Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.00 average.
Old 20-04-2017, 10:10 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

What do you do with your Astro photos?

Just wanted to get an idea on what everywhere here does with their photos. Some things I have seen include:

- Posting them on their own website/blog
- Show them here on the forums
- Sell them (example, print on glossy paper)
- Post on Astrobin

Usually after I process my images I will show them on the forums and then they will sit in a folder on my computer.

Would like to put them to use or show the hard work that everyone does somehow!
Old 20-04-2017, 10:21 AM
JA

Hello Stefan,

You could print and frame them for home or try an electronic LCD photoframe which could then auto-scroll through your works.

Best
JA
Old 20-04-2017, 12:22 PM
kittenshark (Cheryl-Ann Tan)

Mostly? I end up leaving them unprocessed hidden in some folder on my hard disk, or even in my SD card... for years

OK, occasionally when they do get processed I just keep them on my facebook to share with friends. I've got a photo printer so I've printed the occasional one to show off. Laminated some to use as hand-outs for outreach sessions. Lots of cheap Ikea frames you could use as well.

I have gotten some custom merchandise done (not with astro photos) with my artwork at CafePress. Perhaps that might be an idea? A mug? Bag? Shirts? Lots of printing places that will print anything on anything.
Old 20-04-2017, 01:59 PM
leon

For all the good stuff I print them and produce a book mainly for my personal use and to be shown to anyone interested.

Other than that they sit one my Desk Top with an External hard drive copy as well.

Leon
Old 20-04-2017, 02:11 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
For all the good stuff I print them and produce a book mainly for my personal use and to be shown to anyone interested.

Other than that they sit one my Desk Top with an External hard drive copy as well.

Leon
That's a pretty good idea!

I might start doing that actually. It's a quick way to see what has been done!
Old 28-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Hi Stefan,

I second Leon's idea of making up your own books.

You can buy simple home binding gear for as little as $70 or so at Officeworks. I bought one of these and it does fine for A4 and A5 books. Take the claims of punching 8 pages at a time with a pinch of salt (4 is more comfortable), but it does an OK job. I've done heaps of booklets with mine.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...ta8c#!features

The truth is that in today's world we're deluged with photos of every description - everybody with a phone has pictures to share. the challenge isn't so much taking pictures, it's finding somebody to view them! A Facebook page for your astropics is always an option, but your own little books would make good presents, as well as being handy logs for your own future reference. Add a bit of information about the gear, date, and settings you used for each photo (although maybe not too much in the gift versions!..) and some chat about the target in the images, and I reckon you'd find that even non star-freaks might enjoy them.

Cheers,

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Booklet 02 copy.jpg)
34.4 KB41 views

Last edited by Nebulous; 28-04-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:19 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I have a small portfolio of my best ones on my ipad. Astrobin too, some I stick on facebook (lores jpgs), others I print and mount on foamcore to have at home or at work.

Mostly I do it for myself, the enjoyment of learning and improving the process to get the best I can from my captures. I dont care about impressing others so I dont often post any online, astrobin is just an online portfolio for anyone interested in my shots, its handy also to see improvements there too as I usually leave the old stuff in place. So I can compare and compete against myself. Also for others using similar odd/limiting gear to see whats possible. There are amazing shots out there from people with far better skills and gear than me and I dont size my shots against theirs, I only try to get the most from what I have and I find it astounding at how much can be done with my limitations. I try to offer advice here where I can and hope some people better their photos as a result.

I looked at the idea of doing books a few years back but I don't think i produce enough good photos to make it worthwhile. every time I look at and old photo I see ways I can improve it with my current knowledge and start tinkering.

I was able to contribute to a German project with the last Venus transit which I loved and hope to be able to help contribute to the sum of human knowledge in the future if the opportunity arises not just the Zooniverse citizen science projects.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:12 AM
astro_nutt

The best ones are made into 8"x 10" frames and put on the mantelpiece. I also have a small album which holds multiple 4"x 6" copies which I hand out to anyone who is interested. One day I might make up a proper album when I gain some more experience.
Old 19-05-2017, 07:51 PM
seedy (Chris)

I am afraid that mine are still sitting in folders on my computer. It may be time to think about sharing some. Thanks for the ideas
Old 20-05-2017, 09:44 AM
leon

Stefan, did you know office works will hard cover your photo books while you wait, that is where i get mine done.
I print all my photos on double sided good quality photo paper, about 40 pages to a book is probably maximum.
Then i take my pages to Office Works and ask them to cover them in my colour choice, I think there about 4 different colours to choose from.

However the covers come in a set of two obviously a back and a front, but the front one of this set a has a rectangular cut out in it which i didn't really like.
So for each book i purchase two sets of covers so that they are both the same, the price is about $24.00 dollars for both sets and that includes the binding.
Check them out it is a pretty good deal and they look very professional.

Leon
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_6393.jpg)
168.0 KB15 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_6394.jpg)
94.2 KB14 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_6395.jpg)
122.0 KB15 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_6396.jpg)
126.8 KB12 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_6397.jpg)
168.1 KB12 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_6398.jpg)
174.0 KB11 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_6399.jpg)
173.3 KB11 views
Old 20-05-2017, 04:44 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I delete mine - none are worth sharing or saving
Old 20-05-2017, 07:32 PM
leon

You are of coarse joking Lewis, I have seen some of your photography and it is certainly worth keeping.

Leon
Old 22-05-2017, 02:25 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Any new photos go up on my FB astronomy page.
If I feel they're an improvement on previous work, I'll get them printed up for sale as matted prints (ready for framing) or small cards which I sell through our local art gallery. Older prints I'll give away to kids who show an interest in space and astronomy.
For a bit of fun I enter some into competitions.