Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 09-04-2018, 01:29 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
After the initial healing period I got back into cycling, swimming, scuba and XC skiing to strengthen the muscles around that area and have had almost no recurrences in 20 years.....
Didn't realise you could come back from a fracture like that. Core training is underrated. It's so easy to do but often overlooked. Pilates, bodyweight exercise, etc... works wonders I reckon.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:28 PM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

sciatica

I agree - core strength so important for back issues. There is a book by a physio called "back in Motion", worth a read. Failing all that and if not settling there are some of the atypical anti convulsants used in management of sciatic pain- i.e gabapentin, pregabalin etc. Worth a try if nothing else helps. Nerve irritation pain often doesn't respond to opiate type pain killers.
Good luck
Graham
Old 10-04-2018, 10:03 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Thanks
Kunama
Marc
Graham
I can see the light!!!
Went to see this guy in Adelaide yesterday who does Bowen, remedial work.
The lower back pain that I've been putting up with for weeks has gone!!!!!
I still have the leg pain but nowhere near as bad so I had a pretty good sleep for a change.
I'm going back to see him this morning for a second treatment and getting a series of core and back strengthening exercises.
One thing he did tell me that this is no way a quick fix.
To do my work I have got some serious rebuilding of my whole spine and core.
Thanks for all your support I can't wait to carry out the heq5 outside without fear of any setbacks.
Cheers
Andy
Old 11-04-2018, 09:52 AM
Oddity (Andrew)

A bit late to this thread but it’s like you described my story word for word, with the exception of it being my L4/5 disc.

Mine got worse over the course of 12 months that in the end it was so bad I was completely sleep deprived, couldn’t walk more than a few metres and honest to god it felt literally like I had stood in a bear clamp.

I was in such a rotten mental state (extreme sleep deprivation will do that to you) that I developed extreme anxiety and anorexia nervosa. I genuinely lost the will to eat and was mentally shattered.

Eventually I went the nuclear option and chose surgery - fortunately my remaining disc was sufficient that I only required microsurgery (microdiscectomy). For fixing the sciatica, it was completely successful in eliminating pain, although it took the nerve time to repair (some residual big-toe and ankle numbness for a while). Nerves heal at an incredibly slow rate (which I guess you are finding out currently)

To get my back muscles functioning again (they’d been in a state of permanent lock for months) I went through a couple of months physio, but that could only get them back to about 70% functionality.

What really helped me get back to 95% function (which I’m content with) was good quality acupuncture with electrode treatment followed by intense deep tissue massage, especially breaking down the gluts in the outer butt area. They are major contributors towards pulling back and therefore spine out of place.

I eventually spaced out visits and maintained 6-weekly followups for a couple of years and eventually was able to cancel therapy and follow a daily stretch routine.

Last edited by Oddity; 11-04-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Oddity (Andrew)

Last post turned into a megapost (I feel your pain...) so I'm posting my stretch routine here separately:

Once per day, most importantly when your muscles are well warmed up (ie not when you wake up). This is important because cool muscles don’t stretch well (think of putting an elastic band in the freezer and trying to stretch it... then put it in the sun and try to stretch. A crude comparison, but it will do). The aim is to follow the steps below in order, you can stop early but don't skip steps, as your muscles gradually warm up even more from the previous stretch (which is why the first stretch seems relatively "tame").

- start lying down with knees bent and knee-rocking side to side for a couple of minutes
- still lying down, hold the knees and very gently at first, rock them in towards the chest a little, only as far as is comfortable. Initially this was barely an inch, don’t push it too soon too quickly. Over a long time this improved until I could roll my whole body back
- now stand against the wall and, leaning back, bend your knees slightly and flatten the curve of your lower spine so that it’s flush against the wall. keeping the lower back flush against the wall, gradually reach down to one side as far as is comfortable (again, don’t push it) and then reach down the other side. Reach side-to-side for at least 1 minute, all the while aiming to keep the lower spine flattened to the wall
- next, stand in a clear space with legs apart the same distance as shoulders. Bend knees slightly. Reach one arm forward, rotating your lower back a little (as always, only as far as is comfortable). Then rotate the other way and reach the other hand forward. Repeat for a minute, as if reeling in a rope, focusing on back rotation only as far as is comfortable.
- finally stand half a metre away from a very sturdy pole (one that will safely take your weight). Hold on to the pole at waist height and put your weight backwards as you hold on, gradually stretching forwards and leaning backwards at the same time as you hold on to the pole. Gently - don't push it while you are still recovering. In time you’ll be able to lean more and get a good back stretch going.

Hope some of this helps!

Last edited by Oddity; 11-04-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:42 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Im normally not the sort of guy who believes in miracles but 2 sessions of remedial therapy in walking straight have only a bit of pain in my leg.
My lower back is just a minor discomfort and ive cut all Tramadol and Panadine forte.
I can't believe what i was like 2 days ago until now.
Im nowhere near cured but the pain has 90% disappeared.
This guy just looked at my back saw what was out and first thing used a tens machine which turned from agony to sheer bliss.
Next was a laser thing up and down the individual nerves to find out what muscles were pulling my spine out and squashing the disc.
He found the muscle and put me in a twisted position that hurt then used this keneisio tape and physically held my spine and the pain stopped for the first time for over two weeks!!!!!
I know this sounds a bit airy fairy but this guy is a well know remedial therapist who does a lot of work with professional football players.
He did some more pressure point stuff with a bit of deep massage but only in small but multiple areas.
It really felt like switches been turned off and some been turned on.
I've been sent home for 2 days to just gently walk around but do not lift or stretch yet.
Back on Friday for a little more then i should be able to do some mild exercise.
He told me I've still got a long way to go to rebuild the structure of my whole spine and core but with a slow build up I should be back at full time work in a couple of months but only if I take it easy.
Thanks for everyone's support.
PS Thanks Andrew for the detailed stretches etc.
They sound very similar what Danny will give me.
2 days ago I was so depressed looking down a long and painful future and today I'm a completely a new person with a second chance not to completely destroy my back
Cheers to everyone who has given me encouragement especially my wife who has been caring for me without her i would still be in a ball on the floor crying my eyes out.

Keep you all posted
Old 12-04-2018, 08:09 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Andy
Great the hear things are getting better.
Problem management has a great deal to do with attitude and it is hard to maintain a good attitude when you miss sleep.
So try and relax even if unable to sleep.
I have a self talk routine and it really helps... it is a count your blessings thing really ...statements made to off set the problems...but the goal is to relax as pain seems to come harser if you are tired and up tight.
I really hope things keep getting better.
Alex
Old 12-04-2018, 10:41 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameiscd View Post
I know this sounds a bit airy fairy but this guy is a well know remedial therapist who does a lot of work with professional football players.
Keep you all posted
It does sound airy fairy but, whatever works

I've got a chronic condition and tried a hundred airy fairy treatments over the years; mostly it was a waste of money but I found two over the counter substances with potency similar to what would be expected from a prescription medication.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:02 PM
Oddity (Andrew)

Glad to hear it Andy. Particularly impressive that you were prepared to head to Adelaide to resolve it. Having been through it I'm always keen to try to help sciatica sufferers improve, so I'll add Bowen therapy to the list of suggestions in future.