ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2012, 07:46 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Sunshine Coast astronomy group

I don't see a listing here for an astronomy group on the Sunshine Coast, and I cannot find SCAS anymore. If there is one4 already established, then please ignore and tell me who/what/where

Otherwise, I was thinking of establishing one, and have approached Sunshine Coast Uni already about using their sports ovals etc. Not the darkest spot, but not too bad and have on-site security. I know some of us don't want to travel too far, or out into Woop-Woop There is also farmland near by and am trying to find out who owns it to ask permission.

Be interested to start something if possible. Nothing formal, or requiring membership etc, just star party type events, communicate with each other via email etc.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I don't see a listing here for an astronomy group on the Sunshine Coast, and I cannot find SCAS anymore. If there is one4 already established, then please ignore and tell me who/what/where

Otherwise, I was thinking of establishing one, and have approached Sunshine Coast Uni already about using their sports ovals etc. Not the darkest spot, but not too bad and have on-site security. I know some of us don't want to travel too far, or out into Woop-Woop There is also farmland near by and am trying to find out who owns it to ask permission.

Be interested to start something if possible. Nothing formal, or requiring membership etc, just star party type events, communicate with each other via email etc.
Hi Lewis,we have a group of us meet here at Cambroon near Kenilworth on the Saturday nearest New Moon.
In fact this coming Saturday is the first since Astrofest.
You are welcome to come along.
See sticky at top of this forum.
I hope to see you here.
Cheers
Old 29-09-2012, 01:58 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Ya gotta love spam when the moderators are observing
Old 16-12-2015, 11:49 AM
john.pullen1 (John)

sunshine coast astro group

Hi Lewis,

Has this progressed, am looking for a astro group on sunshine coast myself.

John
Old 18-07-2016, 10:54 AM
kenwishaw (Ken)
Ken Wishaw

Sunshine Coast Astronomers

Hi All
I am trying to get in touch with other Sunshine Coast Astronomers.

I have had my 14" goto Dob for two years but know of only two other astronomers on the coast. I need some company!

My preferred site is Howell's knob. Little known lookout 7 minutes drive west of Maleny, off the Reeseville road. Highest spot on southern Sunshine Coast, ideal for astronomy and relatively unknown.

Specifically I am also garnering support from Sunshine Coast Astronomers and nearby region to help my push for this site to be declared a designated dark sky site by the Sunshine Coast council. The council are reviewing the concept favourably so any help would be appreciated.

Friday sep 2 I will be there weather permitting and Saturday Sep 3 I will go to Cambroon if it is open for use.

Appreciate you sending this to anyone you think could help.
Will be at QLD astrofest the entire duration. If there make yourself known to me.

Regards
Ken
Old 18-07-2016, 12:07 PM
wayne anderson (Wayne)

Hi Ken, a few years back we were living in Landsborough and Peachester area, the sky is much darker out at Rons place at Cambroon and well worth the drive out there and Ron is a good bloke great to chat with and his 16inch dob gives great views, but as you said there are some dark areas near Maleny area. The thred below mentions some areas i have used, there are still quite a few astronomers living in the Sunshine Coast area im sure they may mention other areas of interest.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=101070
Old 22-07-2016, 06:09 AM
cazza132 (Troy Casswell)

Hi Lewis, would be cool to catch up onsite with fellow sunny coast astronomers. Based at Coolum Beach, Cambroon is about 1hr away and is quite dark, esp upward and westward viewing. Another site, although not quite as dark, is Lake Cooloolabin (west from Yandina), which has served me well over the last few years. Glen Echo, Kilkivan are very dark when the wind is not blowing SE (prone to cloud bombing), and Maclagan (near Bunya Mountains) is west of the divide making it resilient to east wind cloud bombing and is very dark
Old 22-07-2016, 10:26 PM
kenwishaw (Ken)
Ken Wishaw

I am presenting on dark sky issues at Astrofest on Saturday 30 th July.
I have met with a representative of the Sunshine Coast Regional Council re taking action to protect and do some improvements to help astronomers at Howell's knob at Reeseville just west of Maleny. If you do not know it, it is a superb site.

As we have the division 5 (Maleny) councillor coming up with me on Friday September 2nd, I would like to see as many astronomers up there that evening as possible , as a show of popularity.

Spread the word.

Regards

Ken
Old 31-07-2016, 09:36 AM
rozuz (Damien)

Hi guys,

I recently purchased an 8" Reflector and an EQ5 goto.... still learning how to drive this thing... any help much appreciated.

My father also purchased a 14" Dob on a goto... bit easier to use than mine.

We're both keen to get together, he lives in Sippy Downs, me in Nambour. Howell's Knob sounds like a reasonable spot. I will tell the old man about the 2nd & plan to be there. Might even drag the 12yr old daughter along with her 4" reflector & try my best to show her how to use it.

Lets pray for clear skies :-)

Damien.
Old 26-08-2016, 07:48 PM
frankly1 (Frank)

Hi all, I will also head out next Saturday to Kenilworth. Would be nice to meet more sunny coast Astro folk. Cheers from Frank and
PS check previous thread for directions, as there is no mobile phone help when nearby.... Like back to the good 'ol days 😐