Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-03-2017, 10:23 PM
starkid (Tom)

2" 27mm+ Eyepiece for 10" F/4.7 Dob?

I know there are a few similar threads floating around but most seem for slower scopes so I thought id start my own.

I am relatively new to astronomy and have been slowly adding to my eyepiece collection. I am now looking for something that will show me a minimum of 1.5° (pref 1.7°+) of sky as a spotter, sky scanner and to enjoy some of the larger sights out there to their full extent ideally without having to buy a paracorr.

I have done a lot of reading since getting the scope a year or so ago and
currently have 13mm & 17mm Vixen LVW's i picked up used in the classifieds which i love dearly. I also own a 10mm Pentax XW which is also awesome but for me its much harder to get eye placement perfect so i tend to go for the Vixens more. I have been meaning to spend some more time with the Pentax to try and become more accustomed to it and had planned to order a 7mm XW or 2.5 powermate when i was ready.

I had planned to keep my collection to 5 eyepieces and a powermate for practicality however i just picked up 3 more LVW's 5mm, 8mm & 22mm new for less each than i paid for the used ones which i obviously couldn't resist so my plans have changed a little. Ramble ramble ramble, sorry.

Anyway below is a chart of what i have in green and the options i am considering for a 2". I had wanted a 26mm nagler but ill struggle with that now they are discontinued. I did find a store OS with stock but it will cost 1k to get it here so i'm no longer convinced. I am in no rush and am happy to watch the classifieds but basically i'm looking for something that will compliment the LVWs without breaking the bank and that will perform well in a fast scope without a parcorr.

At the moment the 27mm panoptic is probably my number 1 choice but i'm interested in the thoughts of others before i make any decisions as id ideally like to see a little more sky than i will with the 27mm. Also open to other brands than what i have listed.

I should also mention some like the 21mm eithos are on the chart for comparison only. Id love one really but in a case of $200 eps, it might be a bit out of place. But in saying that, i'm happy to save for it cause i'm in the mind of doing this once and having pieces i can use for a lifetime in any other scopes i may get which i know is a pro with the LVWs. Also will note 90% of my viewing is suburban in Brissy and with small children attending star parties to test things out has been difficult so far. Anyway rambles over, hope you got through it

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psydjfwhiv.png

Edit: I cant seem to work out how to get a pic to work so hopefully that link above works.

Last edited by starkid; 31-03-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 31-03-2017, 04:41 AM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

Hi Tom and welcome to IIS!
I would stick to your guns with Televue or Explore Scientific eps. There are many 'bargain' wide angles out there and I've tried quite a few. All have disappointed to some extent - largely due to soft views and poor edge performance. Faster scopes obviously require better finished eyepieces so it's worth saving for the best.
I had both an Orion Edge-On(I think that was the type) 27mm and the TV27mm. No contest, the TV massively out-performed the Orion.

Though I haven't owned any of the wider ES eyepieces, I have had the 6.7mm and the 8.8mm and was very impressed by their views - 95% the quality of similar fl's. Other's will doubtless post their impressions, but I've not heard a bad word about them.

BTW, I share your experience with Pentax XWs. Despite struggling for weeks, I could not get a consistently comfortable eye position. This was a huge shame, as when I did manage to get it right, the views were just awesome!
Alas, IME if you can't get comfortable with a bit of gear in the first week, you never will. I'd sell it, reluctantly, and use the cash for a Pan or Nagler.
Its all great fun hunting for gear and I wish you good luck!
CS!
Pete
Old 31-03-2017, 02:38 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkid View Post
I also own a 10mm Pentax XW which is also awesome but for me its much harder to get eye placement perfect so i tend to go for the Vixens more.
Hi Tom,

I have been using the Pentax XW's for about 15 years. I have also used just about all the other premium eyepieces sold over the past 40 years. Once you get things sorted you will find the Pentax XW's to be very easy to use and very comfortable to use for long periods.

The 10mm Pentax XW is one of the absolute best eyepieces money can buy and has been for about 15 years. Persevere with it. As a matter of fact the only eyepiece I have found so far that I like better than it is the 12.5mm Docter and its North of $1k. That having been said the DELOS are also very good and the equal of the Pentax XW's, with the only differences being minor subtleties.

Some tips to try.

If you observe without glasses, start off by winding the eyecup right up to the top to minimise the distance between the top of the eye guard and your eye. Slowly wind it down little bits at a time until you find the spot most comfortable. It's likely you will find the most comfortable spot is with the eyeguard wound right up near the top.

