Old 15-04-2017, 04:42 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Regor .. Named by gus grissom

This lovely green/white orb mag 1.7 , with a superb to me blue/ white 4th-magnitude companion about 41" to its southwest. About 1' southeast, like a right angle to the main pair, is a second double. The brighter of its stars is magnitude 7.3 with 9.4-magnitude companion
Know as GAMMA VELORUM it can easily be found as the first bright star westward of the SHORTEST ARM OF THE FALSE CROSS.

Regor was named as such by American astronaut Gus Grissom. The star was used to help him navigate. Gus Grissom nicknamed the star Regor after fellow astronaut Roger Chaffee ..Roger spelt backwards ..they sadly were killed along with Edward White II on Jan 27th 1967 in that horrible disaster..so utterly saddening.
So when you might look up at this incredible multiple system , remember them!

PS: This surely is one of the best objects to view in the night sky , and nearby Clusters..even in binoculars!!

bigjoe

Last edited by bigjoe; 15-04-2017 at 06:00 PM. Reason: adding spacing caps adding change
Old 15-04-2017, 05:30 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Thanks Joe. Will have a look next time I've got my scope out. I've neglected doubles over the years. I saved a thread with a good doubles list just recently. Now just need clear skies. Cheers Richard
Old 15-04-2017, 05:50 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
Thanks Joe. Will have a look next time I've got my scope out. I've neglected doubles over the years. I saved a thread with a good doubles list just recently. Now just need clear skies. Cheers Richard

Good on you Richard.

REGOR A is actually the only star that DAVID MALIN says is an exception to the rule of NO Stars are greenish!!@

Along with Beta Monocerotis an amazing multiple !

Look at them basically as a supplement to whatever else your viewing.. Most Binaries are great especially if you only have say a 60mm scope. Fun to split them and test your optics!
Cheers bigjoe.
Old 15-04-2017, 05:58 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

re doubles

Richard ..Don't forget to use that wonderful zoom first!

bigjoe.
Old 15-04-2017, 06:03 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

No worries Joe. Nowadays I hardly use anything else. It's just easier. Love it. Cheers Richard