Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-05-2017, 11:15 AM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

I was in Tamworth on Saturday at a sporting event for my daughter so went to ALDI to try to buy one. They told me they sold out in 5 minutes.
I came home to Armidale late Sat night so didn't hold out much hope of getting one at our local store. Went there Sunday morning and they still had 2 left so I got one.
Tried last night to print a simple object and it worked beautifully.
Old 16-05-2017, 04:17 PM
netwolf

Very lucky Terry. I am sure there will be some around the place.

Bojan very cool with the masks and other bits and that's a really nice solid design , I have been watching some YouTube video by Tech21 Aussie bloke who has designed a system very similar to that called the Hypercube quite a few people have replicated it and or scaled it up. Seems to run quiet well and fairly silent. He has done some redesign with the x axis roads and movement. I think he is now going to use carbon fibre rods, as the coating on his aluminium roads was being worn down by the brass (not really brass) bushings. There is also the Voron design few people at over lockers have built both and they have similarities in the cube shape. i guess it's more ridigid as a cube design.

What is your slide mechanism for the x axis? Are your running 8bit?

The unit you linked I also saw at hobbyking site but seems a a bit overpriced.
Old 16-05-2017, 04:29 PM
garymck (Gary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
This looks like the same material used for packing pellets (they look like styrofoam but they are not) .. it is also edible.
How does it behave in humid environment?
Bojan,
haven't had any issues as yet - have a couple of telescope bits made from it that have lived in a tin shed obs for 6 months with no issues. It gives a better finish than standard PLA, but is printed 10-15deg c hotter than standard PLA.
Appears much stronger, with better layer bonds. I have even done some RC airplane stuff with it...Only reason I can see to use ABS would be if you needed to do a super finish in an acetone fog....

chers
Gary
Old 16-05-2017, 05:15 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymck View Post
...Only reason I can see to use ABS would be if you needed to do a super finish in an acetone fog....
Aha, does it mean it can't be glued with acetone?
I am always doing more complicated designs in separate farts, which I glue with acetone to assemble them.
Old 16-05-2017, 06:07 PM
aprilstorm (April)

ALDI Printer is ok but there are better for the price

The ALDI printers are ok, nothing flash, but for those who miss out on these or just dont trust electronic equipment from ALDI. I can highly recommend others which in my opinion are significantly better machines for the same price or even cheaper.

There is a printer listed on ALIExpress as a Prusa i4 by Sunhokey. its not in fact a prusa, but it is pretty good for the money. Uses Hiwin rails as apposed to rods so the prints are very smooth at high speeds and comes with a 24v heatbed. I have 4 of them I use for my 3d printing business. you can usually get them shipped for less than $500.

If your after a really good Australian made and supported 3D printer. You cant go past the new Wombot 3D printers, I have a few of those too. Highly recommended. www.wombot.com.au

April
Old 16-05-2017, 06:39 PM
netwolf

Thanks April

Is this the one you meant
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-...pp_365443.html

Also what material do you print in on these printers?
Old 16-05-2017, 07:05 PM
netwolf

BTW the Wombot Exilis frame looks like the CR-10 , I like the external power pack 24v and the small footprint LCD screen is really good. But wonder how much better this is than the CR-10 am waiting for 3d Nerd to review the CR-10 as he has done the Wombot. All other reviews of this CR-10 are very good but the big question is longer term reliability , looks like Tiny Machines in US are also buying them in bulk and selling spares for these also which is good.

Found this also on the Prussa I4 Gearbest is out of stock and the only other place selling it seems to have a bad wrap on this linked forum. Its the same price as the CR-10.
http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,666165
Old 17-05-2017, 09:09 AM
aprilstorm (April)

yeah thats the one, but you can get it direct from the manufacturer around the same price on aliexpress. There is also a facebook group of "fans" who support each other and many people mod their machines (as do i)

my only complaint has been the 24v power supply is comes with is a bit naff, I have blown up a few, but thats mainly because I run then 24/7 driving the heatbed at 110c because i mainly print in ABS. However for a small additional fee you can ask for a "meanwell" power supply to be installed (these are much more reliable)

Although i have started using PETG for some things as it has less shrinkage and still pretty strong as long as you dont overcook it.

ABS was designed to shrink which is why its not really a great material for a 3d printer but is cheap and common so many people including myself use it. I go through 20 kilos of the stuff a week so price is important.

The big thing with the wombot is local support. If your a pro you probably dont need this. If your a beginner and need support, being able to pick up the phone and ring someone who can help is really important.

Also the wombot CETO which is his new model looks really good. I have two of those on the way to replace some of my older printers which are getting close to 4 years and a bit worn out.

Hope that helps

April
Old 17-05-2017, 10:33 AM
netwolf

Thanks April yes joined the FB group for this one. Did you asssemble yours ? Or buy it assembled? I assume for ABS you have some kind of enclosure for it. From FB and AE seems very popular with the Russians market.
Old 17-05-2017, 11:11 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

just checked gumtree, 1 guy in VIC has the aldi printer for $650 [in hot demand he says] & a guy in SA has it for $750..nice markups
Old 17-05-2017, 11:13 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
just checked gumtree, 1 guy in VIC has the aldi printer for $650 [in hot demand he says] & a guy in SA has it for $750..nice markups
That is.... market? I don't want to be rude ...

Luckily, and thanks to China, it is still possible to assemble contraption like this for reasonable price, for amateur use (one only have to put some additional effort into it and learn something at the same time)
Old 17-05-2017, 11:20 AM
netwolf

If You really want one Amazon has them under a different name , u can even get a used unit for about 330usd shipped. I think new is only slightly more.
Old 17-05-2017, 12:02 PM
aprilstorm (April)

to be honest, the aldi and the Sunhokey i4 are small enough you dont really need an enclosure for printing ABS as long as you know what your doing and have the correct settings. I have never had any issues printing ABS on a 20x20x20cm printer. Just use a raft, over extrude, and set a higher temp than normal and you remove many of the issues
Old 17-05-2017, 12:07 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

can i ask for the DIY units -what upgrades do users usually install?
Old 17-05-2017, 12:18 PM
garymck (Gary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Aha, does it mean it can't be glued with acetone?
I am always doing more complicated designs in separate farts, which I glue with acetone to assemble them.
I use cyano without issues

cheers
Gary
Old 17-05-2017, 12:23 PM
garymck (Gary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
can i ask for the DIY units -what upgrades do users usually install?

I have made a couple of mods to mine:

Z braces:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1549403

Micros Swiss hot end (gets rid of ptfe tube, prints hotter/better:
https://store.micro-swiss.com/produc...tal-hotend-kit

Replaced 3 bearings under the build plate with better quality/longer versions

cheers
Gary
Old 17-05-2017, 12:37 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

sweet thanks gary
Old 19-05-2017, 12:13 AM
netwolf

Gary what brand PLA+ Are you using and can u share a source?
Old 19-05-2017, 07:59 AM
garymck (Gary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
Gary what brand PLA+ Are you using and can u share a source?
https://www.cubictech.com.au/products/pla-filament-1-75

cheers
Gary
Old 19-05-2017, 09:15 AM
iborg (Philip)

Hi Netwolf
Thanks for asking that question.

Hi Gary
Thanks for answering.

I have just started modifying a chemistry synthesiser to be a 3D printer.

If I can it up and running, build area should be something like 1100 x 250 x 200mm.

Philip