If you observe with glasses, start off by winding the eyecup right down to the bottom to maximise the distance between the top of the eye guard and your eye. Slowly wind it up little bits at a time until you find the spot most comfortable. Its likely you will find the most comfortable spot is with the eyeguard wound right down near the bottom.

A very important tip is to learn to keep your head still and your eye in a fairly fixed position relative to the eye lens, when you're observing. You can't move your head around like noddy the clown and expect to comfortably hold the exit pupil with most long eye relief eyepieces. With short eye relief eyepieces its much easier to hold the exit pupil.

Keep at it and focus on the above points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkid View Post
At the moment the 27mm panoptic is probably my number 1 choice but i'm interested in the thoughts of others before i make any decisions as id ideally like to see a little more sky than i will with the 27mm.
The 27mm Panoptic is an ideal low power finder eyepiece for a 10" dob. Compared to some other 2" eyepieces it has a small light form factor so it doesn't cause balance issues and optically its very good in 10" ~F5 scopes.

Cheers
John B
Old 31-03-2017, 02:53 PM
rrussell1962

I have an LVW set and the Panoptic 27mm and 35mm. Panoptic 27mm is a gem of an eyepiece and complements the LVW's really well. Where in Brisbane are you Tom?
Old 31-03-2017, 03:59 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

I would have to agree that the Panoptic 27 was the first I thought of to your initial enquiry.
I used it relentlessly with my f4.7 10" SW DOB and it never failed to impress myself and others.
At 1.53 True Field of View (in your setup) it pretty much fills the bill.
Contrast and image are very good.
Only better eyepiece I saw in my scope was an Ethos.
It was a 17, so slightly more magnification but less FOV (1.42). But WOW.
Didn't have access to any larger Ethos.

Hope this helps.
Oh yeah, Welcome

Edit
BTW: I had a set of LVW's and I agree the LVW22 is a beautiful eyepiece, easy to use, comfortable. Having said that, I have onsold the set, as they were not quite up to the standard of my TVs and too close to warrant having both. Disclaimer:Just my Humble Opinion based on my viewing capabilities and shortcomings combined with my equipment].
(The link seems to work now, for me at least ie 6:25pmAEST)

Last edited by Allan_L; 31-03-2017 at 06:26 PM. Reason: extra comment not worthy of a new post
Old 31-03-2017, 04:40 PM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

If the 27mm Pan is a bit too expensive, I recommend the 28mm ES 68.

Excellent EP, even in my fast 10" F/4.7 reflector.

PS: Your link did not work...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (28mm ES 68.JPG)
65.4 KB10 views
Old 31-03-2017, 11:34 PM
starkid (Tom)

Wow thanks for the tips and detailed discussion guys. Definitely feeling welcomed. Cheers

I'm not sure what's going on with the link/pic. Works in my previews then becomes a link when i post but glad it seems to be working.

It seems the 27mm Panoptic is the way to go.

John - I'm pretty sure some of your posts on the 10mm XW where a big influence on my decision to try one out. At the time I only had the 17mm LVW so it was a good next step. It sure seems highly regarded and i do plan to keep at it as I do really enjoy it when i do get it right. I usually have my partner and 4yr old and occasionally other family/friends or mozzies around when viewing so sitting still enough may just be the problem. Cheers for all your tips!

Peter and Bytor666 - Thanks for confirming my impressions on the ES 68 degree range. The 28mm is likely my second choice behind the 27mm Pan at the moment. If one comes up in the classifieds i may just snap it up. The price difference is definitely tempting but most comparisons i can find seem to put the pan just on top. I looked at the 30mm 83 degree ES too but it seems i'm likely to get a lot of coma in my scope without a corrector so for now the 68 seems more appealing. I do understand a paracorr/corrector is likely on the cards at some stage in the future but i'd prefer to go down that road if/when i have a few EPs to use one on rather than forking out for it for just one.

And cheers to Allan and Russell for the inputs on the Pan and LVW's. Hard not to be convinced after what you have all said. Russell I am in Jamboree Heights. How about you? Would love to check out the Pan if you are close enough and if we happen to get some clear sky anytime soon.

Thanks again to all
Old 31-03-2017, 11:41 PM
rrussell1962

Hi Tom, If the river were not in the way I would be 5 minutes drive away! I'll message you tomorrow to start sorting out a time for you to try out the Pan 27 and 35 if you want to.
Old 31-03-2017, 11:43 PM
starkid (Tom)

That would be great and very much appreciated. Thanks Mate .