ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 26-05-2017, 07:00 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Phil,
I think the majority of NBN users will use wireless phones rather than incurring the costs (local techie?) of wiring the modem back into the house telephone system.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:43 PM
Exfso (Peter)

I got switched 2 days ago, pretty happy with speeds. I opted for 100/40 and getting 95/38 even in peak times. I am around 200m from the node. Bit different to what I was getting on ADSL 5/0.8
Old 13-06-2017, 06:46 PM
Exfso (Peter)

I knew it was too good to be true, now dropping to 8Mbps during peak times. Good old IINet not getting enough bandwidth..
Old 13-06-2017, 07:11 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Complain. The only way they will get more bandwidth is if people complain.
Or if they do nothing change your ISP. My ADSL was crawling down to 100Kbs at peak ties and changing to iiNet got it up to 24Mbs (live 100m from the exchange so I get almost the theoretical limits).
Old 13-06-2017, 09:43 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Trust me Luka, I have sent a rocket their way. They want to talk to me about this via phone with the prospect of fixing it. Not holding my breath that is for sure. They really are full of crap. If you look on the whirlpool forums about IINet and their shady practices and failure to fix issues, it will scare you.

Last edited by RB; 14-06-2017 at 07:07 AM. Reason: profanity deleted
Old 13-06-2017, 11:10 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Going with iinet instead of Optus actually fixed my problems, it all depends where you are.

Unfortunately the sad reality is that iinet is not the only shady ISP. Some are better, some are worse but all of them are in it to make money and don't care if your connection sucks and will try to get away with excuses and lies
Old 14-06-2017, 12:11 AM
raymo

I have been with Westnet for years, and they have been very good indeed,
you even get a quick response and a native English speaker when you
call them. They were brought out by iinet a couple of years ago, and
everything has stayed good. It'll be interesting to see how I go when I switch over to NBN shortly.
raymo
Old 14-06-2017, 09:49 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Just be aware of who provides your backhaul. In a stunning piece of industry crippling goodness, when all of this stuff was being planned the ACCC forced the network to have 120 odd POIs (Point Of Interconnect, basically where your traffic is taken out of the NBN and into your own service providers network) rather than the 14 originally planned.

What this actually means in practice is that to deliver services nationally, an RSP has to build or buy backhaul to all 120 odd POIs, obviously building fibre to 120 sites scattered around the continent would be crushingly costly so there is a very large market for backhaul from those players who actually have fibre networks extensive enough to hit them all without going broke.

Let's just say that some are better than others and peak time congestion on services that don't have contested capacity issues like the fixed wireless is a fair indication that either your RSP has not bought enough CVC or has not bought enough backhaul, or both.

the upshot is iinet is owned by TPG who have an extensive backhaul network, if that is not up to snuff to your POI and your next RSP is leasing backhaul from TPG then they will have a crunch in peak time as well, even if they have enough CVC on the NBN side.

My own RSP is in the middle of buying/building their own backhaul network via dedicated leased services from Telstra precisely to get out of contested backhaul pipes that were crunching their reputation even if they bought plenty of CVC off NBN Co. The providers they were previously going with are gaining a less than stellar reputation in NBN land (I am not going to name them but they are big national players)