of hours before sunrise. Haven't done the maths but a full moon is setting as the sun is rising. Now a 90% waning moon sets a little after sunrise. Either way the moon is on the other side of the sky as the sun and cannot be near any inferior planets such as Venus or Mercury.

A 10% waxing crescent moon can be near Venus and Mercury at sunset if they too are evening objects and set after the sun or a 10% waning moon can be near Venus or Mercury in the morning sky before sunrise if the two planets are rising before the sun. I just want to clarify things and to clear my head as I think it through. Have fun with the moon as it is a great target.
Old 29-10-2017, 04:23 PM
glend (Glen)

My favourite time is the New Moon, when i can't see it at all. There is nothing new to look at there, and its luminance floods the sky, ruining access to more interesting things.
Old 29-10-2017, 09:26 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
I notice that when the "Current Moon" is around 62%, I can see the Alpine Valley and the Moon itself looks splendid.

I have been trying to push myself to do the reverse, view it when the Waning Crescent is around 60%, but generally fail to have the enthusiasm to get out of bed when the moment arrives.

Have You a favourite time? (I suppose the obvious answer is when the clouds are not in the way!)
Only when it's cloudy, raining or very windy, otherwise it can well pi$# off!

Although on those few occasions where I wanted to image it, I find the full moon is good to get as the whole thing does look cool, and I like it when it's very thin as well for the mountains etc.

Cheers,

Damien.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:22 AM
DeepSkyBagger (Patrick)
Astro Pom

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
My favourite time is the New Moon, when i can't see it at all. There is nothing new to look at there, and its luminance floods the sky, ruining access to more interesting things.
I'm with you there!
Not a Moon fan.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Nothing like a bit of pushback or counter-opinion! Fair enough, I can appreciate what U are saying.
However, I take what I can get, and if the Moon, and better still, some bright planets are around, I will have a look. I commence viewing during the twilight and all too often have clouds roll over before it is fully dark, so rather than being either/or; it is the Moon or nothing.

Nevertheless, my interest in Astronomy developed as a child in the 60s when the race to the Moon was in full swing, so I have been swayed by those times.

My most memorable viewing of the Moon was in December 1972. It was the only time I have observed the Moon knowing that men were there as I viewed. (Apollo 17.) It was an uniquely strange and awesome feeling!
Old 03-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

As a visual observer I used to bemoan the gradual increase in moonlight blocking out my plans for other targets. But, not any more. With a better appreciation of the rich diversity of targets on offer on the Moon, the geology that can be deduced, the ever changing vista as the sun rises and set on the Moon, librations etc, I have come to realise there is a lot of reward in observing the Moon. And, as they say, “every view is different depending on minute differences in the Sun’s angle and the shadows that are cast”. The Moon now has a more deliberate part in my observing activities and plans. I am finding Charle Woods’ Lunar 100 challenge a useful exercise in getting to know my way around the Moon.

Participating in the recent International Observe the Moon day certainly reminded me of how richly diverse the topography appears either side of first and third quarters. However, I don’t think I have a favourite phase for viewing the Moon. The changing appearance is just as interesting to me. If the Moon is visible and I am out observing then I will generally observe it first (to hell with leaving bright objects to last to help with dark adaption) and then re-vist every hour to watch the changing vista as the Sun is rising (or setting) across the surface. I have seen some quite amazing animations doing this over the years.