Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 15-05-2017, 05:30 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Countdown has started

Rocket Labs has announced a 10 day launch window starting May 22.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11855871

OboyOboyOboyOboy.....!!!
Old 15-05-2017, 05:36 AM
glend (Glen)

Had not heard of this before Brent. Good luck to NZ, especially the part about rain could delay the launch. 3D printing a rocket engine eh?
Old 15-05-2017, 06:00 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Very cool.... a novel use for 3D printing that's for sure.
Old 15-05-2017, 06:35 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Ye gads, NZ is gonna nuke us!
Old 17-05-2017, 11:40 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Ye gads, NZ is gonna nuke us!
Start digging Lewis, get ya bunker ready...

Old 17-05-2017, 01:44 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Awesome!
Hope it all goes to plan

Interesting that it will be the first ever orbital launch from a private launch facility... that's pretty cool!

Some more info here: http://spacenews.com/rocket-lab-sets...ectron-launch/
and here: https://twitter.com/RocketLabUSA
Old 17-05-2017, 11:39 PM
Wavytone

It says the altitude of an airliner. That's just 10 km. A long way to go to get into orbit. And the choice of site suggests they don't understand much about the dynamics of getting it up there - there is s huge advantage to being near the equator and NZ is hopelessly too far south.

That and the whole approach to testing and launch reads rather amateurish to me - from a serious engineering background. As the Norks have also shown, this is far from trivial to get right.

Most likely it won't get off launch or if it does, will go kerplunk into the ocean rather prematurely.

Hope they have a reliable self-destruct button, they'll need it.
Old 18-05-2017, 08:50 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

People should actually read before posting, its below "amateurish". Nowhere does it say or imply it is aiming to stop or orbit at the cruising airline altitude. Its made quite clear this is a first launch and may not even occur as changes are made and when it does its a FIRST test run. Bloody good on them I say! The aussie "have a go" attitude seems to be replaced with " have a whinge at others for having a go" instead. Not like Australia will bother to get involved in launches or supporting such endeavours.

Can't wait for the immortal words "The Kiwi has landed".
Old 18-05-2017, 08:57 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
It says the altitude of an airliner. That's just 10 km. A long way to go to get into orbit. And the choice of site suggests they don't understand much about the dynamics of getting it up there - there is s huge advantage to being near the equator and NZ is hopelessly too far south.

That and the whole approach to testing and launch reads rather amateurish to me - from a serious engineering background. As the Norks have also shown, this is far from trivial to get right.

Most likely it won't get off launch or if it does, will go kerplunk into the ocean rather prematurely.

Hope they have a reliable self-destruct button, they'll need it.
Yup, don't remember the last rocket launch from Killara, amateurish or otherwise.

I interpreted the article to say it will initially have slow acceleration, but then clear to "airliner cruising height" in under a minute (considering Wavy's 10km is 32,000ft give or take). Article did not mention this was a target height or a limit, merely a marker for the lay-man (like when media use football fields as some standard of size). Even if it goes sub or low orbital, it's better than what Australia's done since Blue Streak...oh, hang on that was the Poms... better since our last HAB.

Shame on Australia, GO THE KIWI!

Anyone remember the Cape York rocket project, that of course never eventuated?
Old 18-05-2017, 10:46 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post

The intended orbit is clearly stated as an having an apoapsis of 500km, a periapsis of 300km, with an inclination of 83 degrees.
This is consistent with their business plan of launching small payloads to a sun-synchronous orbit. Also given that polar or sun-sync orbits are their intended destination, they would gain nothing from being near the equator - in fact for a SSO, which is usually slightly retrograde, an equatorial launch would require more energy than a launch from NZ.

Not sure why the skepticism? Sure rocket engineering is hard, as has been proved repeatedly with every rocket program in history - but the Electron is a good design, the engines have been successfully test fired, and the rocket has completed a full wet rehearsal. Machines like this don't make it off the drawing board without being well scrutinised.

This isn't a bunch of hacks working out of a shed, it's an international company staffed by competent engineers and I don't see any reason why they won't succeed.

Last edited by pluto; 18-05-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 18-05-2017, 12:43 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Their original 'sounding' test rocket launch, launched from Mercury Island up here near Auckland reached 64 km a few years ago.
They are backed by NASA and a couple of very big venture capital groups and are already contracted to Moon Express to deliver one of the attempts by private companies to land a rover on the moon.

Yep, pretty amateurish I guess ....

Fingers crossed it all goes well for the first launch .....
Old 18-05-2017, 02:01 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

So how far away do you guys think it might be visible (the launch)? Wonder if any aussies on the coast will be able to see/photo the launch? I'm sure someone here has a formula (thrust pounds -> vis mag per km^2 or something. More importantly will it be strapped to a robin reliant?
Old 18-05-2017, 02:04 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Yup, don't remember the last rocket launch from Killara, amateurish or otherwise.
I remember a burning abandoned car when I lived in Montah Ave, Not even a tyre launched into the air from that. Maybe it was a failed test flight?
Old 18-05-2017, 09:26 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
So how far away do you guys think it might be visible (the launch)? Wonder if any aussies on the coast will be able to see/photo the launch?
It's launching toward the east (a bit), and I assume over the ocean, so going away from Oz.
They've said the launch won't be visible from any publically accessible areas anyway, though I guess it depends on the colour of the Robin

Last edited by pluto; 18-05-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 19-05-2017, 12:13 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

SE I think, seaward for sure. They are on the very end of the Peninsula with zero local population nearby so very safe if anything should go wrong, unlikely.

sil > I think the curvature of the earth might get in the way a bit.

If the air was clear you might just be able to see the trail with binoculars or scope from the NI mainland but you might have to wait for a while.
Old 19-05-2017, 01:05 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
SE I think, seaward for sure. They are on the very end of the Peninsula with zero local population nearby so very safe if anything should go wrong, unlikely.

sil > I think the curvature of the earth might get in the way a bit.

If the air was clear you might just be able to see the trail with binoculars or scope from the NI mainland but you might have to wait for a while.
Blasphemer - the Earth is flat remember. So, Sil should see it from his home
Old 19-05-2017, 05:49 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Blasphemer - the Earth is flat remember. So, Sil should see it from his home
But he will need curved binoculars ...

I can't blaspheme, I'm a Jedi ..
Old 20-05-2017, 01:34 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
People should actually read before posting, its below "amateurish". Nowhere does it say or imply it is aiming to stop or orbit at the cruising airline altitude. Its made quite clear this is a first launch and may not even occur as changes are made and when it does its a FIRST test run. Bloody good on them I say! The aussie "have a go" attitude seems to be replaced with " have a whinge at others for having a go" instead. Not like Australia will bother to get involved in launches or supporting such endeavours.

Can't wait for the immortal words "The Kiwi has landed".
I totally agree. Will we ever have a space program in Australia? Kiwis already have it...http://www.mbie.govt.nz/info-service...gency/about-us

Let's not despair though, there is still one more OECD country (out of 35) that does not have a space program...
Old 20-05-2017, 04:24 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

We have the space and area to do it, but we can't even get a train to run on time. Good luck to the kiwi's (they'll shame Kim Il Jong too!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Slim-pickens_riding-the-bomb_enh-lores.jpg)
52.0 KB46 views
Old 20-05-2017, 06:08 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Waiting to go ....

Pic of the Electron hanging on the launch tower ( lowered ).

(btw, no robins were harmed in the manufacture of this rocket )
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Electron.jpg)
26.9 KB23 views