Old 19-04-2018, 01:13 PM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

Image session planner

Hi guys, I'm looking for a piece of software that can give me suggestions of what to image based on my location, fov and skyglow limiting magnitude. Basically stuff that's bright and big enough to be imaged on any given night and time with an indication of best altitude. Would be great if it's ASCOM Integrated but not a must have - coordinates are fine. Any suggestions? If it's a phone/tablet app that would be great too. I have limited time for ap and would like to make the most of those rare opportunities.
Many Thanks in advance!
Cheers
Old 19-04-2018, 03:11 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Have a look at Paul's AstroPlanner.
It may meet your needs.
http://www.astroplanner.net/
Old 19-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Although its only a Windows PC App, have a look at SkyTools - it is a superb observation planning tool and the developer keeps it up to date. There is a "Telescope GoTo" Module that you can purchase which integrates into the main app.

It also features a 'what's up tonight" function so you can get a nice list of objects for your location, scope and observing hours.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 20-04-2018, 01:12 PM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

Hi Guys, thanks for the advice. Quite a price difference between the two. I'll see if I can trial both and make up my mind. Although I'm pretty interested in the real world experience of the imaging planner that comes with skytools. Have you worked with that-any user experience?
Old 20-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLight View Post
Hi Guys, thanks for the advice. Quite a price difference between the two. I'll see if I can trial both and make up my mind. Although I'm pretty interested in the real world experience of the imaging planner that comes with skytools. Have you worked with that-any user experience?
When I first purchased SkyTools several years ago, I remember struggling with the interface initially, as it wasn’t a typically visual “draw the sky” planetarium program like The Sky or Starry Night Pro, both of which I had licences for.

However, I am really glad that I persisted with learning how SkyTools works and have since upgraded to Version 2 and Version 3.

I use the program to produce lists of objects which I can then GoTo using the additional “Real Time” module which connects to my telescope mount.

Using SkyTools as an observation planning tool, I have chased down Double Stars, Carbon Stars, NEO’s, “What’s Up Tonight”, Solar System Objects, Dwarf Planets, etc. and there are many, many other objects/lists/events available which are comprehensively customisable.

You can filter by telescope size/type, eyepiece, camera, object’s altitude, moonlight or not, best observing/imaging sequence, limit to e.g. between 8:00pm and 4:00am, obstructed horizon, etc. etc.

When chasing down NEO’s I have found that the SkyTools import has been the most accurate in placing the object on the camera chip. I have never used the Observation Logging function where you can make notes, store images, etc. on all the objects you have observed so you can work through a compiled list of e.g. Planetary Nebulae.

Using SkyTools I can plan for E & W elongations of e.g. Phobos & Deimos as well as other solar system moons, along with Jupiter events. SkyTools also downloads DSS images as required.

The software author, Greg Crinklaw, is currently developing V4 which should be out sometime in 2018.

SkyTools is a functionally rich application and I only use a relatively narrow selection of what is available.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 20-04-2018, 04:51 PM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

Thanks Dennis. Very useful insight. Sounds like you are getting a lot of value even without the logging functionality etc. Perhaps I wait for v4 if it's out soon.
Old 22-04-2018, 04:07 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Astroplanner is ( was ? ) free but with limited catalogs. Still more than enough for me to try and image or see.
From the website "AstroPlanner is shareware and you are welcome to download and try a fully-functional version at no cost."
It has no expiry period, download and play.
Old 30-04-2018, 11:21 AM
Bobstewart (Bob)

If your after something for a tablet or phone then I would suggest Celestrons Skyportal (its free - developed with SkySafari and you don't have to have a Celestron scope) or SkySafari Pro.
Old 30-04-2018, 12:37 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

If you've got an internet connection available when you're wanting to plan, you could try this: https://dso-browser.com/