Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-01-2017, 02:51 PM
Maru (Alessandro)

12" Dobson Collapsible Skyscan Precision

Hi! I just bought a 12" Dobson collapsible with Goto. Since on my previous telescope I didn't have a motor drive I am kind of exploring the way that Skyscan works. First time that I put it up I didn't have much time so I didn't bother to level and after the 2 star alignment process the accuracy in pointing was not very good. the second time I tried, I leveled it (with Iphone) and the accuracy improved a lot but the objects were still not right in the centre of the eyepiece. Since I don't have experience with automatic pointing I wanted to know what degree of accuracy I should expect..I mean, should I bother leveling with a better tool than an iphone or this is the maximum precision I can expect? (Objects are within the finder view almost at the center of it, but quite far from the center of the eyepiece with a 25mm eyepiece).
Also, after the successful alignment message it came up the "the previous npe is applied" message. Could that influence the accuracy?
Thanks for your help guys
Cheers